1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never underestimate a champion.

last week:
Wawrinka is Finnish.
yeah, finnish mugging around and back to business!

·
23,064 Posts
After Stan wins the 1st match of a tournament, you should never count him out, I guess. I think this could've been a tough one seeing how good Garin is this year, but Stan really took control and never looked back. After he served for the 2nd successfully, I knew it would be time until Stan wins the match. 6-0 though...he has had these big scores like 6-1 and 6-2 this clay season, but for reason cannot convert them into wins. Usually something goes wrong (usually after getting broken) and he isn't able to recover. But I think the Bo5 just gives his more room to relax and not rush on thinking. He seems to be having a good time in Paris too so I wonder if he's making more fun time to ease stress.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
Was Garin injured, or something? I only caught the last two games.

At least there is no Raonic but Wawrinka has a tough draw. It's hard to imagine him stringing wins together.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The stanimal is back. That was so goddamn beautiful, I'm deeply touched. When was the last time Stan could play a whole match on this insane level?

Now I hope he gets Dimitrov in the next round, his ultimate tool at Slams. Then he can feast on Tsistipas, before he will bend down before his true master.

We all know we need Djokovic to stop Nadal here. But I'll admit I'm a little sad that we are not able to see the Stanimal tearing apart the Serb and then feast on his remains.

·
Registered
57,606 Posts
Wow, Stan finding some form

Still can't say I am totally convinced his current movement cuts it against a top guy though, regardless of how well he's striking the ball.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
People saying Wawrinka is done when he loses at Micky Mouse tournaments should be ashamed of themselves. Expected.

The stanimal is back. That was so goddamn beautiful, I'm deeply touched. When was the last time Stan could play a whole match on this insane level?

Now I hope he gets Dimitrov in the next round, his ultimate tool at Slams. Then he can feast on Tsistipas, before he will bend down before his true master.

We all know we need Djokovic to stop Nadal here. But I'll admit I'm a little sad that we are not able to see the Stanimal tearing apart the Serb and then feast on his remains.
To be fair, Cilic is an ultimate tool for him everywhere. And even more here on this dead slow clay. :cool:

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I hate to say it, but Stan is finished. He can't even win Geneva anymore. Retirement isn't too far away.
Forehand and return in sets 2 and 3 were shockingly bad. He can’t even get a grip on dzumhur‘s wta serve. He won’t do any damage at the French open. I think he’s done too
Sad to witness how this great player slowly enters into the final stage of his decline...
If this is his footspeed now, he's done.
Wawrinka is Finnish.
I'll just leave these here for posterity ;)

·
justice for all
13,157 Posts

And just a couple of weeks after some of the same people had said Nadal was done too. Didn't that suggest any caution?

Of course Djoker was leading the charge on that front and said Nadal was done and would get destroyed by Novak in Rome too for that matter.
Sorry, mate, but isn't it too early for such a bump?

It's only the 2nd round. So still a long way to go before we may claim Stan in back there fighting in later stages of a slam.

I'd love him to have another deep run in a slam and ideally win it all but let's not get ahead of ourselves, OK?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts

And just a couple of weeks after some of the same people had said Nadal was done too. Didn't that suggest any caution?

Of course Djoker was leading the charge on that front and said Nadal was done and would get destroyed by Novak in Rome too for that matter.
It’s just two matches lol. At least wait and see if Stan can make another deep run in a major. No need to gloat after just two matches. I would love for Stan to prove me wrong and win another major, but let’s not get too carried away after just two matches.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Sorry, mate, but isn't it too early for such a bump?

It's only the 2nd round. So still a long way to go before we may claim Stan in back there fighting in later stages of a slam.

I'd love him to have another deep run in a slam and ideally win it all but let's not get ahead of ourselves, OK?

Stan could lose of course but to say he was done after a few matches while working his way back into form after some injuries etc...that's what was too early.

He lost 5 games against Garin, a guy many were talking up as a pretty good clay courter (which he generally is in fact).

If anyone got ahead of himself it was the people pronouncing him dead right after they had just done the same thing to Nadal.

It's ok to admit you were too quick to judge.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
It’s just two matches lol. At least wait and see if Stan can make another deep run in a major. No need to gloat after just two matches. I would love for Stan to prove me wrong and win another major, but let’s not get too carried away after just two matches.
So this is a trend I see; you guys pronounce him dead after a few matches but that's not a hasty judgment. Only when someone else says you should give it more time is that hasty and this after the other guy many of you pronounced dead is currently the favorite to win RG.

It's pretty confusing how it works around here.

·
justice for all
13,157 Posts
Stan could lose of course but to say he was done after a few matches while working his way back into form after some injuries etc...that's what was too early.

He lost 5 games against Garin, a guy many were talking up as a pretty good clay courter (which he generally is in fact).

If anyone got ahead of himself it was the people pronouncing him dead right after they had just done the same thing to Nadal.

It's ok to admit you were too quick to judge.
Look, Stan's never been his old self and has been struggling with his form since RG 2017 which is exactly 2 years not "after a few matches"... read again what you wrote, man.

Garin is a great clay courter but he ruined his RG preparation when he declined entering Madrid qualifications and went back to South America. So he isn't in great form really.

So no, it's is YOU who is getting ahead of yourself here. It's obvious really so no point arguing here.

And if it's ok to admit you are too quick to judge then do it. ;-)

I'll admit I was wrong when Stan reaches a SF, OK?

·
justice for all
13,157 Posts
So this is a trend I see; you guys pronounce him dead after a few matches but that's not a hasty judgment. Only when someone else says you should give it more time is that hasty and this after the other guy many of you pronounced dead is currently the favorite to win RG.

It's pretty confusing how it works around here.
It's a trend you try to play a smart guy and prove everyone is wrong. But this time you went a bridge too far. "A few matches", LOL.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts