Mens Tennis Forums banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

Registered
While the whole Laver worshipping charade some MTFers perform is really tiring for reasons discussed ad nauseam (tennis was a whole different, less professional sport, way less talent pool, only two surfaces, "Slams" could be won with less than seven match wins etc.), I have to say it's even more tiring to assume Laver's tweets are some masterful trolling. I'm pretty sure most of his tweets aren't even created by him, as he, like most celebrities, probably has some PR personnel to take care of his official Twitter/FB/whatever accounts.

I know MTF is a place that can mess with the heads of the inexperienced ones, and people could end up so paranoid here that they sense trolling and agendas behind every word. But this is still a ridiculous idea.

Laver called Djokovic now "one of the greatest", big deal. It wasn't a dig at Novak. Anyone thinking that Rod gives a damn about being a "brilliant internet troll" at the age of 83 is seriously losing it. In a way, it is also very unimaginative: the assumption that, since our little cesspool, MTF is filled with civilians in their 20s and 30s who are interested in being a clever troll, a multimillionaire ex-champion in his eighties must operate and think the same way so there must be an angle behind his words and how clever is he who can find it...

Come on now.

Registered
Wonder if Rodpa Grandpa really thinks it is even possible to do 2 CYGSes in the current era. Tennis is a different ball game now.
True, seems no hardcourt at that time, he only needed to excel in two surfaces, also the competition was not that keen at that older days. Obviously the big three are greater than him.

Reactions: Tennis9000+

Registered
No.. Roger was never in CYGS situation. For that you need to win first 3 to even have a possibility...
Yes, but that's just due to the way the slams are scheduled which made his worst slam on his worst surface, where he faced the most dominant player on a single surface in history, the second of the year. The fact that the US Open is the last slam of the year rather than the French doesn't actually make Novak's accomplishment any greater.

Registered
Reactions: MTwEeZi

Registered
The old bat can brag about quest, yes, but let's not fool ourselves here: winning CYGS back then, without media pressure, game popularity and self awareness we have today was far easier then it is now. Not to mention tempo, surface variaty, busy yearly schedule, collision with OG and other factors. Yes, the quest continues.

Registered
Djokovic's Nole Slam is way better than Laver's overhyped CYGS when they smoked cigarettes on the changeovers. It's not even close.
Competition is always relative to the era. If they smoked between changeovers, it doesn't mean that the losing opponent didn't mind losing.

Registered
I find some of the comments strange. Rod Laver, whom as it seems by my nickname I like very much, is a wonderful player and gentleman. He has said many times in the past that if there would be someone who can hold the 4 GS at the same time, this would be Djokovic. He said it in 2013. He said that he wants to see someone do it. He wanted it last night, he hit his leg after the second set "Na, it won't be tonight" - he knew it and he was sorry. He congratulated Djokovic after RG 2016 and stressed that no one has done it since 1969 - sportsmen, no matter the records, appreciate the game much more than us - regular fans. Because they know what it takes to be there at the top. He was there in the semifinal and watched Zverev vs Djokovic. The man is old and doesn't go to matches like that in recent years. One could see he was there to watch Djokovic. And he hinted at the start of the tournament that Djokovic didn't have the right attitude because he put too much pressure on himself. Maybe Novak should have taken Rod in his team instead of his coaches because no one there seemed to comprehend the situation and the psychological pressure that Novak was going through. He should have asked to speak with the old man to learn something from him - I bet he would have helped him thousand times more with his words of experience and wisdom,

Registered
Djokovic's Nole Slam is way better than Laver's overhyped CYGS when they smoked cigarettes on the changeovers. It's not even close.
50 years from now... Novak's tennis is also going to look over hyped and silly to that generation. That is the reality of evolution. If tennis survives until then, that is. Given their wooden rackets, those days games, travel issues and everything.. What Laver did is phenomenal, and undisputable GOAT worthy. Numbers also get inflated. For instance, Fed had Sampras he targeted.. so he crossed that number. Nadal and Djoko targeting Fed.. they have that number to aim for. For Sampras, what was motivation after 14? Also think about technology, medicine. Nowadays players have all stats in hands to change their games, the top players can act like Kings with private jets etc. You take everything into account and you watch how that generation played and how Laver played in that generation.. you won't be using the word "over hyped" on Laver. As a huge Fed fan, who I used to consider as GOAT, I went back and did my research watched enough games. if you take the media's recency bias out.. if you look at sport as real history.. you can't argue against Laver.

Registered

Registered
CYGS is the ULTIMATE tennis accomplishment. It's the Petetards who started this slam record nonsense when he overtook...wait for it....Emerson! Before Pete, "slam record" wasn't even a thing.

The top of the pyramid = winning the GRAND SLAM. Infact even calendar slam is a shade on "The grand slam" which is winning all 4 slams in the year but village idiots who don't understand the term have to be explained slowly, REAL slow that it's calendar slam.
:ROFLMAO: you cant even back up your love Olderer because you know Djokovic is ahead of him so as last straw you lach on Laver. Its sad and funny at same time

Registered
True, seems no hardcourt at that time, he only needed to excel in two surfaces, also the competition was not that keen at that older days. Obviously the big three are greater than him.
A big No. Competition not keen then? Who comes up with this stuff?
Hard court not there, so? Tomorrow something else gets added.. will that diminish big three now?
See, a clear goal was mentioned as holy grail of tennis. It is the goal. Bringing Laver down is not fair now. Acknowledging current GOATs failed to do what Laver did is the best way.

Now, Laver's career is not only great just because of CYGS. Had he done just that and nothing else.. we won't put him in GOAT list. He has won about 200 titles, stayed world no.1 enough time to be considered great (9 different years)- on top of all this, his game is also very great and at his time and era he won the most important titles enough times as well. On top of all this - he achieved the holy grail. Laver was banned for 5 years of his prime before winning that 11 too.. imagine. Legends played in his era, acknowledged his greatness too, same as now. btw - Laver won some hard court tournaments too, proved his prowess there as well. How is competition in 2021 any better? We all saw the level of tennis played this year too.

The point remains this, all our big three have their own weaknesses. Federer is unfortunate a bit with 6/5 year younger 2 other GOATs.. At the same time, he maybe fortunate too, as the numbers won't be as high as 20 each. But, there was an opportunity for current era player also - yes - it is unfair to Laver to compare this era to him, but still - it is the biggest match. That is why Novak said "heart, mind, soul, body in, as if the last match of my life". He just didn't do it.. and a total let down.

GOAT conversation is actually unfair to previous era champions. As current players always learn from past and do better.. if not that is even worse. Big three are great.. Laver is also great. You want to bring comparison who is greater, consider all factors. Even big three don't always have all of them in great forms all the time. They all had lot of easy wins too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I think you're trying to read into this one too much.
laver has a lot of form for this type of stuff. It's a pattern of behaviour.

Registered
Rod with 11 slams, a career built on beating guys like powder puff, side arm serve Rosewall, there's really nothing for him to rub in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Rod with 11 slams, a career built on beating guys like powder puff, side arm serve Rosewall, there's really nothing for him to rub in.
19 slams
More weeks at #1 374
3 x CYGS
3X CGS
4 Davis Cups.
200 titles

A lot to rub in my friend 馃悙:cool:

Registered
So what. Its not like Fed or Nadal accomplished the feat either. Laver's 200 titles is probably his biggest achievement. Not a calendar slam on two surfaces. Novak could win the Calendar Slam in 2021 if it was just grass and clay as Nadal is washed up and no one is even close to Novak on grass now since all the competition is on hards.

Laver may be GOAT but you can't compare today to then. Its hard enough to make comparisons now to even the 90s

81 - 100 of 132 Posts