Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard of this kid, was surprised he was such a big favorite against Lopez. I'm impressed. Faces countryman Struff in round 2.

Forgive me for the lame pun in the title. I had to :censored::censored::censored::censored:

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Great patience by Altmaier as Lopez really makes you earn the points in the rallies. I'm too used to him blowing up with errors in Challengers so this was admirable even if it is Lopez on clay. He will give Struff a tough time as both are making silly errors in their form now.

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Lopez probably only plays RG to keep the Slam streak going at this point. His plan A doesn't really work on clay and his plan B (i.e. moonballing) doesn't work anymore at his current age and fitness.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
F Lopez iron man historic injury free run proceeds into 2021, the 19th year of the astonishing streak of straight appearances in grand slam main draws. Nobody will ever come close to even matching this record.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Lopez probably only plays RG to keep the Slam streak going at this point. His plan A doesn't really work on clay and his plan B (i.e. moonballing) doesn't work anymore at his current age and fitness.
You didn't watch the match, did you?

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
You didn't watch the match, did you?
I did in fact at least til my stream died, he had his chances but he also played one of the worst players in the draw. I'm not saying he didn't try, I'm just saying wins on clay are probably going to be very hard to come by at this point in his career. The only part of his game that still works is the all-court net rushing and clay is too slow for that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I periodically forget about Lopez. Its just crazy that he is still solidly there in the top 100 at the age of 39. I see no reason why he cant serve and volley at the top for at least 2-3 years more. Its so nice to watch him on grass, he is like a living piece of history with that gracious movement and serve volley botting

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Daniel, great win, i know its clay, but to beat Lopez in straights in your first slam match is really impressive! :)

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I periodically forget about Lopez. Its just crazy that he is still solidly there in the top 100 at the age of 39. I see no reason why he cant serve and volley at the top for at least 2-3 years more. Its so nice to watch him on grass, he is like a living piece of history with that gracious movement and serve volley botting
It’s only because he won Queens last year, the 500 points won’t come off for another 9 months. Unless he can find another miraculous run, he’ll probably leave the top 100 after that.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I did in fact at least til my stream died, he had his chances but he also played one of the worst players in the draw. I'm not saying he didn't try, I'm just saying wins on clay are probably going to be very hard to come by at this point in his career. The only part of his game that still works is the all-court net rushing and clay is too slow for that.
Yeah, conditions were not in his favour but he still played pretty well. Altmaier might look like a kind draw on paper but he was hitting the ball like a dream.

As for fitness, I don't think that is an issue for Feli, he takes that part seriously.

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
No way Altmaier is one of the worst players in the draw, he will be comfortably in the top 100 a year from now and has top 50 potential

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Never heard of this kid, was surprised he was such a big favorite against Lopez. I'm impressed. Faces countryman Struff in round 2.

Forgive me for the lame pun in the title. I had to :censored::censored::censored::censored:
Obviously didnt read my thread so...

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
No way Altmaier is one of the worst players in the draw, he will be comfortably in the top 100 a year from now and has top 50 potential
He has talent, but there's 80 players in the draw who would beat him at this moment in time

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Altmaier has been tearing it up for months. His attitude is awesome - goes really, really hard with almost no letdowns and no mercy. I like him on fast hard courts too, but on clay he's even better.

To the ones who just heard about him for a first time - I don't blame you, he wasn't playing anything close to his current level just a few years ago. I think he had injuries too, but in 2019 and 2020 he really picked up his game and I'm happy for him.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Altmaier had a serious Shoulder Injury in 2019 and was our for almost 8 months. He came back on futures and COVID-19 stopped his climb. I honestly think he can best Struff!

·
Registered
68,134 Posts
Deli is old and supports far right in Spain so I’m very happy he lost

1 - 17 of 17 Posts