Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Coric did well to save triple BP at 5-5 and stay calm after going from 4-0 to 4-4 in the TB, really close match. He needs the points and the confidence, it would be encouraging if he can make the final here. Seyboth Wild can surely go for top 100 this year, he‘s playing some nice tennis, especially those FH winners which were quite explosive.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It was wonderful stuff seeing as how awful the crowd was to Coric. Also, Coric looks like he lost weight, I don't remember him being this skinny when I saw him last.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
First B2B wins for Coric since last September in St. Petersburg. Didn't watch his previous Rio chokefest match but this was a much better performance than last week's loss. Seyboth Wild was quite impressive after a shaky first set, another youngster to watch for the future.

·
Registered
17,831 Posts
Gutsy stuff from Borna.

From what i saw, involved but not disrespectful crowd.

Most importantly, not breaking rhythm on someone's serve.

·
9,653 Posts
Nice win great serving. Forehand returns as bad as anyone i watched though

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
There was applause after Coric won points, which is more than I can say for other crowd situations. Obviously a pro-Brazilian crowd but not rude.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Great week already, hope this gives him confidence for the rest of the season :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
First B2B wins for Coric since last September in St. Petersburg. Didn't watch his previous Rio chokefest match but this was a much better performance than last week's loss. Seyboth Wild was quite impressive after a shaky first set, another youngster to watch for the future.
Seyboth Wild is worth keeping an eye on, not just bc of the GOAT name.. he played very well and was the more aggressive player by far, from what i saw

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Seyboth Wild is worth keeping an eye on, not just bc of the GOAT name.. he played very well and was the more aggressive player by far, from what i saw
For me, Coric played best in the first set and was more attacking early on. Seyboth Wild raised his level in the second set, however, and was probably the better player from then on... But it's in situations like this where experience and grit come to matter most as Coric was able to weather the Wild storm in the end.

Given the confidence crisis he's been battling through, I feel this was an encouraging result. Coric was improved in all departments compared to previous months: greater shot depth, fewer UEs, better point construction, aggressive returning, solid defence, decent serving (not as good as he's capable of though), mixing up play and, crucially, mental strength.

Seyboth Wild can also take positives from this match. Once he settled in, his easy power and fluid strokes did a lot of damage to a seasoned pro. Buoyed by the crowd support, he didn't show too many signs of nerves until the TB. Will be interested to see how he progresses from here.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Enjoyed that. Davis cup atmosphere and Seyboth Wild is one to watch, very nice forehand. I see he won US open juinors so seems he has promising game for a couple of surfaces.

As has been said Coric stayed calm at those key moments late in third and TB and got over the line.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Well most Mtf crew didn't watch but Im sure some would be screaming Vomiting Inducing result hahaha. I watched the last few games including game changer situations. And agreeing with Mtf it was Coric calmness that allowed him a couple of great clutch plays and shots and WILD FH for good or for bad what kept it so close and entertaing

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Was he ever in the lead?
Assuming this is a rhetorical question but I'll answer it anyway: No, Seyboth Wild never officially led at any point in this match. Not only did he serve second in both the opening and closing sets, he also played a very poor TB, going down 0-4 before evening it up but never managing to get ahead.

Even so, I sort of get where the poster you quoted is coming from. The young Brazilian was arguably the better player in the last two sets and definitely superior on serve, not facing a single BP. Coric OTOH was often under pressure and seemed on the verge of losing at 5-5 0:40 in the decider.

The WC appeared to have all the momentum on his side going into the TB, so it was rather surprising to see how it played out in the end i.e. losing the match with an UE after he'd barely been missing any groundstrokes up to then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts