Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,639 Posts
RG R1: Herbert def. [12]Medvedev 4-6 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5

What an upset. PHH like Mahut had so much success coming forward to the net. PHH also grinded Medvedev down at pts, impressive! Tense 5th set, both had their chances.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Only saw the last set but I was surprised by how well herbert played it. Good defence, stayed aggressive and volleyed well (although dumped a few he should have got). Medvedev was smacking good angles and deep but Herbert hung in there and saved a few break points, as did Medvedev. He seemed to be playing better than his ranking of 43.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
PHH probably gets Paire next in a battle of the Frenchmen.

As much as I like Daniil, this opens up the draw for Paire now...

Overall this clay season was a big improvement for the Russian in terms of number of matches won, but let's see what he does on grass and at Wimbledon. Will be hard to beat there.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
PHH clearly inspired by Mahut's comeback yesterday, great effort from him :yeah:

Medvedev :hug:

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Only watched the 5th and there was a lot of drama and physical baseline tennis disrupted by Herbert's net escapades. This is really surprising as I thought Danil would have a decent tournament here.
BTW Herbert's pre-service motion is irritating.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Herbert probably the player with the better forehand here.

What a grind it was.

French crowd are pathetic. What a culture of people.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Herbert and Mahut, defending doubles champions, both both pull out a win from 0-2 against a top 16 seed! Awesome!
Ironically and Strangely , they are not playing together this RG :|

Whatever may have happened? Anyone

Mahut is teaming up with Melzer. Cheering up for them here

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Looks like the tennis experts are right after all, Medeved is indeed a mug on clay.
Herbert could be tricky also. Herbert mixed it up in attacking and counter-punch nicely. That plus him successfully putting the crowd behind .

Just excellence and right mind put into winning

1 - 20 of 35 Posts