Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I hope he does.
Back in the late 90s I didn't follow tennis as much as I do now so I never actually saw Rios play. I know he's a lefty but what's his game like? Is it like Nadal's or Verdasco's? Is he a defensive or offensive player?

As long as he's determined, his age shouldn't be a major problem. Agassi made his comeback in 1999 at the age of 29 and won slams well into his 30s. If Rios wants to make up for many lost years, he needs to work very hard and keep to a strict regime like Andre has done.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
This is interesting but if anyone thinks that they will see the Rios of 1998 for an entire match or two, they will be dissapointed. What an amazing talent. Mecir and Rios--by far the two most gifted players never to win a slam.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
I am sceptical about Rios playing on the main tour, but why not the seniors tour or Davis Cup. Say what you want about Rios, he paved the way for Gonzalez and Massu and is a huge part of Chilean tennis.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
hum it could be really interesting his comeback malbe in Senior tour
How old is he now?

·
Banned
14,727 Posts
If memory serves me correctly wasn't Cliff Drysdale the leading Rios hater? what the hell was up with that?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Someone asked if he played like Nadal or Verdasco, he was a BETTER shot maker then both of them. He was one of the most talented players of all time. He's like Federer but not with the mental game and not as big, but when the guy was in his prime, he was unbelievable. He's one of those players with a questino mark by his name, a lot of what if's with him!

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
The shotmaking from both sides was breathtaking and what was so incredible about it was that he was only 5'9" which means that normally it would be very difficult to create the types of angles he did create over and over again.

Rios is just short of 30 right now so he would have 5 years to go before he could join the senior circuit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
NYCtennisfan said:
and what was so incredible about it was that he was only 5'9" which means that normally it would be very difficult to create the types of angles he did create over and over again.
How can height help to create angles, or help in anything else in tennis besides serve and smash? I can't see the connection

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
He only wants to play in the Delta Tour of Champions next year. Not to play professionally on the ATP Tour again. He said that he is on conversations for the organizers of the Delta Tour because he's is only 29 year old and the Seniors tour is for players of 35 or more. Also, he wants to help in the chilean Davis Cup team, as a coach (not as a captain for now) or as a technical assistant.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's like he never really officially retired, maybe because he was young.
I think this is interesting because now that personalities are out and about with a mix out there in tennis, he could work well with his attitude, that is if he hasn't changed. There are now annoying people out there and his is not as annoying but more pissy/whiny. His game is great though, one of the recent artists, so this would be a good move.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I heard he was going to start on the Senior circuit - he has a match against Becker in November, - and then just see how it goes after that as regards making a return to the normal circuit.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Rosie said:
I heard he was going to start on the Senior circuit - he has a match against Becker in November, - and then just see how it goes after that as regards making a return to the normal circuit.
He will going to play 3 exhibition matches in November (against Becker, McEnroe and Müster), not in Senior circuit yet.

Reactions: jole

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just missed Rios as I started following tennis in late 1999 so I missed his peak. I haven't had the chance to see him play much at all at his best, but I've heard he was an amazing shotmaker to rival even Federer.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
*Viva Chile* said:
He only wants to play in the Delta Tour of Champions next year. Not to play professionally on the ATP Tour again. He said that he is on conversations for the organizers of the Delta Tour because he's is only 29 year old and the Seniors tour is for players of 35 or more. Also, he wants to help in the chilean Davis Cup team, as a coach (not as a captain for now) or as a technical assistant.

I always thought you had to be 35 or over to play on the Seniors Tour. :confused:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Rosie said:
I always thought you had to be 35 or over to play on the Seniors Tour. :confused:
Yes you must be at least 35 (Agassi could play !), and ex number 1, or DC winner, or GS winner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts