Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we still have a major championship to decide, but I was looking at next week's schedule and saw that s'Hertogenbosch and Stuttgart are being played. Well, RBA is the defending champion of BOTH tournaments. As they were both 250's and he can obviously only play in one, his ranking may go down dramtically due to this quirk. He chose to play in s'Hertogenbosch and got a bye, so he gains 20 points. Don't know his "Best of other countable tournaments" situation, but this has to be the first time ever a player is the defending champion of 2 events in the same week?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: Roberto Bautista-Agut could lose over 400 ranking points next week thanks to an o

Ranking points drop off in the equivalent week 12 months later not necessarily the same week the tournament is held in the following year. For example Murray won the Madrid Open in 2008 when it was indoors and in October. It was then moved to April/May in 2009 and he was the defending champion BUT his ranking points didn't drop off until October, which was obviously fairer. I assume the same will be true for RBA.

·
Rankings Master
16,082 Posts
Re: Roberto Bautista-Agut could lose over 400 ranking points next week thanks to an o

I don't know how you calculated.

1. Defending champ in 2 ATP 250 tournaments = 500 pts.
2. Points ALWAYS drop out 52 weeks after they are counted in. Even if Stuttgart will be found twice within 52 weeks, both point sets WILL count until 52 weeks pass after Stuttgart 2014.

·
24,301 Posts

The shelf-life of the points won on a tournament is based on 52-weeks from when the tournament was finished and not the tournament itself.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Also: He will not gain 20 points by beating bye. :wavey:

·
Rankings Master
16,082 Posts

Question answered, further comments are pointless and serve only to create confusion.

RBA will NOT drop 400 (or 500) points next week. Only 250.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.