Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
much harder than the scoreline would suggest. thomaz was just to inconsistent today. he played his best tennis when it was to late and both the 2nd and 3rd sets. Kei had an injury timeout for his hand at the end

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
French Open R2: (5) Nishikori def. Bellucci 7-5 6-4 6-4

Pretty average stuff from Kei and he seemed to pick up a blister on his left thumb. No matter, though as he got through this and looks to have a good draw going forward.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Re: RG R2: Nishikori def. Bellucci 7-5,6-4,6-4

C'mon guys. Weren't you saying that this one smelled the most like an upset in R2? Now that Nishikori routined GOAT Bellucci, just meh?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Kei looking pretty good today although I don't think he served particularly well. That allowed Bellucci to return Kei's second serves really hard in the 3rd set. Kei should really get his first serve percentage up.

NID though.

Harry

·
Registered
878 Posts

Have to say I am very impressed with Bellucci. If he can be a little more aggressive in returning serves, I think he can go pretty far.

Harry

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

Was a very tough match overall, especially the first set which was very competitive, Kei again coming through when it matters, this is what the top players do. Tough luck for Bellucci, drawing Kei this early, could have easily made R4 with his present form. Glad this was over in straights, Kei should be fine against Becker, who probably won't have too much left in the tank after today (and also being a terrible clay player this is practically a bye to R4).

·
Registered
363 Posts

Kei looking pretty good today although I don't think he served particularly well. That allowed Bellucci to return Kei's second serves really hard in the 3rd set. Kei should really get his first serve percentage up.

NID though.

Harry
57% first serve percentage is his average level.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,199 Posts

Quite competitive actually, but the two early breaks in the second and third helped Kei a lot. Bellucci played aggressive tennis in patches, but really made some bad errors including DFs and poor dropshots on BPs to go down those sets. He did well to recover one break, but Kei would not be denied serving it out a second time. This is a good match for Kei given Bellucci is a threat on this surface. Not his best match by far, but there were some awesome shotmaking from both players, including an around-the-net BH winner from Nishikori. R3 and R4 pretty straightforward by the looks of things.

Stats here:

·
Registered
375 Posts

Damn, just 8 (now 9) posts on this? Kei flying under the radar.... anti-kamikaze, really.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

People were bigging this up as THE r2 match to watch (apparently it was the Monfils/Schwartzman match that holds that disctinction), it was quality affair but Kei is a far far superior player at this stage. Hopefully cleans out Becker and fresh for Rosol/Gabashvili.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Nishis got to be happy to be through this in 3, next two matches look more comfortable.
Would be good for the game if he leapfrogged Berdshit took his rightful place as #4 :yeah:

·
Registered
350 Posts

The lack of excitment over a win against a very difficult opponent puts to rest the idea that Nishikori is overrated on MTF.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

Clay Nishikori.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I couldn't watch the match, but pretty much all the reports tell me that Bellucci didn't show any fatigue, and was the same in-form Bellucci at least in the 1st set. It seems that Nishikori made some absurd shots for important points as well. I don't see many who can straight-set Bellucci in his current form like that. Neither Berdych, nor Wawrinka, nor Roger. Very good sign.

·
Premium Member
25,684 Posts
It seems that Nishikori made some absurd shots for important points as well. I don't see many who can straight-set Bellucci in his current form like that. Neither Berdych, nor Wawrinka, nor Roger. Very good sign.
Proving my point that he has all the way getting into the SF.
That is an improved version of the Samurai. :worship:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

C'mon guys. Weren't you saying that this one smelled the most like an upset in R2? Now that Nishikori routined GOAT Bellucci, just meh?
Ive gotta say Nish did very well here. bellucci has been very good lately. Nish, Ferrer and Tsonga are the danger men outside of Nadal/Murray/Djokovic in this tournament.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts