Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
INDIAN WELLS - MIAMI

The two tournaments where Novak shines brighter than everywhere else :) After getting rid of his demon at Roland Garros, our Nole has not been his best only winning 2 titles up to this point. Novak set a record last year by becoming the only person who clinched the IW-Miami double four times, three times in a row. Can he make it five this year?

Indian Wells
2016 Final: Win vs. Milos Raonic 6–2, 6–0

Miami
2016 Finak: Win vs. Kei Nishikori 6–3, 6–3

Please post all interview, comments, photos, and other related items here! Hoping for another succesful North American spring for our Serbian gladiator!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IW 2017 Novak's Quarter: The Ultimate Test

[5] Nadal, Rafael
Bye
Garcia-Lopez, Guillermo
Pella, Guido
Herbert, Pierre-Hugues
Bellucci, Thomaz
Bye
[26] Verdasco, Fernando

[24] Johnson, Steve
Bye
Anderson, Kevin
Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Robert, Stephane
Sela, Dudi
Bye
[9] Federer, Roger

[15] Kyrgios, Nick
Bye
Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Zeballos, Horacio
Qualifier/Lucky Loser
Bagnis, Facundo
Bye
[18] Zverev, Alexander

[31] del Potro, Juan Martin
Bye
Delbonis, Federico
Kuznetsov, Andrey
Edmund, Kyle
Elias, Gastao
Bye
[2] Djokovic, Novak

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically four active GS champion, 2 defending GS champion in one quarter.
Not to mention Kyrgios and Zverev are also present.
And my fave underdog Kuznetsov, Bagnis and Elias are somehow stuck in Novak's quarter as well.

MESS :lol: You better do your best Novak!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Novak will/should be serious and ready this time against Kyrgios, I hope. I mean, I won't have any more words if he doesn't and loses in straights though :lol: The draw is so hilarious, it's the worst possible. I will be furious if this is his Wimbledon draw, but this is just IW - his backyard, so he should be the most comfortable here. Be ready, go out there, kick some asses and make a statement, Novak. This should really be where he starts his comeback.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
All we know he could be crashing out against Edmund in straight sets and could be saying I need to spend more time with family..??

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All we know he could be crashing out against Edmund in straight sets and could be saying I need to spend more time with family..??
He proved you wrong for now :p
6-4, 7-6(4) against the young Brit. Didnt watch the match (IW and Miami suck hard time difference wise) but at least he made it in 2 sets. If anyone has his post match interview, kindly post it here?

Next is Del Po right? :tears: Boy, it's barely Monday and he gets one of the biggest darkhorse already :lol:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Fabulous thread! Lovely pictures! :inlove:

Thank you very much, guys! :worship:

I think Novak playing doubles is a great idea: he's obviously loving it, he's winning again, having fun again.

Novak made too many errors against Edmund, but I think he's getting better. I can see that he's hungry again. So it's all good. The match tonight will be a really tough test. I had never seen such a lopsided draw as this. :(

Murray losing and squandering the easiest draw ever was hilarious. I wonder who will inherit that cupcake now. :lol:

I am hoping that Novak can beat Delpo again.

One match at a time.

AJDE!!

:cheerleader:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I loved the Delpo match! :inlove:

We saw so much of the old Novak: the hunger, the defiance, the fist-pumps, the passion, the elongated grunts. All that accompanied by some of his best shots. He still lost focus at some points, but it was a joy to see.

I am hopeful for this afternoon. Novak will know what to expect, Nick will be carrying the burden of expectation. Advantage Novak.

Can't wait.

:cheerleader:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:tears: Twice beaten in a row by the same player.
Novak was completely useless against tall servebot :lol:

I've always hated Kyrgios, but I wouldnt hold any grudge for this match: Novak was just outserved.

Move on to Miami! I'm sorry guys, but no Sunshine Double victory this year. Let's just hope Miami will be just better
@Yolita I just saw it on Miami Open's instagram. You actually did it, hahaha

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Watched most of the match. Nole started terribly, losing his serve in the first game with some terribly dumb errors, looked mentally absent right from the start. Then had no clue at all how to return Nick's serves, who again had an incredible serving performance, with 120+ MPH second serves and barely double faulting. Nole had a few 15-30 opportunities during the match but DAMN such poor shot selection at times, for example when Nick served for the first set at 15-30 Nole was dominating the exchange, got to the net and hit the volley straight back to Nick who made the passing shot. Nole also lost many long rallies with dumb errors, even though he did play better in the second set, it was like anytime he got Nick's serves back he was so excited and nervous that he didn't know what to do with the ball...

All in all the conditions did seem to favour Nick, as was the schedule which didn't help Nole, but he'll really have to focus on how to return Nick's serves better and how to outplay him from the back of the court, which he wasn't able to do. Nole has got all the tools, he's definitely able to dominate the rallies when he's into it, the hunger seems to be back, but the body language and the focus FROM THE FIRST POINT need to be better in my opinion!! GO NOLE :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts