Mens Tennis Forums banner

RG QF: [1] Djokovic vs [6] Nadal...Who has more to lose?

• Djokovic - will he ever get a chance as good as this for career slam?

Votes: 72 47.4%
  • Nadal - will this mean the king of clay is dead? Rafa era over?

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • Neither - it would be a devastating loss for either one.

Votes: 37 24.3%
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAFA - Going for his 10th French Open singles title - a stunning achievement if accomplished and his last chance at a big tournament clay court title this year. Losing this would indicate a definite loss of his clay court supremacy. Could a loss signal the END OF THE RAFA ERA?

NOLE - His best chance ever for attaining that elusive career slam so few greats in history have achieved. To get there he has to dethrone the King of Clay. It appears the King has never been weaker than now! If he doesn't win this, will he ever get as good a chance at the career slam???

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If Nadal lose, no decima. It's a big deal, but kind of expected.
If Djokovic lose, well that confirms that he's a loser.
So Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if nadal loses, that's it for him. he's clearly in terminal decline.

if novak loses, he will probably win it next year anyway. one way or another he's not going to be denied winning this trophy whether or not he wins it this year.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Obviously Nadal - he will be slamless - cue the Wozniacki comparisons :haha:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

if novak loses, he will probably win it next year anyway. one way or another he's not going to be denied winning this trophy whether or not he wins it this year.
Same old argument : 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014

If Djokovic loses this year he will be heading 29 without A RG Title not so sure that's a good sign.

·
Registered
645 Posts
neither.
they both will be back here next year.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Neither. I think these guys are adults capable of dealing with failure. Nadal's much heralded descent into mediocrity is imaginary, and a natural result of physical problems and missing half of last season. He'll be back. If Djokovic loses again, he is losing to the best claycourter ever. The Earth will continue spinning around its axis on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I voted Djokovic. But technically, it's nadal. You can't lose what you never had. Slamless and on his way out of the top 10 on Wednesday! Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I voted Djokovic. But technically, it's nadal. You can't lose what you never had. Slamless and on his way out of the top 10 on Wednesday! Can't wait!
He'll be 10th if he loses. With very few points left to defend, he'll likely not leave the top 10 at all this year.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I think Djokovic. If he can't win RG this of all years I sort of doubt he ever will. Nadal has won this 9 times and is due a loss here again, and he's in average form so him losing would be rather expected. I think the US Open is his best shot at a Slam this year honestly.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
He'll be 10th if he loses. With very few points left to defend, he'll likely not leave the top 10 at all this year.
I imagine the loss will depress him, but it doesn't take much to beat Nadal before QF at Wimbledon. So i stand by on his way out of top 10

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I imagine the loss will depress him, but it doesn't take much to beat Nadal before QF at Wimbledon. So i stand by on his way out of top 10
That scenario is incredibly unlikely. Dimitrov, the person ranked below him, is defending a win in Queens and a SF at Wimbledon. Nadal is only really defending a 4R at Wimbledon (180 points). Nadal isn't dropping out of the top 10, and it's mostly thanks to Dimitrov's 1st round loss.

I'm not sure why you care about the top 10 anyway -- it's really about the top 12, since the 13-16 seeds are the ones who can be drawn to face the top 4 in the fourth round.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It's symbolic.Nadal doesn't deserve to sniff another slam trophy let alone get his tusks into it

·
Registered
4 Posts

This

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Big loss for both, Nadal clearly has much, much more on the line. Nadal's career currently rests on his success at RG. He has been skipping all of the other tournaments in hopes of being fresh for the clay season. If he can't win here, then it's basically over for him.

Djokovic will obviously be devastated, but will go on to have success in other tournaments and be back to try again next year.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
djokovic has nothing to lose even if he loses, regarding this pathetic competition, next year he'll stand even better chance to win it. if nadal loses his pro career ends

1 - 20 of 170 Posts