Registered
12,469 Posts
Damnit. Would've been hilarious.

When will Fish oFISHially retire?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Petition to allow Roddick and Fish to play U.S Open Doubles

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-usta-give-andy-roddick-and-mardy-fish-a-wildcard-to-play-the-us-open

http://www.si.com/tennis/2014/07/29/report-fish-and-roddicks-attempt-us-open-comeback-thwarted
"I started thinking, man, he never got his just due," Roddick said. "If he has played his last professional tennis match — and I don't think that's known by him or anyone else at this point — but if he has I don't want it to be defaulting a third set of an ATP warmup event for the U.S. Open in Winston Salem. So I kind of just floated the idea, 'Hey, man, if you ever want to get out there and have a great time and have a great memory just in case it is the last one, I'd play doubles with you at the US Open if you wanted me to.' We've been friends, we went to high school together, we went through our entire careers as brothers, as Davis Cup teammates, the whole deal. Selfishly I wanted him to see him have an awesome time on the tennis court again."
They've been denied a wildcard because of WADA anti-doping rules:

Roddick soon learned he was ineligible to play because he had filed his retirement papers and had not been under WADA's anti-doping protocols during the three months prior to the U.S. Open.

"I am not eligible for a U.S. Open wildcard, which f------ sucks because I was looking forward to it on a lot of different levels. " Roddick said.

Roddick's frustration was exacerbated by the fact that his formal retirement, which helped the rankings of other players on tour, ended up hurting him.

"Frankly, if common sense won in this one, I passed 14 years of tests during my career, filed the papers that you wanted me to file ... I feel by doing the right thing and actually filing my retirement papers and not just letting it fall off, I kinda got f----- in the end of this thing, which I'm not really thrilled about.

"I get the rule in place, the three-month rule, but I feel like there should be maybe an appeal process," Roddick added. "Listen, if I'm going to do performance-enhancing drugs and make a comeback, I promise you it's not going to be for one doubles tournament at the U.S. Open. That's for sure. Obviously there's no common sense in the ruling, but it is what it is and they're going to stick to the rules."
Don't know if petitioning would have any impact on the decision, but it's worth a try. Their pairing could heighten interest in the doubles (which needs any and all the star power it can get) and be a nice sendoff for Fish.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Re: Petition to allow Roddick and Fish to play U.S Open Doubles

Duck rejected by the very association that gifted him a slam

poetic justice bitch

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts

signed. It would be fun to see those two again at a Slam (not that I expect anything to be changed, but, still, takes 10 seconds :p )

·
Registered
82 Posts

Two of my fav comimg back together for a last doubles try at NY. Well it Can't be but Roddick did not say what were Mardy's thougths about his idea.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts

"Frankly, if common sense won in this one, I passed 14 years of tests during my career, filed the papers that you wanted me to file ... I feel by doing the right thing and actually filing my retirement papers and not just letting it fall off, I kinda got f----- in the end of this thing, which I'm not really thrilled about.
1) Slippery slope
2) Does he not understand the underlying purpose of random drug testing?
3) I don't think he dopes so I honestly don't care whether or not he plays. But allowing him to play would set an EXTREMELY bad precedent for an organization that is already criticized for not doing enough.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Regardless of the doping-thing, it´s a terrible idea. GS tournaments are for active players, players who play week in-week out and have a sufficciently high ranking to participate. WC´s are mostly for young players so they can gain some experience that will help them with their career. There are veteran-tournaments for retired players who have been active only with their golfing and barbecue for the last couple of years. Yes, it is kind of sad that Fish has just dissapeared without a real retirement, but GS is not the place to make up for it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Did he get the idea from Rafter/Hewitt at the AO? Cause it worked so well for them...

·
23,063 Posts
So another Retro team for the USO like Rafter-Hewitt (although infairness to them they were defeated by the would be Finalists and defeater of the Bryan Brothers)? I guess that would be interesting, however if Roddick had plans for it he should've prepared for the needed things. If it is for Fish's official retirement then maybe they should try though. Maybe Fish could pair up with a young American?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Regardless of the doping-thing, it´s a terrible idea. GS tournaments are for active players, players who play week in-week out and have a sufficciently high ranking to participate. WC´s are mostly for young players so they can gain some experience that will help them with their career.
I agree. Since this is mainly a "for fun" idea, an ATP tournament would be good enough. After Rafter/Hewitt at the Aussie Open, this should not become a tradition, despite the public enthusiasm for it. It's nice to see them play together, but they don't need the biggest stage for that.

And there should certainly not be an exception to doping rules.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
So another Retro team for the USO like Rafter-Hewitt (although infairness to them they were defeated by the would be Finalists and defeater of the Bryan Brothers)? I guess that would be interesting, however if Roddick had plans for it he should've prepared for the needed things. If it is for Fish's official retirement then maybe they should try though. Maybe Fish could pair up with a young American?
Well, it would have to be one who'd be willing to play doubles without any ambitions except to see Fish get a proper sendoff. Tough ask of the youngsters.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Andy is not that good of doubles player anyway :lol:

Can Mardy play with James Blake? They used to be a great team.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Why not team with Jonny Mac?

Honestly, Fish could team with Querrey....if the question is who would have a low enough level of ambition to team with him.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
ok so the stupid question is: which performance-enhancing drug he could have taken last month (or two months ago) that would still allow him to overperform after being 'clean' for an entire month? (I'm taking today where he could be tested till the day the USO begins)

Why not team with Jonny Mac?

Honestly, Fish could team with Querrey....if the question is who would have a low enough level of ambition to team with him.
and Querrey is notoriously know for his high ambitions.
Can Mardy play with James Blake? They used to be a great team.
wouldn't the same problem arise?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts