1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vamos Andy :D :D :D

A-Rod questions absent Europeans
Eurosport - Tue, 24 Jul 08:35:00 2007
Andy Roddick questioned the logic of playing claycourt tournaments in July as he readied his bid for a third title in five tries at the Indianapolis Championship.

The fifth-ranked American teamed with pal Mardy Fish in a doubles victory on Monday, taking every chance to prepare for the US Open which starts in a month on the New York hardcourts.

Two Indy seeds were ousted in the US Open tune-up as Canada's Frank Dancevic beat German eighth seed Benjamin Becker 6-4 6-3 and Germany's Michael Berrer defeated US seventh seed Robby Ginepri 3-6 6-2 6-1.

But across the Atlantic, the summer European clay season is thriving, with Rafael Nadal winning Stuttgart at the weekend while third-seeded Novak Djokovic is playing in Croatia this week.

Most top names - including Swiss world number one Roger Federer and Nadal - won't venture onto North American hardcourts until the Montreal ATP Masters event starting in a fortnight.

Standard procedure for the household names is to play two Masters events and take a week off prior to the August 27 start of the US Open.

Among the top 10, only Roddick, number nine James Blake and Chilean Australian Open finalist Fernando Gonzalez have played during the past two weeks on the hardcourts.

"It's not surprising to see us (Americans) here and the Europeans on clay," Roddick said. "But it feels like we're at least building for something while they may be just trying to stack up (ranking) points."

Roddick last played one of the main French Open tune-ups, the Monte Carlo Masters, in 2003 when he lost in the first round.

Roddick will compete in his first match since a Wimbledon semi-final embarrassment - he lost from two sets ahead - when he opens in singles against Russian Alex Kuznetsov on Tuesday night.

Americans own 14 of 32 places in the Indianapolis draw, with Roddick and countryman Blake holding the last three titles.

Roddick said that he's happy to be playing on US soil after a long road trip in Europe during the French Open-to-Wimbledon run.

"I can understand how they might like to stay at home for as long as they can," he said of his European rivals.

Ginepri, whose career has slid downhill after the highlight 2005 season when he won his second career title at Indy, now stands 45th after a third loss in a row in the first round.

American Sam Querrey snapped a seven-match losing streak, the 20-year-old American trashing 60th-ranked Frenchman Julien Benneteau 7-6 (8-6) 6-1 for his first victory since April 29 on clay at Estoril.

Querrey, ranked 91st, crashed out against qualifiers in the first round of the French Open and Wimbledon.

"It was nice to finally get this win," he said. "I hadn't won a match in so long. Every time you lose, it drains your confidence. This one is good for morale."
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/58/rod-questions-absent-europeans.html

Just stacking up ranking points? A low blow from Roddick, clearly believing that the US open series is VASTLY superior to the euro clay :rolleyes:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
:lol:

be thankful Andy, this way you can win a MM from time to time

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Does it make sense to play on clay when the next major is on clay?

Personally, I dont care. Take your titles where you can.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Jonathan you are a trouble maker. :ras:;) Quote the other stuff that he said for the slow people that won't read it all.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
Jonathan you are a trouble maker. :ras:;) Quote the other stuff that he said for the slow people that won't read it all.
it's all there :shrug:

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
"It's not surprising to see us (Americans) here and the Europeans on clay," Roddick said. "But it feels like we're at least building for something while they may be just trying to stack up (ranking) points."

"I can understand how they might like to stay at home for as long as they can," he said of his European rivals.

They all do it. American's stay in American the European guys stay over there. It goes both ways and they all bitch at each other for it.

it's all there :shrug:
I mean some people will skim and just read that little part the title, and what Jonathan said. It's not really that vicious of a comment. We were talking about it in the andy forum Jonathan knows why I said that.

The kid knows I adore him and wasn't giving him shit.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
lol...he didnt say anything heretic

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Just wait, with all the anti-clay attitude, Tennis will become golf and have two seprate tours.

They will only mingle with each other during the majors.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Of course, if one concentrates on the South Americans rather than the Europeans, it's obvious that their choice is based more on surface preference than on homesickness, bearing in mind they'll be a long way from home in either the US or Europe. I mean there aren't even any Spanish-speaking tournaments during this clay court season, so you can't say they're "at home" in that sense either.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Well, this sort of summarizes the don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse part of the comment. Andy.... sometimes best not to say anything.

Roddick last played one of the main French Open tune-ups, the Monte Carlo Masters, in 2003 when he lost in the first round.
Every player does what is best for themselves, their points, their advantage.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well, this sort of summarizes the don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse part of the comment. Andy.... sometimes best not to say anything.

The thing that strikes me about that is that Monte Carlo is a Masters tournament, yet he hasn't played in four years? But he's making comments about them 'stacking up points' in Europe rather than come to North America a month earlier than they need to for LA and Indianapolis? I'm guessing most of the Europeans will show up for Montreal and Cincinnati. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
928 Posts
as much as i hate the asshole he does have a point.

The atp international clay season runs from January(chile) to late September(italy) that's almost the entire atp calender. So it is unfair that most of the dirt ball juicers have a year round opportunity to avoid the other surfaces and get cheap atp international points mud wrestling.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Andy is right....but as said, he does the same thing during the clay season. So yeah, he should just shut up and stop losing to gay frenchmen on his best surface.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
as much as i hate the asshole he does have a point.

The atp international clay season runs from January(chile) to late September(italy) that's almost the entire atp calender. So it is unfair that most of the dirt ball juicers have a year round opportunity to avoid the other surfaces and get cheap atp international points mud wrestling.
who cares, only 5 count anyways.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
They all do it. American's stay in American the European guys stay over there. It goes both ways and they all bitch at each other for it.

I mean some people will skim and just read that little part the title, and what Jonathan said. It's not really that vicious of a comment. We were talking about it in the andy forum Jonathan knows why I said that.

The kid knows I adore him and wasn't giving him shit.
Yippee!!!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts