Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vomit inducing result and vomit inducing choking by Alcaraz, who is positive and maintains a clear head on bis shoulders but couldn't help himself with some of those errant and blatant misses after good build-up.

0/5 BP's across 3 games first set, 5-0 to 5-4 second set then got it with some help, cruised on serve third set but lost his game from 40-0 up with blatantly early unforced errors: DF, first strike UE into net, second strike UE wild out of air, 40-40.

Stayed up to see this anticlimatic shit.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Understandable drop-off by Alcaraz, he needs much more experience in challengers before he can be counted on to win matches like this. Unlike the last one where nobody expected anything, he had much more pressure in this match and it showed in the crucial points. This was a chance of a lifetime for Coria, while the kid will have many more chances to shine in the future. It may actually do him some good, as Zverev didn’t manage to match his miracle breakthrough for almost 2 years and struggled being on tour before he was ready. His weak points were exploited well in this match, the serve, return and finishing shot from the baseline still need lots of work. Alcaraz should go one step at a time, maybe win some Challengers and get himself into the top 100 this year.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
turning point was when Alcaraz was distracted by a butterfly on his serve, and the veteran Coria seized to take advantage of the lack of concentration. A ton of missed opportunities, but he did that against Ramos as well and didn't pay the price. He definitely needs some grooming, but i am sure we will see him as a mainstay on the tour when the time comes.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This was my first time watching him play properly (apart from highlights).

Kind of what I expected. Obviously he's very talented, and already extremely athletic, but he's 16 and unsurprisingly plays like he's that age. A lot of poor shot selection, wild errors, poor BP conversion, things that will improve with time.

He actually reminds me a lot of FAA.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Expected, but the kid has tons of potential, but he needs to work on many things before he can become a stable top player. A very positive week nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, it was such a typical collapse by a young player that it was certainly kind of anticlimactic. But then, I'm happy for El Mago's little brother. I thought he was an eternally futures-level player.

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turning point was when Alcaraz was distracted by a butterfly on his serve, and the veteran Coria seized to take advantage of the lack of concentration.
I never understand the motive behind bs like this.

Surely you saw Alcaraz lose it and make 3 straight UE's BEFORE the butterfly appeared?

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Coria is a very pleasing player to watch

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Guys...if you have time to read

So, Alcaraz is good...maybe he will reach top 10 in the future...but his win over Ramos is not thaT impressed.
There were too many long deuce games and uncontrollable factors in the Ramos match for a fix, and by watching the whole match there was nothing suspicious at all. An average 16 y.o. player would collapse after 3 hours of such tennis, nobody in their right mind would fix a match to go like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts