Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know idolwatcher1 I believe you talked sometime ago that Robby needed to work on movement and flexibility. I think you are right. Robby's muscles are nice to look at :drool: but if he doesn't work on flexibility he may get too "muscle bound". I think that is the term that is used. Which may have led to his current injury problem
:sad: I hope he recovers quickly :)

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I really can't imagine he doesn't work on flexibility... every player i've ever seen practice or seen shows on TTC or whatever always does lots and lots of stretching/flexibility work

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You know idolwatcher1 I believe you talked sometime ago that Robby needed to work on movement and flexibility. I think you are right. Robby's muscles are nice to look at :drool: but if he doesn't work on flexibility he may get too "muscle bound". I think that is the term that is used. Which may have led to his current injury problem
:sad: I hope he recovers quickly :)
At the end of 2005 (during the offseason), I remember mentioning that I thought Robby should try implementing yoga-type exercises to stretch and relax his muscles when he isn't training them. I said this not to suggest that he doesn't normally do some type of stretching in the offseason, but because of the mental/emotional health benefits that are linked to such exercises when done properly. At the end of 2005, I felt his biggest weakness was how he handled his emotions during matches. Once he would become negative, he would typically make an increasing number of unforced errors and his focus would appear to cease altogether... his body language would resemble that of a defeated player (which benefits his opponent and gives them more hope/belief that they can beat him).

Not surprisingly, in the 2nd round of the 2006 Australian Open, Robby fully displayed the effects that his negative emotions would have on his game. Yes, he had reason to be negative that day... the wind on MCA was anything but kind to him and he was, little by little, losing a match that he was very close to winning in straight sets. But it was how he seemed to dwell on those negative emotions that made all the difference. Gremelmayr adopted the strategy of allowing Robby to "beat himself"...

Before I make the mistake of writing another book *sigh* :rolleyes: ... I remember saying that in addition to the mental/emotional benefits of doing yoga-type exercises, that it was also a form of injury-prevention to the extent that not only would his muscles be relaxed and limber going into his matches, but the exercises would help alleviate the effects that nervousness/tension can have on a player (helping reduce the possibility of muscle cramping/straining/pulling).

However, not long after I posted this suggestion years ago, I read that Taylor Dent was himself doing yoga exercises... And then he messed up his back :eek:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor Taylor :sad: But I saw a dated "No Strings" on the Tennis Channel (2004) on Tommy Haas and he did this yoga move that I found hard to believe :eek: I thought it needed one of those disclaimers on the screen--you know--don't try this at home :lol: With yoga you have to be very careful and have someone well trained to teach you those moves. Also poor Robby looks negative when he wins :confused: See my thread about Robby and smiles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts