Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say what you want, but Cuevas is a strong claycourter and last year he also dropped sets in the early rounds.

3 down, 4 to go. :wavey:

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Thiem has not looked good at all. I know Monfils is a good match up, but he's still too good a player for Thiem to win with his level from the last couple matches. Cuevas is a shadow of his former self.

·
justice for all
13,115 Posts
I watched only bits of it so can’t say if Dominic’s level has improved or not. Can anyone tell me?

Anyway, glad he won it and oś through to the last 16.

Monfils will be though unlike some here think.

Come on!

·
|
14,288 Posts
Thiem is nowhere near as good this year compared to last year.
Looks like we're getting Nadal-Djokovic Final : )

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
That was another ragged performance here in Paris from Domi, with a capital R.

Nice to see Pablo getting back into form and having decent results of late.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I watched only bits of it so can’t say if Dominic’s level has improved or not. Can anyone tell me?

Anyway, glad he won it and oś through to the last 16.

Monfils will be though unlike some here think.

Come on!

I'll try to help since no one else did...I'd say Thiem improved marginally. His game isn't as clean as it can be at times (which earlier we could perhaps blame on the opponents a bit but I can't see an argument for that with Cuevas at this stage).

Thiem still looks like he has a lot of energy, still crushes the ball and is definitely good enough to get out of his quarter and from there anything can happen.

·
justice for all
13,115 Posts
I'll try to help since no one else did...I'd say Thiem improved marginally. His game isn't as clean as it can be at times (which earlier we could perhaps blame on the opponents a bit but I can't see an argument for that with Cuevas at this stage).

Thiem still looks like he has a lot of energy, still crushes the ball and is definitely good enough to get out of his quarter and from there anything can happen.
Thanks. Yeah, anything can happen but for Dominic to have a chance to beat Djokovic or Nadal he needs to be in top form which is not the case at the moment.

The good thing is he gets hardened in the battle and faces different types of opponents every round.

We'll see how he fares vs Monfils.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Thiem has not looked good at all. I know Monfils is a good match up, but he's still too good a player for Thiem to win with his level from the last couple matches. Cuevas is a shadow of his former self.
No he isnt. The tour is better now.

·
|
14,288 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, anything can happen but for Dominic to have a chance to beat Djokovic or Nadal he needs to be in top form which is not the case at the moment.

The good thing is he gets hardened in the battle and faces different types of opponents every round.

Actually Thiem was in top form last year and couldn't even take a set from Rafa in the RG Final.
Thiem beat Rafa at 2017 Rome, 2018 Madrid, 2019 Barcelona, and it counts for nothing at RG, because Rafa's ball bounces too high for him at RG, rending his backhand useless : )

·
justice for all
13,115 Posts
Actually Thiem was in top form last year and couldn't even take a set from Rafa in the RG Final.
Thiem beat Rafa at 2017 Rome, 2018 Madrid, 2019 Barcelona, and it counts for nothing at RG, because Rafa's ball bounces too high for him at RG, rending his backhand useless : )
How many times will you repeat this? Do you ever get bored with your posting? Cause readers obviously do.

·
|
14,288 Posts
How many times will you repeat this? Do you ever get bored with your posting? Cause readers obviously do.
Everybody on this forum discusses the same things over and over again, and their opinions generally don't change, and neither does mine : )

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

It's not clear to me how well Djokovic and Nadal are playing either; Djokovic hasn't played anyone of note on clay yet and Nadal has had some unplayable periods and some less than stellar periods too.

Thiem is obviously still a major threat provided he doesn't have an uncharacteristically bad match or go 4.5 hours etc.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

You have to give NADALalot credit; he (she?) maintains a cheerful attitude no matter what happens it would seem and even when directly insulted etc. That's a rare quality in life and especially around here :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts