Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from a romanian newspaper:

Romanian bookmakers SuperBet found a tentative of fraude, after several betting tickets with the same matches were laid simoultaneosly at SuperBet agencies in Bucharest and Drobeta Turnu Severin (Romania).

The official SuperBet press release:
"Today, Advanced Betting System Inc. was the victim of a massive fraude tentative, by the fixing of some first round tennis matches from Rijeka Challenger. Here are the details:

9 first round matches were included on several tickets laid at the same time on SuperBet agencies in Bucharest and Drobeta Turnu Severin. The following matches were involved.

All the bets had a total amount of 1000 EURO, with a total winning sum of 147.000 EURO. All the tickets involved were canceled.

SuperBet has already informed the national tennis federations and ITF about this fraude."

As expected, the ticket would have been a winning one!
Guez - Brzezicki 6-1 6-1
Volandri - Dutra da Silva 6-4 6-2 (match from Prostejov Ch.)
Brose Bamberg - Artland 83-55 (German League Basketball)
A.Balazs - Julio Silva 6-1 6-2
Millot - Vagnozzi 2-6 4-6
Patience - Pedro Sousa 3-6 4-6
Prodon - Mesaros 4-6 6-2 5-6 ret. (Prodon retired when Mesaros was 2 pts away from winning!!!)
Devilder - Junqueira 1-6 2-6
Trujillo Soler - Gensse 6-3 6-3
Di Mauro - Zemlja 4-6 0-3 ret.
Another match involved, but not found on the ticket above is Zopp - Kellner 2 @ 1.98 (2-0 ret.)

Some interesting facts:
-- all the players selected won easily in 2 sets (not even a tiebreak!!!)
-- in the matches which were going bad, the player selected to win retired (Di Mauro, Prodon and Kellner)
-- in 6 / 10 matches there was a Frenchmen involved

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Re: Rijeka Challenger Fixing Scandal

SuperBet has already informed the national tennis federations and ITF about this fraude."

As expected, the ticket would have been a winning one!
Guez - Brzezicki 6-1 6-1
Volandri - Dutra da Silva 6-4 6-2 (match from Prostejov Ch.)
Brose Bamberg - Artland 83-55 (German League Basketball)
A.Balazs - Julio Silva 6-1 6-2
Millot - Vagnozzi 2-6 4-6
Patience - Pedro Sousa 3-6 4-6
Prodon - Mesaros 4-6 6-2 5-6 ret. (Prodon retired when Mesaros was 2 pts away from winning!!!)
Devilder - Junqueira 1-6 2-6
Trujillo Soler - Gensse 6-3 6-3
Di Mauro - Zemlja 4-6 0-3 ret.
Another match involved, but not found on the ticket above is Zopp - Kellner 2 @ 1.98 (2-0 ret.)

Some interesting facts:
-- all the players selected won easily in 2 sets (not even a tiebreak!!!)
-- in the matches which were going bad, the player selected to win retired (Di Mauro, Prodon and Kellner)
-- in 6 / 10 matches there was a Frenchmen involved

:lol: You got to wonder if the people behind the fixing are retarded. So dead obvious fixing in this case. Especially with the retirement when it's going badly and only a few minutes left anyway.

Also makes you wonder how much fixing that really goes on. Only the most retarded idiots (like in this case) get discovered. Makes you think if the entire Challenger tour is full of fixers and maybe even some winners on the challenger tour are doing progress in many tournaments because of fixing. That means lower quality even higher up in the rankings.

They should probably consider A) removing betting on challengers or B) increase the control and/or C) maybe even "bait" players with fake fixing and if they agree and do lose/retire without being injured then ban for life

·
Registered
20,731 Posts

About the only way to fix for real money at the challenger level.

There are a lot of known dodgepots in that bunch.

Pretty freaking dim way to go about it.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

[/B]

:lol: You got to wonder if the people behind the fixing are retarded. So dead obvious fixing in this case. Especially with the retirement when it's going badly and only a few minutes left anyway.

Also makes you wonder how much fixing that really goes on. Only the most retarded idiots (like in this case) get discovered. Makes you think if the entire Challenger tour is full of fixers and maybe even some winners on the challenger tour are doing progress in many tournaments because of fixing. That means lower quality even higher up in the rankings.

They should probably consider A) removing betting on challengers or B) increase the control and/or C) maybe even "bait" players with fake fixing and if they agree and do lose/retire without being injured then ban for life
There you go. Gotta make some sacrifices in the end.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

[/B]

no use. the money chain is too long. they scapegoat the occasional player, but rest assured that everyone has a piece of the action there... when it is discovered, naturally a few koellerers are picked out and then back to business

·
Banned
6,118 Posts

Could these players be banned?

·
28,757 Posts

This doesn't look good, the thing is there is no proof that all of them are involved, or really any of them, but extremely suspsious.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.

I think they need the deal to capitalize in order for everybody to get their share in the end.
I´m not sure either, but I´d imagine the players want the money before they tank it. WHatever happens after that, is the risk the gamblers need to take. At least I wouldn´t tank a match only to be told " sorry mate, I couldn´t get the bet in, so no money for you, despite the risk you took". Not that I would tank under any circumstances, obviously...;)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

This doesn't look good, the thing is there is no proof that all of them are involved, or really any of them, but extremely suspsious.
The problem is that it´s not a single match, or two. So many suspicious matches means that the money the players received must be a lot, much more than they would have made even if they reached the final roudns of the tournament. If that kind of money is going around the challenger circuit, its only logical that the temptation will be too much for a lot of players. The situation is getting worse and worse, the ATP need to react, and do it quickly, or the challenger-circuit will have no credibility left soon. Banning Däni is not enough.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Which other bookmakers accept bets winning EUR 150,000 on challengers? That seems like asking for trouble. I don't think even the biggest British bookies would accept such a bet even on ATP on Grand Slam matches. Edit: There were multiple tickets, but still a bit strange they didn't notice. It does strongly imply match fixing though.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts

A French poster wrote in the challenger forum Millot was being investigated in France for alleged fixing his match progress against Maxime Teixeira at RG.

I doubt being involved in Rijeka stuff would help.

·
Registered
34,674 Posts

A French poster wrote in the challenger forum Millot was being investigated in France for alleged fixing his match progress against Maxime Teixeira at RG.

I doubt being involved in Rijeka stuff would help.
I dont think the guy would be so retarded to fix one of the biggest matches of his life. That would be just insane

·
Registered
34,674 Posts

Which other bookmakers accept bets winning EUR 150,000 on challengers? That seems like asking for trouble. I don't think even the biggest British bookies would accept such a bet even on ATP on Grand Slam matches. Edit: There were multiple tickets, but still a bit strange they didn't notice. It does strongly imply match fixing though.
only street and local bookies.

Online bookies have very low limits for CHs, usually around 500-1000 euro as top. If you parlay you can get a bit more.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

That tournament should be cancelled. The fixing there looks blatant.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts

Story of Eastern European Challengers and Futures, seen this happening a lot in Romania/Hungary/Russia/Ukraine/etc :eek:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts