Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Very good indeed from Novak. Very solid off both wings, good mixup and excellent serving. Too bad this will be the only Swiss he will face in this tournament.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Laaksonen had a good showing in sets 2 and 3, his FH ball-striking was pretty aggressive but not enough to penetrate Djokovic’s strong defense. The big 3 all pass R2 without getting to 5-5 in a set, smooth sailing all around.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Nadal - Djokovic final is almost for 100% confirmed with this draw. Tbh there is no need to watch male competition till the final, this is the match majority is waiting for.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
The second set was really good. Some great tennis from both guys. It's just that Djokovic is relentless and he is moving so well.

Laaksonen tried very hard and he gave it all but everything was coming back.

When I watch Djokovic stretching, sliding and returning impossible balls from out of nowhere, my knees hurt, my eyes are bleeding, my whole body aches :bolt:. My head is spinning :scratch::hysteric::eek2::wow:.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I watched only parts of this match but Novak looked very solid. Most importantly, he needed just 1.5 hour. It's great that he's conserving the energy - he will need it soon.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
In set 2, which was the best set, Laaksonen had his moments and his chances.
A bit of bad luck, a few bad (enough) backhands and here and there a bit of luck and maybe Laaksonen can win a set like this.

His forehand was deep and heavy in times, but the mentality and relentlessness was not there to win a set.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Laaksonen was very good after 1st set, definitely under-ranked player. His serve is good and his fh is world class at times. Tbh, Novak was hyper-aggressive and borderline unplayable for him at the start. Laaksonen tried crushing every single ball to stay even but that got him "only" the honorable defeat. Good match/test for Novak.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Very poor by both after a good 1st by Nole, which he followed up with a pushing and screaming "ehhh!" masterclass.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
measured stuff by nole, and decent second set by laaksonen. in fact his serve/FH was that good at times i was wondering why he's ranked that low, should be top50 at least imo...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts