Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thiem tweaked his knee slightly at the start of the second set, took an MTO and was a bit out of sorts. The young wildcard did well to make use of it with decent tennis, some quality shots with the passing winner off a smash being the best. Ran out of gas afterwards though as Thiem recovered and cut the errors down, leading to a quick NID decider.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I really expected this to be an easy one for Domi, but things don't always go the way you're hoping for and expecting.

These knee issues are the last thing Domi needs now that everything was going so well for him and the European clay season is also fast approaching.

Hoping for a miracle recovery, or at least a quick one.
He simply deserves one now on clay after doing so amazingly well on hc (if that makes any sense to anyone else than me).

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
The result here is irrelevant. The key thing is if Dominic’s knee issue is serious or not. Would be so unfortunate to get a severe injury just ahead of the most important clay season of his life. Please no...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It didn't look too good, as - especially in 2nd set - he was bending his knees trying how much they can support, his face was frowning and he was moving much worse. He finished the match and was playing solid in 3rd, so maybe it was not that bad after all, but maybe it was just pure adrenaline. I think he should do some MRI quickly and if even minor thing is wrong - skip Rio and focus on more important things.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hopefully the injury is not too serious,. I guess we don't have to worry to much otherwise he would have retired during the match.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
ugh, please no injury ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Shouldn't be too serious, he just hit his knee on a door (however that happens), and that can hurt like hell for a few days. So nothing to worry about, ligaments and cartilages should be okay, he probably just has a hematoma

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
Shouldn't be too serious, he just hit his knee on a door (however that happens), and that can hurt like hell for a few days. So nothing to worry about, ligaments and cartilages should be okay, he probably just has a hematoma
Oh, thanks for this info, that's comforting. Any idea if he plays tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Oh, thanks for this info, that's comforting. Any idea if he plays tomorrow?
I have just read an interview in die Kröne paper, and he said he was going to train on Wednesday, nothing to be said about his scheduled match on Thursday but there is no reason he would not play as it was more a "scare" than anything else. I am quite relieved about it and with the kind of piece of cake of draw he has, I hope he can still win this tournament, so he would be number 3 in the World for the first time.
He also said that for his match on clay after a long period, it was far from perfect, but match after match, he should feel better.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. Looked more like an acute discomfort to me than some serious pain. These things normally don't bother you for too long but can hurt nonetheless (everybody who ever managed to him oneself with his own racquet knows what I'm talking about :lol:).

Reactions: DieGOAT

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. Looked more like an acute discomfort to me than some serious pain. These things normally don't bother you for too long but can hurt nonetheless (everybody who ever managed to him oneself with his own racquet knows what I'm talking about :lol:).
Very true. I hit my right shin when trying a tweener back in summer, and the pain was so bad I had to sit down for a moment because I might have fainted otherwise. I finished the session without any problems, but afterwards grew a bump so big it looked like I had a second knee on my right leg ?

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
Very true. I hit my right shin when trying a tweener back in summer, and the pain was so bad I had to sit down for a moment because I might have fainted otherwise. I finished the session without any problems, but afterwards grew a bump so big it looked like I had a second knee on my right leg ?
That's why I never try tweeners. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts