Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yay for Robby closing out the match without a hiccup this morning, and then going out a few hours later and winning his quarterfinal match :)

Shubert was there to see the first day of the Reynolds match, and wrote this about it:
The encounter between these two has produced the best tennis in the tournament so far at this year’s Honolulu Challenger. Ginepri is a beast when it comes to returning, stamina, and grinding. Bobby seems faster out on the court but Ginepri had him on a string the entire first set, winning it 6-2. The match is currently suspended due to rain and will continue the next day. Here’s some insight into the match so far:

Ginepri has a world class backhand. He takes it early, doesn’t miss a single return of serve, and can take it cross court and up the line with ease. His forehand is able to absorb pace and pin Reynolds to a corner or keep him guessing side to side. Tonight, the Ginepri serve was on, hitting second serve aces at times. This coupled with his returns makes for really high level tennis. The rallies would last 20 or 30 balls of just side to side, corner to corner, finally ending with an error because no man was willing to give up court.

Reynolds has top 100 level movement. Unfortunately all of this was on display in the first set and not much of else. His recovery steps and his ability to push through his shots despite being on the run make him able to hang with Ginepri, but the balls are never really there for the taking. Reynolds looks stretched all the time whereas Ginepri is just “there”, striking and hitting where he wants to instead of reacting to Reynolds’ shots.

Reynolds is able to pop his serve in there for aces, but more often than not he’s forced to play long points and low percentage shots due to the Ginepri return.

It was really exciting stuff tonight, the crowd at the Kailua Racquet Club was large and enjoyed every point these two USA veterans played.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I found out Robby's QF was defeating A. Delic 6-4 and 6-4. Too bad what Shubert said about Robby in the CH doesn't seem to apply to Robby now at the ATP level :sad: May be there could still be hope for him, if he could ever get his head together, but age wise he is running out of time to turn things around :sad:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Robby did well to make a comeback in his semifinals match to win it! :eek: His opponent was serving for the match, and Robby was able to break and eventually win the 2nd set, and then convincingly win the deciding set. :) I didn't see any of the match, so I can't say if his opponent just melting away or if Robby was just giving it all he had, but either way, I'm happy Robby is in the finals!

Hopefully he feels good tomorrow and can give it all he has to win and keeping his unforced errors down!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes it took him 3 Sets to win against Sugita. It is nice for Robby to get to a Final :) I hope now he can win a Final :unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

Soeda, Ginepri into Honolulu Challenger Finals
Prior to the Honolulu Challenger, Soeda competed in the qualifying rounds of the Australian Open and was a semifinalist at the Aircel Chennai Open, an ATP World Tour event where he beat No. 22 Stanislas Wawrinka in the quarterfinals.
En route to tomorrow’s finals, Robby Ginepri beat his third seed of the tournament, No. 7 Yuichi Sugita of Japan, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2.

“Yuichi was playing well in the beginning and outplayed me in the first set and a half. He had a chance to serve out the match so he was right there,” said Ginepri about being down a set and 4-5 against Sugita, No. 209 and is also on the Japan Davis Cup team. “He has a bright career and this guy is going to be a great player so look out for him.”

Ginepri has won three career ATP singles titles. In addition, he has reached the fourth round or better at all four Grand Slam events, peaked at No. 15 in the world rankings in 2006 and competed for the U.S. Davis Cup team in 2004 and 2009.

“A match is really never over until you shake a guy’s hand,” said Ginepri who holds a current rank of No. 313. “I kept that in the back of my mind and fought hard. I wasn’t playing great tennis but I found a way to win today.”

Ginepri returned to the USTA Pro Circuit in 2011, working to regain form after an arm injury kept him out of action from October 2010 through the middle of last year. In his first tournament back, Ginepri reached the quarterfinals at the $50,000 Challenger in Winnetka, Illinois and he later advanced to the final of the $100,000 Challenger in Vancouver.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I totally jinxed him :help: His serve betrayed him in the final.

the good news is that Robby moved upward in the rankings more than any other person in the Top 300 this week (+61 spots), and is currently the highest ranked player to play less than 10 tournaments in the last 12 months.

A challenger win could move him up another 70-80 spots, and get up around 175. He needs to keep it going!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
He definitely needs to keep it up! But you know I wonder if Robby isn't thinking of the wrapping up of his tennis career? He waited a long time to become engaged unlike other players maybe thinking that a career of a Pro Tennis Player is not the best career for a married man to have? And I have to say I agree with that myself! I will, of course, continue to follow Robby's career until he hangs up his Pro Tour Tennis Racquet for good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is also another bright side: without a dominant US player right now, he can steal the light from the other colleagues easier than before on condition that his way to be up & up.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If his way is up and up? And isn't Mardy still in the Top 10?
Yes, Mardy is still Top 10. I'm guessing the comment is assuming that Robby climbs higher and higher up the rankings, this could become a storyline that gets him attention. Not sure I would go there, but I guess the possibility exists. Sam Querrey will also be coming back to some extent, and that will likely give him attention if he does well. Although, Robby's fallen the farthest from grace it seems out of the US players that have been ranked in the Top 20, so a true comeback would certainly be a powerful story.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Nice article from Shubert where he talks about hitting with Robby and the conclusion of the Honolulu tournament. Sounds like the match ended with a controversial line call :unsure:

I didn’t ask to take a picture with Robby Ginepri today. I was in a different mindset this time and had different ideas about the whole situation as I hit with the legendary grinder this morning. It was a last minute thing this morning as I got a call requesting to see if I could hit with Robby before his final round match against Japanese #99 Go Soeda of the $50,000 Honolulu Challenger. As usual, I sprung at the opportunity and jetted over the H3 freeway through the mountains over into quiet Kailua.

When I arrived, Travis Rettenmaier and Amer Delic were warming up on a court getting ready for their doubles final and Robby was happy to see that I came and could warm him up. I was nervous and warmed up as best I could doing my shoulder band exercises and getting my legs ready. My strokes or timing aren’t clean in the wind, it’s something I need to be exposed to more (I played 4 years of college tennis basically indoors the entire time). Granted I am from Hawaii but with the balls traveling faster and deeper it’s something that takes getting used to.

Robby and I hit through the middle of the court at first, I tried to hit Soeda’s flatter and low-trajectory ball while maintaining consistency to give him a good hit. Then we switched to cross courts then some volleys where I moved him side to side, giving him some realistic balls on the run. He joked around a little bit with Travis and had a few words with me and it was a really cool experience, I felt like we were just hanging out as normal tennis dudes hitting some balls, he doesn’t have a huge ego and it was cordial. At one point during our hit, I did lose my concentration off the ball and realize, this guy hitting backhands to me right now is a guy I was watching on TV, and he’s hitting really well on top of being a really cool dude. Of course I had to block these kinds of thoughts out and just tried to follow through on my backhand! Haha

What I admire the most about Robby is his workman like attitude. When his Under Armour hat goes on his head, it is his work hat. He gets his pail his racket his hat, and he goes to work. He’s one of the most solid grinders ever in my opinion and if you remember his US Open semifinal run, how many 5 set matches did he have to go through to get there?! This whole week he was mentally fit to work through his points and not get agitated or supremely fired up. No codes, no huge come on’s, just workman-like in his approach to the game.

Rettenmaier and Delic won the doubles title over Jack Sock and Nick Monroe. It was very windy throughout and it was tough for either team to develop a solid rhythm on return games. There were some exciting volley to volley exchanges that usually ended with Delic or Rettenmaier smashing away a ball.

Unfortunately Ginepri wasn’t able to win his final match against Soeda. Soeda was able to play a bit more solidly and hit through his shots more cleanly. So I guess you can blame the warm up (I know I know) but it was amazing to see Soeda’s footwork and movement again. There were many points at 30all and ad points where Soeda just came up with the goods. Most of the match commentary for Soeda would’ve been: “That’s too good” – “He’s on fire right now” – Late in the second set: “Oh wow he finally made an unforced error”. So that was the kind of player Robby had to deal with today and while he came back from being breaks down and take the 2nd set to a tiebreak, Soeda was able to hang tough and close the match out with a controversial passing shot winner that appeared to be out by the ball mark but the line judge missed the call. Game Set Match Go (Soeda).

It was interesting being a part of Team Ginepri for the past few days and it’s something I will hold onto. I didn’t ask for a picture because maybe this is something that can continue later in the future when I go out on tour and see them again. At least that’s my personal thought or hope right now – Usually I give you guys a photo of me hitting with current or former pros. I believe I can learn alot from the Ginepri game and attitude, something that will benefit my own game. We parted ways and he called me later in the day to ask which beach would be appropriate for a chill-out session. I told him about a few of my personal favorite secluded spots and sent him, his fiance, and Travis on their way with good luck and safe travels.

Time to get back to full-time training tomorrow as I have hits lined up at UH and physical workouts at Punahou School. Aloha from the 2012 Honolulu Challenger!

Shubert

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So the line calls are even bad at CHs! They were awful at the A.O. :ras:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
So the line calls are even bad at CHs! They were awful at the A.O. :ras:
apparently so... :help: but at least at the A.O. some courts had hawkeye. Yes, the lower ranked players generally have to settle for whatever call they get whether they agree with it or not.

7,000th post in the Robby forum!!! :rocker2::cheerleader: Thanks, Mae, for helping keeping the forum alive :hug:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
apparently so... :help: but at least at the A.O. some courts had hawkeye. Yes, the lower ranked players generally have to settle for whatever call they get whether they agree with it or not.

7,000th post in the Robby forum!!! :rocker2::cheerleader: Thanks, Mae, for helping keeping the forum alive :hug:
Your welcome :) :hug:

:yippee: :bounce: :banana: :rocker: :rocker2: :music: :dance: :woohoo:

IMHO hawkeye should not be used at all unless it is available on all courts! But no one cares what I think :sad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I know how you feel :lol: In a sport where a single point can make the difference between a loss or a win, line calls can be very important. I wish hawkeye was easy to place on every court, that way they could put them on all of them. Sometimes I wish I had it when I'm playing tennis, and I can't tell where the ball landed :lol:

I'm curious what Robby's draw in the Dallas challenger is going to look like. Some good players sprinkled are in there.

21 - 40 of 172 Posts