Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Re: RG Q1: Donaldson destroys Chung 60 61

Funny because there was a lot of noise about that WC and he wasted it sooo fast :D

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Yeah, no preparation for clay courts. Fatigue from jet lag and the previous matches helped in the total destruction provided by Donaldson.
Hope at least Donaldson can make it to R1 now.

Chung's ATP tennis career starts on the grass season.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

Not unexpected. Jared trained in Argentina his whole life. Red clay is probably one of his best surfaces. Chung would have just been praying for a good draw. He'll be a disaster on clay for at least a few years.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts

theking03 :bigwave:

·
Registered
24,789 Posts

Yeah, no preparation for clay courts. Fatigue from jet lag and the previous matches helped in the total destruction provided by Donaldson.

Maybe, he'll have to get WC's it looks like, if not he'll have to qualify.

·
Bring it Home
21,135 Posts

Future slam winner this Chung for sure. :worship:

·
Registered
536 Posts

Vulturing a challenger in Korea is more important than preparing for a slam :shrug:

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

I guess we found out the answer to the question, "Why is there no hype for Chung". :spit:

Good result for Donaldson.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

This pretty much. Poor scheduling from Chung but at least he has time now to prepare for the grass. He reached the final of the junior Wimbledon 2 years ago so hopefully his game will settle well on grass at an ATP level.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Donaldson?? What's his ranking now?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

Chung was:

1) barely off a plane from Korea.
2) surely jetlagged.
3) coming off a stretch of three weeks where he won two titles and was in another final. That is a LOT of tennis.
4) switching surfaces with no time to adjust (both Korean tournaments were on hard, and before that he was playing on US clay, which is not the same as European clay).
5) facing one of the trickiest opponents in the qualifying draw.

Forgive me if I don't immediately say all the promise he's demonstrated this year is FALSE FALSE FALSE. One bad result with so much going against him is not cause for rending of the garments.

His ranking is a healthy #69 and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does on the tour in the grass season. He's got time to go practice and get ready now.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Chung was:

2) surely jetlagged.
3) coming off a stretch of three weeks where he won two titles and was in another final. That is a LOT of tennis.
4) switching surfaces with no time to adjust (both Korean tournaments were on hard, and before that he was playing on US clay, which is not the same as European clay).

Forgive me if I don't immediately say all the promise he's demonstrated this year is FALSE FALSE FALSE. One bad result with so much going against him is not cause for rending of the garments.

His ranking is a healthy #69 and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does on the tour in the grass season. He's got time to go practice and get ready now.

·
Registered
19,415 Posts

Oh my :facepalm: I guess Chung couldn't care less about the Roland Garros judging by the way he prepared for it...well, I hope he does well in Wimbledon

·
Registered
18,098 Posts

Chung was:

2) surely jetlagged.

Sensible post. Chung will have direct entry at Wimbledon, right?

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,732 Posts

Well Chung kinda deserves it for having zero clay prep, I doubt if he can even move on this surface.
Don't be harsh with him. It's normal he didn't have a normal prep on clay as he was focused on playing and entering to semi-professional tennis at the first months, furthermore he already played on clay in Savannah (on green clay :p ) a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
21,595 Posts

Chung was:

2) surely jetlagged.

Fair enough, but if all that is true, what was the point of coming and playing at all?

·
Registered
536 Posts

He wasn't "vulturing" so much, he wanted to play in his home nation.
He played so many challengers in his home nation already, so was it really necessary to play another one a week before a slam? And he wasted a WC as well :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts