·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tough day to be a Struff hater. :armed:

·
Registered
403 Posts
2-6 W/L record on clay this season, that's absolutely disastrous for a player of his supposed calibre. Not surprised though, there are so many asterisks to his game and only time will tell if they will be rectified.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Painful year for both Shap and his fans so far. His game just isn't coming together and you can see how frustrated he is every time he steps on a court.
Shapo fans have been criticizing the people who've been saying this sort of thing for the last 9 months or so. He has stagnated and that is never a good thing to see for a young promising player. You always want to be growing as a young player, even if it's slow growth.

He's only 20, but I honestly expected more from him by now. This is a guy who beat the world number 1 and made a masters SF at 18. Naturally, people expected...more from him. Outside of a couple masters SF, what else can you say Shapovalov has done since his USO 4th round in 2017? His 18 year compatriot is now ranked higher than he is and he barely became a regular on tour this year.

Tsitsipas is what everyone including me thought Shapovalov would be by now.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Shapo fans have been criticizing the people who've been saying this sort of thing for the last 9 months or so. He has stagnated and that is never a good thing to see for a young promising player. You always want to be growing as a young player, even if it's slow growth.

He's only 20, but I honestly expected more from him by now. This is a guy who beat the world number 1 and made a masters SF at 18. Naturally, people expected...more from him. Outside of a couple masters SF, what else can you say Shapovalov has done since his USO 4th round in 2017? His 18 year compatriot is now ranked higher than he is and he barely became a regular on tour this year.

Yes, I had hoped he would achieve more by now, but I don't see him as stagnating. However, I don't see him as moving forwards as much as I thought he might. Still, I see him as young and his game is going to take a bit longer to gel. He just reached his third Masters SF, and has also had a few QF's as well. Felix has stepped ahead, for now. I want to see what he'll do when it's not on clay.

I never expected Denis to do well on clay. But, he's also had horrendous draws, and that has been tough. I'm reserving judgment until I see the end of the year.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not a lot to say. Playing Struff in R1 was a very tough draw (his clay season draws have been rough over all), but that's how it is sometimes.
Time is on his side.

·
Registered
455 Posts

And who beat Tsitsipas in a stunning TB last time they met in Miami? And who has the H2H advantage?
So what if Shapo hasn't fulfilled some folks expectations? He has just turned 20.

Tsitsipas is less than a year older, but is a more complete and mature player. Shapo still has a lot of things to improve and hone. Not saying that Tsitsipas won't improve, but Denis has a bigger upside in my view.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Struff is just too good atm, he should've even beat Nishikori in Rome.

Hopefully, grass season will be better for Shapo than last year. He has the game to do damage on grass.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
2-6 W/L record on clay this season, that's absolutely disastrous for a player of his supposed calibre. Not surprised though, there are so many asterisks to his game and only time will tell if they will be rectified.
One of the biggest mysteries to me is how Shapovalov managed to get to Madrid 2018 Masters SF??

On the other hand… just looked at his stats on ATP main site and damn … self explanatory … was thinking it's Querrey on the photo:surprise:

·
Registered
403 Posts
One of the biggest mysteries to me is how Shapovalov managed to get to Madrid 2018 Masters SF??

On the other hand… just looked at his stats on ATP main site and damn … self explanatory … was thinking it's Querrey on the photo:surprise:
High altitude that suits his low % bashing game + cakewalk draw.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts