Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did realise how mediocre Giles was before today. I knew he was bad but boi, his only redeeming quality is a great return of serve, very much like Djokovic; bar this, his ground game is lacklustre and he's too often content to get the ball in and wait out the opponent's mistake (probably explains how he got to be 12th seed here), a daring proposition at that level of the game!
Wawrinka put in a few marquee shots here and there but really didn't have to exert himself too much. Giles handed down the game to him. I still don't think Wawrinka will have it that easy against federer next round seeing how unremarkable the competition has been so far.
Good luck!

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Roland Garros R4: [8] Wawrinka def. [12] Simon, 6-1 6-4 6-2

Stan through pretty comfortably. He did give all his fans ulcers by going 5/500 on BPs, though. (Well, like 5/23 or something.)

Really happy he got through today and didn't have to play part of his match tomorrow. He'll face Federer or Monfils in the QFs.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Re: RG R4: [8] Stan Wawrinka def. [12] Giles Simon 6-1 6-4 6-2

Stan will play Fed/Monfils with them having to play 3 days in a row. He should make the SFs.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Re: Roland Garros R4: [8] Wawrinka def. [12] Simon, 6-1 6-4 6-2

And that scoreline is very nice to Simon.

Very well played by Wawa, even though he wasted too many occasions to break his opponent. He is, in my opinion, the favourite to make the final (on that half of the draw).

·
Registered
7,042 Posts

Simon is such a Grand Slam mug. :facepalm:
Only one QF (AO 2009), due to Monfils' retirement in R16...

·
Registered
11,858 Posts

9th grand slam QF and 2nd at RG :yeah:

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
3,907 Posts

Brilliant performance.
His form is great.
It's only mental now versus Federer (probably)...
Hope it will be better than in Rome...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Nishikori-Stan SF? Nice match on clay especially after their USO battle.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Awesome job of maintaining composure by Stan. Things got a bit dicey in the 2nd set after Gilles broke back and they had a long game at 4-4, but Stan held his nerve to battle Simon and the disgusting UE-cheering crowd

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Brilliant performance.
His form is great.
It's only mental now versus Federer (probably)...
Hope it will be better than in Rome...
Well, he's had it easy so far against most opponents to be fair. They self-destructed! It could be him self-destructing next! So far he's flying under the radar (due to unoteworthy opponents and quite an easy draw), so not much pressure!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts

Lol at the comments about Simon. Wawrinka was pummeling everything today, Simon did well to retrieve so many balls. He is a small guy with way less power than Stan. Stan was very good today, I hope he beats Fed or Gael next

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

Awesome job of maintaining composure by Stan. Things got a bit dicey in the 2nd set after Gilles broke back and they had a long game at 4-4, but Stan held his nerve to battle Simon and the disgusting UE-cheering crowd
As a Stan fan (can't speak for the man himself, of course), I found the crowd hilarious. I mean, they were booing Stan once because Simon hit a dropshot into the net, lol. They booed Stan when he was announced, cheered his errors, and Stan just kinda rolled his eyes and won in straights. It was funny. :)

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
3,907 Posts

Wawrinka had at least the harder draw than Nishikori.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

Abysmal first set and a half, arguably the worst tennis I've ever seen at slams. They picked it up afterwards but not by much. Staniel's ROS, particularly on break points, was criminal. So was Simon's forehand.
Stan needs to clean up his game (and hair) if he wants to win more than five games against Roger.

·
Registered
940 Posts

Stan - the family man - can.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
+Joey Tribiani No Wawrinka is Feds lapdog. If Fed gets by Monfils. He is in the semi. Mark these words. Wawrinka will bend over for him like he did in Rome.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts