Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 21 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a night session at Rio, the two matches lasted more than 7 hours combined:D Two of the longest BO3 matches ever B2B. Rollercoaster drama and fight all around. Alcaraz has pulled off what certainly is one of the most impressive ATP debuts ever, a 3.5 hour win over a consistent top 50 player.

This kid is special, no obvious weaknesses in his game and controlled power off both wings combined with great movement, even nice touch and some good dropshots. He showed no nerves heading into his first ATP MD match, matched ARV toe to toe in baseline rallies and went for his shots. He had a dip after wasting triple BP to serve for the match in the second set, but recovered magnificently to reel off 5 straight games from 0-3 0-40 down in the decider. Even when more chances slipped by, he held his nerve and outplayed ARV in the TB. Very much a deserved top 50 win for the 16-year-old Spaniard, he will have a winnable second round match with Coria next, let’s see if he can recover from this marathon. His body looks well-built for clay court tennis though, incredible physique for a 16-year-old. I just hope he’s ready for the media hype, it will increase by tenfold following results on tour and he’ll soon be pressured with titles like “the new Rafa”, “next king of clay”. I‘m intrigued to see how he develops his game in the next few years.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
He will win RG in the future, Im 100% sure.
What a talent.
Sinner,Alcaraz and Rune are the future of tennis.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very impressive for a 16-year old to beat the 41st ranked player in the world, but not as impressive as 16-year old Nadal when he defeated #7 ranked Albert Costa in the 2nd round of the 2003 Monte Carlo Masters 1000.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Very impressive for a 16-year old to beat the 41st ranked player in the world, but not as impressive as 16-year old Nadal when he defeated #7 ranked Albert Costa in the 2nd round of the 2003 Monte Carlo Masters 1000.
Nadal is one of a kind. The GOAT.
But this kid will be a huge star.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
What have I woken up to?!
After wasting 2mps at 5-4* and then losing his serve to love I was sure he will end at 5-7. But he didn't give up, held his serve quite comfortably at 5-6 and then controlled tb.
He beat very experienced clay courter, twice his age. What a kid!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess, Alcaraz could have his chance though as he won’t turn 17 until May;) Nadal also had more experience by then, he was already knocking the door on top 100.

Reactions: David T Hume

·
Registered
235 Posts
He will probably get wildcards for Barcelona and Madrid Masters in a few months so there's a chance he could beat a top10 player, he's got the game for sure.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
3 clay masters and RG still ahead of us ? of course he will be older than Nadal was in Monte Carlo by few weeks but still 16

·
justice for all
15,193 Posts
16 years, incredible stamina, from Spain, on clay, outlasting a shotmaker - reminds me of something, it doesn’t look good at all if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever. But at least has/had a great FH.
Alcaraz was much more of a shotmaker today, ARV definitely was too passive at times and allowed Alcaraz to boss the rallies.

·
justice for all
15,193 Posts
Alcaraz was much more of a shotmaker today, ARV definitely was too passive at times and allowed Alcaraz to boss the rallies.
If he’s a shotmaker then OK - maybe I’ll become his fan. Haven’t seen him play yet - can you describe his style, please? Definitely will watch in the months to come.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
So much stamina for a junior. What are they feeding these kids in Spain?
Well John van Lottum and two other unnamed players once walked in on a Roland Garros juniors' champion (Carlos Cuadrado) receiving a syringe in his butt from coach Pato Alvarez (Murray's coach between 2003 and 2005)

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If he’s a shotmaker then OK - maybe I’ll become his fan. Haven’t seen him play yet - can you describe his style, please? Definitely will watch in the months to come.
Not too easy to describe, the serve is relatively poor but he’s really solid off both wings, hits with plenty of topspin but doesn’t hesitate to go for winners, hit 54 this match and only 2 were ACEs. He hit lots of spectacular FH and BH winners, especially in set 1 when he was freshest, and he was pretty reliable finishing off points when he gets the half-court chance. He also loves using the drop shot, it won him a lot of points but almost cost him the match with a bad one holding BP at 5-5 in the decider. His main problem this match was the shot to turn defense into attack, he would often miss that one by some margin and he hit some wild shots to go down 0-3 0-40 in the decider. His stamina is really impressive though, so many young players cramp in long matches but he didn’t look fazed by the end of this 3.5 hour match, and he still managed a tough defensive lob in one of the last games. I’ll leave it here, you can see for yourself ?

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Ramos-Vinolas man..... suckin some dick out there losing to a 16 year old hahaha. Nonetheless, can’t imagine what it feels for the kid to beat a top 50 player. I’m sure he’s psyched as fuck. Didn’t see the match but hopefully he’s a talented shot maker and not a clay court pusher.

1 - 21 of 40 Posts