Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody saw what happend? I was so overwhelmed by Stan-Stef blockbuster so I had to go for a walk and shop a bit.

Can Kei win quickly tomorrow and regroup for the QF?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Kei should win this. He hs an uncanny ability to make at least the QF of every slam...it's amazing really.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Kei really should have ended this in straights. The 2nd set TB had leads but kept making casual rally errors trying to take control. Otherwise really could have finished it.

Match started slow for Kei down 0-2. Kei broke back immediately and nearly won 7 games straight.

Paire otherwise topsy turvy, DFs galore then started to hit better in the set. He also kept trying drop shots but unlike like year, Kei read a majority of them well.

Third was Paire off target and Kei hitting some strong returns. Kei did a decent job jamming Paire with the second serve, (which tends to get slaughtered, over 60% second serve pts won). Paire kept complaining the stringer couldn't give him new rackets after 35 minutes (apparently stringer was stuck in the bathroom). Hopefully Kei has a quick no nonsense finish.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Scandalous decision to end this before 21:30 as there was easily another 25-30 minutes of play, visibiity was very good today. And yes that is enough to potentially finish the match. Of course when it advantaged Monfils or Pouille, they let it run to almost 22:00 in much less favourable conditions.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
C'mon Key. Finish him

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Scandalous decision to end this before 21:30 as there was easily another 25-30 minutes of play, visibiity was very good today. And yes that is enough to potentially finish the match. Of course when it advantaged Monfils or Pouille, they let it run to almost 22:00 in much less favourable conditions.
Yes I thought it would be darker but i could see well. I suppose level footing start in a set is nice.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
FO organizers are true patriots. 0:)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Kei was thte far superior player on the day, 2nd set featured a muggy end to the TB, that being said Paire did serve for the set but broke Kei after saving a few BPs himself. Match would probably have ended soon after the 3rd, organizers were probably trying to do a solid for homeboy. Kei's level in general is picking up but he's not very good in tight spots.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah sunset is officially at 21:47 in Paris but sometimes they cut it short, because it was 22 when Tsitsipas-Krajinovic got stopped. Maybe Paire couldn't see and wanted it to stop

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Paire looked really bad today. Lots of DFs and not many converted break points. Lack of his usual touch shot wizardry. Kei didn't look the best, but he should be able to close out the match.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nishikori should have won in straight sets. As he is playing Nadal next, basically he will be playing 3 days straight. Not an ideal preparation to play the King Of Clay as you want to reserve as much energy as possible.
Set 1 & 3, he played very well....I thought in the TB, he would win it but he just made alot of UFE and sloppy esp the end, so that's basically the price he paid since he need to play an extra day
Anyways, Kei should wrap up tomorrow with 1 more set if he played like in Set 1 & 3. I only hope that he would finish him off like within 45 min
I doubt Nadal will be watching their match given their H2H history, so he must be confident.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts