Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well done, Domi. It was a very winnable R1 match. Should have closed it in the third (had two match points, then lost 4 in a row), but at least he won it in the next set.

Cuevas (even if he's never made a singles R3) will be much tougher.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Well, the 3rd set was totally unnecessary since he wasted tons of BPs in that set and 2 MPs in the match. He was without any doubt the far better player from the Baseline than Bedene, but Dominic made too many UE today.

But a win is a win and he defended the points from last year. I hope he plays better against Cuevas :yeah:

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
He can win against Cuevas, he shouldn't be that hard imo. He has a chance to go at least R3. Should be an okay result.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
He can win against Cuevas, he shouldn't be that hard imo.
But as you saw today - he's so inconsistent. He has the game, but some errors are really horrible. And he needs to work on his return.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Bedene was good today very solid. I think Cuevas will be easier actually he has't been playing that well recently (besides Istanbul) and lost a set against Groth on clay....

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Solid result for Dom in the circumstances after having played a long final on Saturday. Lost the third set tie break in a very poor fashion but took in his stride and was very strong both mentally and physically in the 4th.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Bedene was good today very solid. I think Cuevas will be easier actually he has't been playing that well recently (besides Istanbul) and lost a set against Groth on clay....
Cuevas won´t be easier than Bedene and he was fine vs Groth today.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
The work and spin Cuevas gets on the ball on a clay court will make him much more of a test than Bedene.

Bedene has a nice game but medium paced hardcourts you'd think would be his bread and butter given he hits fairly flat.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
He can win against Cuevas, he shouldn't be that hard imo. He has a chance to go at least R3. Should be an okay result.
Cuevas is a really tricky opponent on clay.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Not really convincing. Should improve on the surface which he regards as his favorite.
2nd round will be very tough.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Unnecessary to go four, but Domi makes it over the first hurdle :yeah:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
That was really a gifted 3rd set.
In a Best-of-three such things would be even more problematic.
With best-of-5 you have more the physical component...

Thiem - cuevas could be a fantastic five setter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts