Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scrappy tennis. Simon wasn't really on but played well from the baseline. Denis made UEs like a machine. I expected something like this. Denis never dominates, especially when he can and should.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Take Away's from this match:

Glad Denis is through but the UE's were painful to watch. Also, this is the 2nd tournament in a row where he served for the match and couldn't get it done. You don't want that to become a habit. However, he was also very good at the net again, and mentally, he was always in the match. I don't know who he plays next, but the errors need to come down and serving more consistent. He's played a lot of tennis lately but he also had a week off so I hope he's sharper next round. Wishing him the best.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
A typical Simon match, that was on Shapo's racket the whole time, yet I am glad he managed to close it in 4. Had it gone to 5, Gilles would have had the mental edge. He just finds his way into points, games, sets, matches, marathons... Showed a lot of heart and saved a couple 0-40 games. But in the key moments his serve let him down or Shapo came up with lucky line lickers. He should have won the second set, probably. Denis should have won the third.

The new top tenner totally did his part. A solid and very mature performance. There were moments in the match when it felt like the momentum was shifting, like Gilles' was resilience getting under his skin, but he never really let it amount to something bigger than a single loose game. He regrouped quickly after each misstep and applied himself in the next return game. Creating 24BP's and converting 11 out of those is nothing to sniff at. Moutet was 13/25 in the match that lasted almost double the time.
Very proficient at the net too.

Another test awaits in R2. RCB loves his clay...

P.S. HE on clay must become a thing. Like the day before yesterday, really..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I think Simon might have taken it in 5 if he took one of his set points in the second. Dissappointed cause that was my prediction. Also Simon wont have many more French opens. Still, he still has some game, nice to see

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I thought this was a highly entertaining match, Denis distinguished himself as usual with some incredible shotmaking and Gilles distinguished himself by continuing to fight against a much better player and taking a set.

Denis hit some dropshots that were Out Of This World.
I am loving his clay game.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Scrappy tennis. Simon wasn't really on but played well from the baseline. Denis made UEs like a machine. I expected something like this. Denis never dominates, especially when he can and should.
Disagree re scrappy. Denis hit upwards of 50 winners by the end of the 4rd, or something like that. There were lots of breaks of serve, but that just means the serves were not the main determining factors. I thought it was lovely tennis, interesting tennis.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Very enjoyable tennis. I thought this was a high level match and Simon hit some beauties but Shapo really, really hit many beauties and his net game is becoming superb. So far as Shapo's unforced errors go, I can find it in my heart to forgive him, it's part of the package.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Disagree re scrappy. Denis hit upwards of 50 winners by the end of the 4rd, or something like that. There were lots of breaks of serve, but that just means the serves were not the main determining factors. I thought it was lovely tennis, interesting tennis.
Yes, he hit some beauties. And yes the serves were not the main story today.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This match as a Shapo fan was almost perfect to watch. At 4 sets it was enough to greatly entertain and not so long and in dispute to have to reach for my blood pressure medicine.

·
justice for all
16,818 Posts
Denis looked good for patches but sometimes too scrappy. So it wasn’t his greatest performance. On the other hand Simon is the player who usually makes other players play bad - he did it many times to Federer or Djokovic, so no surprise here.
At the end of the day a win is a win, so we should be glad Senis closed it in 4 cause the 5th could be a mess.
Onto the 2nd round!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Shapo's explosive game suits clay.Esp his fh,i like it.Some Rafa vibes with that fh

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very enjoyable tennis. I thought this was a high level match and Simon hit some beauties but Shapo really, really hit many beauties and his net game is becoming superb. So far as Shapo's unforced errors go, I can find it in my heart to forgive him, it's part of the package.
I was just frustrated yesterday. Denis did win and Simon played well. There were many superb shots from both players. I think it was the many UEs (that I well know is "part of the package") that upset me.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
Nid...

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I was just frustrated yesterday. Denis did win and Simon played well. There were many superb shots from both players. I think it was the many UEs (that I well know is "part of the package") that upset me.
This time it's not only about Shapovalov and his high risk game, but also about Simon's game. He runs down every ball and brings it back with little pace, so the person on the other side of the net is tempted to hit harder and harder to get past him. This may become very frustrating very quickly, especially on your first try. Yes, Shapo's short lapses and failures at maintaining a lead and converting BP's were something everyone could live without, but I doubt anyone expected a clinic under these circumstances. 55 winners to "only" 65 UE on this slow ass clay against Simon, whom he's never played before, and who raised his level as the match progressed, is as solid as it gets. I honestly think it was a good performance.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It was an entertaining match from what I watched, simon has the game to trouble valov but the canadian managed not to give in to the UEs and executed his game plan really well, good win. The 2nd set comeback was really great too, saving a few set points on simons serve and played some lights out points. Coming into this match I was expecting a 4 set win, with 3 straight forward sets and 1 set when he lost the plot, instead we got 2 easy sets and 2 tough sets they split between them. Some great net played by denis, the doubles he played are really paying off. He has a tough draw, but hopefully with his improved clay game he can reach the QF\SF here, it would be huge for him.

The score in the 4th set was 6-3 BTW.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This time it's not only about Shapovalov and his high risk game, but also about Simon's game. He runs down every ball and brings it back with little pace, so the person on the other side of the net is tempted to hit harder and harder to get past him. This may become very frustrating very quickly, especially on your first try. Yes, Shapo's short lapses and failures at maintaining a lead and converting BP's were something everyone could live without, but I doubt anyone expected a clinic under these circumstances. 55 winners to "only" 65 UE on this slow ass clay against Simon, whom he's never played before, and who raised his level as the match progressed, is as solid as it gets. I honestly think it was a good performance.
Well said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts