Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIO Final : Djere def. (WC) Auger Aliassime 6-3. 7-5

Well deserved win for the Serbian in a mediocre match tbh, anxiety for both finalists, maiden ATP title in 500 for the Serb.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Well deserved by Laslo Djere, if there is any player who deserves it it's him. He was an huge prospect as a junior winning the orange bowl and I always wondered why he didn't really make the transition to the ATP tour, but I learned that his personal life wasn't easy at all with both of his parents dying because of this awful disease called cancer. With a younger sister who he has to take care off and becoming an orphan also I feel sad for him. I can't imagine the weight he has to carry on his young shoulders. I also can imagine tennis wasn't his primary focus for a couple of years but in Rio at 23 years of age he seems to make the turn arround. His groundstrokes are big and gravel seems to suit him well, he also plays smart and seems in control of the rallies. Winning your first final on ATP level and it's a 500 pointer too is making a very nice story. I can see him becoming a force to be reckoned with especially on clay.

Felix also had an incredible run, not too shabby playing in your first ATP500 final as an 18 year old. His serve is an area he needs to improve and he has to become more consistent and controlled which is easier said then done but play the extra point if you need and try not to kill it too early when the chance for an UE is way too high..if he can fix that he can become scary good I reckon.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Re: RIO Final : Djere def. (WC) Auger Aliassime 6-3. 7-5

Djere looks good.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Deserved win, Djere looked like a veteran in comparison to FAA, whose form went AWOL in the final.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,608 Posts

Felix just too loose in some moments, Djere nearly let him get away with the final game.
Into top 40.

Felix will be good in time but not enough today

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Disappointing match. Certainly the better player on the day won, but the level wasn't high at all from either player as Felix didn't handle the pressure of his first ATP final well at all (10 DFs, unforced errors all over the court) and Laslo wasn't much better in that regard.

Felix will be back in the future at finals of this magnitude, but he's got a lot to work on still (his serve, his tactics, and not the least of which his mentality). It's going to take some time for him.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Well deserved win for the Serbian in a mediocre match tbh, anxiety for both finalists, maiden ATP title in 500 for the Serb.
I don't get why mods made this sour thread main one. Really bad decision. :|

·
Registered
6,465 Posts

Time stamp, I reckon...

edit. Wouldn't say sour though, just blunt/short to the point

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes, one had to root for Djere today. The talent is obvious. My goodness he has a bullet of a backhand. I truly hope this will send him on his way into the top echelons of tennis. He would be a true force on the tour. I really like his calmness out on the court. He carries himself with a lot of dignity. To lose your parents like that. Well, I understand. I've been there.

But, a great week for Felix! My goodness he showed us just what he's capable of. I firmly believe his results in the recent Davis Cup matches in Slovakia helped his confidence. He's a terrific young man and a true champion in the making.

I hope there are many more finals for both of these worthy champions.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,608 Posts
You always find stupid things to say out of nothing.

First he's entitled to his opinion about perceived match quality and second, thread merges always present in chronological order.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Not the best quality match , but that BH DTL when on is thing of beauty:hearts:

Congrats to Felix too, no doubt he will have moments like Djere's a lot :smile2:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Excellent display of Djere tonight, keeping his emotions in check even when he had to endure some physical problem.
Hope his injury doesn't develop, he should skip the next tournament regardless.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts