Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No thread? Feels like a mixed affair. kei was quite solid in first set then had quite some bad moments to go from 2-0 up to down a break 2-3. Naturally he broke back immediately but the lull reminded me of Federer vs. Anderson in Rome. Anticlimactic end to second set with a dead let cord on return. Third set was a breeze got to 5-0 before you knew it.

Streams:help: couldn't watch a full pt! However seems like PHM hit harder and quicker in set 2 combined with poor play from Kei that set, but he couldn't sustain the high risk tennis as the third set showed.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Re: RG R1: [5] Nishikori def. Henri-Mathieu 6-3 7-5 6-1ey

Kei didn't look that great in this victory, would have had problems against a better player. However he improved in the third set and still won. Will need to improve his play though.

·
54,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Kei didn't look that great in this victory, would have had problems against a better player. However he improved in the third set and still won. Will need to improve his play though.
Wish I could have seen points in full if not for those superlaggy streams. But yeah serving was pretty bad at times and the breaks he handed on a platter.:(

·
Registered
645 Posts

boring match... PHM tried hitting ball as hard as he could, cause every time they tried playing tennis, he was on loosing end... thus why Nishikori couldn't find any rhythm, but it seemed he had match under control all the time.
that net cord did bring him second set, but in all fairness, even if the ball went on his side, and PHM got next two points and venture into TB, I dont think he stand any chance there

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Gonna need to significantly improve as the week goes on. Doubt Kei will be the only high seed to struggle a little in the opening rounds.

·
Registered
22,197 Posts

There are some very special people in the press room.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

Q. I read your book, and I also took your two-week diet. Just wondering, do you know of a place here in Paris that serves gluten-free crepes?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don't know, but I know about the bakery that has gluten-free bread.

Q. How much has --
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: How did it affect you, this two-week diet?

Q. Well, I ate healthier. I ate less. I lost weight. But I don't know that I felt much different.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: All right. Good. That's enough.

Q. That's enough? Losing weight is pretty good?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I don't know what you were looking for, but I'm just curious to hear.

Q. I did the arm test too and I had the same thing happen with me.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: With what? With dairy products or chocolate?

Q. With a slice of bread.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: But did you hold something in your stomach when you did that?

Q. Bread.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Ah, bread. So you are gluten-intolerant as well?

Q. I don't know. Maybe. Maybe.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: All right. I encourage you to keep on going.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Tough crowd, Kei was in control the entire match. PHM started ballbashing in the second set buoyed by crowd support but never seized his chances. Kei got lucky on the dead net cords a couple of times, first round matches are always tricky, he'll play better in the next round especially knowing he can put away inferior opponents in straights. If Bellucci doesn't win his next match in straights, Kei will most likely breeze by him as well despite his good form.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
I will say the crowd was packed and started cheer for Mathieu when Kei doubled faulted and broke himself in the 2nd, so that might have rattled him

·
54,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

First Mahut won a match he didn't and now this?:facepalm:
With this in mind, an interviewer should ask Olderer why he used to be so strong winning 17 slams and can't do it anymore...

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Kei was clutch throughout the match except for that second set...
He was cruising and everything was just fine until he went 2-0 up in the second. Then he proceded to lose control of the match and allow Paulo to get some rhytm. After that I think the match was quite better quality wise and I enjoyed it. Sadly, that net-cord ended what was an imminent TB :lol: (I know, I wanted Kei to win it but not with a dead let cord :lol: )
Third set was just routine.

All I can say is that Kei needs to stop having those mental lapses. It's not the first time he allows his opponents to get in the match with that attitude.

But overall a good match with nice points.

PHM :hearts: I'll always like you. Old memories!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Nishikori's crap 1st serve percentage (which dropped below 40% at one point IIRC) and PHM's switch to high-risk tennis made the 2nd set close. The result was NID throughout, though. I think PHM only had two comfortable service games in the whole match. He was actually reasonably clutch (particularly in 30-30 situations on serve).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Kei has to improve to face Bellucci.

·
Banned
923 Posts

It's a legitimate question, Federer is 33 and yet he's at his second best ranking ever. PHM should at least be in the top 20 but his laziness is likely the cause.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Paulo :hug:

Very entertaining match with lots of shotmaking. PHM played like a boss in the second set, smacking those forehands and backhands down the line. :rocker2:
Too bad he draw Nishikori here.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Seriously, I think it's more interesting when you have these kinds of journalists asking child-like questions than our usual suspects acting like they're some tennis intellectuals. I remember stumbling upon an interview with Michael Westphal (died of AIDS in 1991, career high #49) and the journo had the nerve to ask him the simple question "Why aren't you as good as Boris Becker" - like, that was all his alcoholic brain would connect with the universe of tennis, Boris Becker. And I just sat there, smiling, being happy about the obvious dullness, enjoying the moment.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That second-set set point was really unlucky - or lucky, depending on whose point of view you take - though. Just when they looked to be set for a TB. I don't think I've ever seen quite such a dead net cord :(

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Fed didn't look great either. It's the first round. Who cares. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts