Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rafa storms into his 13th Roland Garros final without dropping a set! Diego tried in the first set and it promised to be a long and grueling match but once Rafa has won the first set he found his groove and Diego looked deflated in the second and the bigger part of the third set. Rafa tightened for some reason when he was a break up and had a chance to serve it out. He made a lot of easy errors to let Diego back in the match and was pushed to a TB which proved to be an anticlimactic affair.

Most awkward conditions at RG ever but Rafa still manages to make the final by dispatching his opponents in straight sets! Vamos!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The fact that Rafa won the 3rd set is so crucial.
I cant wait to see the comments of "Rafa played bad!" "The first real player that will challenge him will beat him!"
You cant beat Rafa on this court without serve.
2 and a half sets were amazing by Rafa, level little dropped until the TB.
Rafa, never lost RG final, Now give me Djokovic!

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Diego Schwartzman was absolutely toothless. Am I risking a ban by saying that about MTF's darling?

·
Registered
60,657 Posts
Embarrassing tiebreak. Schwartzman's backhand was MIA for 2 sets, and that's killer against Nadal.

Djokovic should be favored in the final if healthy. Nadal still hasn't played a decent opponent.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Dont forget the bagel in the tie break!!
Bye Diego good tournament but this is enough for you.
Cant wait for the final!
The faker MTO will be destroyed!!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
That was not Diego's day today, too passive, a lot of BH errors. And when he had a chance in the 3rd set, he played horrible TB.

Reactions: emotion

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Good match by Rafa. The clay goat prevails as usual.

@OP: Fix Diego’s surname.

Reactions: alwaysfan

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
The argentine weasel started to play at 150% out of nowhere in the middle of the 3rd set, and it took some time for Rafa to adjust.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
FH was good.Bh was garbage. Rafa's brainfarts was also bad.Diego played like a random mug.
Idk what to expect in the final.He may all of a sudden show some monster lvl,but 6 matches left and no confidence in Rafa,sadly. 🤔

Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Well, that got ugly fast. Nadal cruising midway through the third and then an avalanche of errors. Literally woke up just in time down 15-40. Can't say I'm too encouraged by that performance.

·
justice for all
17,597 Posts
Congrats to Rafa on reaching his 13th RG final. Was the better player today. Didn't play great all the time but upped his level when needed and eventually closed it out quite comfortably in 3 sets. Something tells me Rafa was maybe saving himself for the final which can be a great challenge.

Diego was a bit under par today but also he struggled a lot with Rafa's FH spin on his BH. Still put up a good fight - especially in the 3rd set. All in all was a great tournament for him - first slam SF is a helluva of an achievement.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Followed the start, which was intense, yet Diego losing that first 15 minute long game probably chipped a little off his belief. Then Rafa seemed in control for a long time, until I sat my ass back in front of the TV at 3-1 in the third, and a bunch of errors started creeping in. This gave Diego some confidence, he raised his level, and another long game with break chances for him went the wrong way at 5-5, not unlike at the start of the match.

Nadal better in the tie-break, aided by two errors from Schwartzmann in key moments.

Not quite the nail-biter I expected, but Rafa will be worried seeing a bit of a pattern, where he loses control of matches in the 3rd after dominant performances.

·
The special one
14,806 Posts
The first 2 sets were the best Nadal has played in 2020, his FH in beast mode, which on clay in these conditions is a death sentence for a player at 5 f 7 like Diego who has to exert so much energy on his BH. He did well to get back in the 3rd set but played an awful TB, summed up by that easy volley miss at 0-3.

Nadal on his 13th RG final, his FH was great but his BH and serve not so much so that will need to improve for whoever he faces.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
3 hours and ten minutes for what has been a very one-sided match. Nadal simply too solid from the start, but never played his best level. A comfortable win by the book!

Schwartzman can fight all he wants, if you don't have weapons or think about tactics you're going to be a bystander on Rafa's favourite court.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts