Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kei!!! :worship: Excellent display of tennis. Kei hitting was amazing. Some returns were world class. The scoreline could have been better had Kei not missed those awful number of BPs.

Gabashvili too played some lovely points, especially while saving a few BPs but some of his errors and DFs were really really bad for this level.

With Tsonga playing excellent in the other match. we have a cracker of a QF!!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
French Open R4: (5) Nishikori def. Gabashvili 6-3 6-4 6-2

Easily Kei's best performance of the tournament. Brilliantly done.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
RG R4: [5] Nishikori def. Gabashvili, 6-3 6-4 6-2

Nishikori is the first man into the QFs, defeating Mathieu, Bellucci, and Gabashvili to get there (and benefiting from a walkover as well). Not murderer's row, but he'll be fresh for his QF against Tsonga or Berdych (probably Tsonga).

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Re: RG R4: [5] Nishikori def. Gabashvili, 6-3 6-4 6-2

Wow, Nishikori must be so tired from these tough opponents.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

A decent chance as any to reach another slam final

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts

Nishikori is the first man into the QFs, defeating Mathieu, Bellucci, and Gabashvili to get there (and benefiting from a walkover as well). Not murderer's row, but he'll be fresh for his QF against Tsonga or Berdych (probably Tsonga).
:superlol::superlol:

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

well..bellucci could have been tough ,its not kei's fault thomaz is so damn up and down. but yeah, the rest of his draw has been a joke

·
Registered
8,389 Posts

Expected.
Tsonga and Berdych are good match-ups for Kei, but Berdych will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

Good energy conserving match from Kei, turns it up when he needs to, coasts the rest of the way, he should be very fresh for the QFs. Extremely fortunate draw for him I must say, Gabashvili was awful most of the time, double faulting on break points twice, but this is what happens when you play the best of the best, you get nervous. Gaba and Bellucci were playing as well as they ever did before they faced Kei, only a totally on fire opponent will catch him.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Cakewalk of a draw so far for Kei, will have his first toughie next match either way. Although on the whole he has been solid, it is concerning that Kei has routinely struggled from double breaks up in his three matches.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

As was expected, Gabashvili tried to boss Nishikori around with 100% hard shots. Didn't work. He tried to mix in some variety from the 2nd set on. Didn't work either.

A routine win for Nishikori, and the scoreline is a tad flattering for Gabashvili, who I believe did his best. It's just that nothing he could do worked against this Nishikori.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts

Nishikori-Tsonga should be a treat.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Easy draw so far but I hope he can get through to the SF at least.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,836 Posts

Impressive performance in tricky conditions but still not the cleanest by his standards in terms of UEs contributing to the second serve deficits. Main thing is that he kept constant pressure on Gaba's serve, both 1st and 2nd serve returns were excellent and dictated rallies a good proportion of the time. Also very good balance of offense and defense today.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Impressive performance in tricky conditions but still not the cleanest by his standards in terms of UEs contributing to the second serve deficits. Main thing is that he kept constant pressure on Gaba's serve, both 1st and 2nd serve returns were excellent and dictated rallies a good proportion of the time. Also very good balance of offense and defense today.

I don't know if those unforced error numbers are accurate. From what I saw, a lot of the errors from Kei were coming from deep and hart hit balls from Gaba. So, my feeling is that some of those unforced should go into the forced error column.

Also, some of those errors may have been due to the heavy rain soaked balls. So, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Harry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts