Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
mdhubert said:
Yes you must be at least 35 (Agassi could play !), and ex number 1, or DC winner, or GS winner

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
BlackSilver said:
How can height help to create angles, or help in anything else in tennis besides serve and smash? I can't see the connection
well the taller you are, the more of the ball you see, your coming over the ball instead of under, and you see much more of the court with height. especialy angles inside the service box.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
NYCtennisfan said:
The shotmaking from both sides was breathtaking and what was so incredible about it was that he was only 5'9" which means that normally it would be very difficult to create the types of angles he did create over and over again.

Rios is just short of 30 right now so he would have 5 years to go before he could join the senior circuit.
He was the pioneer in that regard IMO. If he can get anywhere near his form it would be interesting to see an exhibition where he plays Federer.

And the American Tennis establishment as a whole did not like him. Cliff Drysdale isn't the only one.

B

·
0 Posts
I was lucky enough to be at centrecourt in 1998 AO SF when he completely destroyed nic escude, some of the shotmaking from rios that day was incredible

he really should have won that year :(

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
hitchhiker said:
this comeback will make borgs mid 1990s comeback look succesful
hard to do better than the wooden racquet come back of Borg, that was a must...

·
Registered
985 Posts
yeh lets rios- cmooooooooooooooooon

·
F***ing have it
17,602 Posts
:scared: somebody needs money :sad:

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
alfonsojose said:
:scared: somebody needs money :sad:
erm, no - as usual, it's an escape from his marital problems. The injury with his back remians - he would need another operation to be fully fit, and he says he's not risking it again, though knowing Marcelo, he changes his mind like the wind. He only decided he wanted to make a sort of comeback last weekend, after a bust up with his wife. All that is pencilled in is an exhibition with Becker in Novemeber, with possibly a few more (these were planned back in April), and he 'may' consider the seniors tour, but he'd never be able to play to his full capacity. According to the proud father, his daughter Constanza is a real talent and is the champion they've been waiting for:)

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
back on court yesterday -

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
and much as I like Verdasco - please, you can't compare Verdasco to Rios! (see tagline), and please, don't mention Rios and Nadal in the same sentence.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts

Reactions: Nathaliia

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I'll be stunned if he even stick to exhibitions and the seniors tour - stickability is a problem with Marcelo - no surprise he was diagnosed with attention deficit as a child -
I'd love to see him come back, but his body won't hold up, and I'm sure he'll move on either to other interests on another wife:)

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
Machine translated from La Tercera -

The trainer and Marcelo's return Ríos to the courts
Horacio of the Rock: It was not noticed that it was so much time without playing"
The left-handed one trained for near one hour and 45 minutes in the Israeli Stadium, as sparring of Paul Capdeville.

It dates edition: 28-09-2005

When they lacked ten minutes for three in the afternoon he/she lost temper the tranquility of the Israeli Stadium. With a black handbag, yellow polera and black short, Marcelo Ríos made his appearance for the enclosure of Avenue The Counts. "Where is Horacio? ", did "Chinese" ask to alive voice who quickly answer found in a couple of fans that you/they were practicing in the place. And to weary step, without lifting the view a lot, he/she went to the place that the technical transandino took willing so that it trained next to Paul Capdeville, number three of Chile and one of its current pupils.

Clever to begin the training, the first thing that made went to rebuke a journalist that was inside the court next to their cameraman. He/she forced him to leave the place and once it fulfilled their objective a peloteo it began with Capdeville, demonstrating that the talent doesn't forget, no matter how much it has already been turned more than one year since it played its last party in the circuit. And that that had to toss hand to their partner's of training racket, considering that he/she didn't walk with I implement own.

It was one hour and 40 minutes during those which the former number one of the world showed their good hand. It was not demanded a lot, but he had enough to put on approval to their partner. It was noticed happy, very lively with this return that has as objective to get a setting to point for a series of exhibitions that will dispute in November and also to see if it can be integrated to the circuit senior and to look for some option of integrating the team of Glass Davis the 2006. Physically it is well, in an aspect that has worried about maintaining together with their physical coach Carlos Cardemil. The problem was the bladders in the hands, own for somebody he/she makes a lot it didn't seize a racket.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
and it's always heartening to read posts recognising his talent.

·
Registered
505 Posts
*Viva Chile* said:
He only wants to play in the Delta Tour of Champions next year. Not to play professionally on the ATP Tour again. He said that he is on conversations for the organizers of the Delta Tour because he's is only 29 year old and the Seniors tour is for players of 35 or more. Also, he wants to help in the chilean Davis Cup team, as a coach (not as a captain for now) or as a technical assistant.
Could someone explain exactly the "Delta Tour of Champions" vs the "Senior Tour". Are they 2 unrelated entities? What are the eligibilities of each one? :confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wanted to ask the same question. Height is nothing to do of creating angles.
It's matter of your skill. Height is only help you to cover well on the net and to serve.

Look at Coria, Gaudio and even Rochus before Chang, they aren't tall but they play really well.

BlackSilver said:
How can height help to create angles, or help in anything else in tennis besides serve and smash? I can't see the connection

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Jenrios said:
The best tennis shot ever!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Reactions: Jenrios

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thank you for the pic.. it's good to see him again :eek:
:eek: i miss him :sad:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts