Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,629 Posts
Congrats Tommy!

Perhaps he could be different to the 10 other 17 year olds who are all going to be the next Harrison

·
Registered
395 Posts
Actually I don't think that Paul is going to be a top player. Decent game, but nothing spectacular. Kozlov, Donaldson and Tiafoe are more talented imo.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
This puts the cherry on top of Tommy's amazing spring. Getting a couple of Challenger match wins and defeating Bemelmans (ranked 101 at the time), then heading to Europe and winning two of the three Futures tournaments he entered (reaching the semi at the other Futures tournament he entered) :worship: Congratulations Tommy! :cheerleader: Who knows what the future holds but he's having some nice results :)

Tommy was unlucky in his previous two attempts at Junior Grand Slam tournaments. He got Borna Coric in the first round of the Boys US Open 2013, and then last year's US Open he got Roman Safiullin in the first round.
He joins the other Junior Slam winners of the 1997 generation, Zverev (AO'14), Rublev (RG'14), Jasika (US'14), Safiullin (AO'15).

Tommy's social media. Give the man a follow :yeah:
https://twitter.com/TommyPaul1
https://instagram.com/tommypaull/

·
Registered
690 Posts
Congrats Tommy!

Perhaps he could be different to the 10 other 17 year olds who are all going to be the next Harrison
He's already over 18 now. Not sure what delayed his career. Never seen him play but I'm curious. Anyways, Jrs. that transition well to the pros are the ones that start to have success at 16yo and then win big tourneys at their early 17s and move on. We'll see.

·
MONSOON season.
82,370 Posts
Congrats to him :D Great year thus far.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Great job by Tommy Paul. By my count he only played a total of 3 junior matches on red clay in his career before the last month, so going W-SF-W in futures and winning RG juniors is very impressive.

Fritz's tournament was even better though, I'd say. His game is several levels worse on clay than any other surface, but he is showing good improvement on it.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
well done, i expected he'd be out of gas, but the lad is quality. Kudos

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Following in the footsteps of Fratengelo. Just wonder if he can do as well off of clay.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
"I'm not on the professional circuit yet and I don't know when I will be. I'm going to play in the Wimbledon and US Open juniors, and then we'll see. I verbally committed to join the NCAA and play for the University of Georgia, but..."

from Paul after the match

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Congrats to him, he seems like a nice guy.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I watched a couple of points he played vs Lapentti a couple of weeks ago and thought he was nothing special. But then he proceeded to win like 9 consecutive games against Arguello, had fantastic results on Futures Circuit and on top of that he has just won a Slam title.

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I watched a couple of points he played vs Lapentti a couple of weeks ago and thought he was nothing special. But then he proceeded to win like 9 consecutive games against Arguello, had fantastic results on Futures Circuit and on top of that he has just won a Slam title.
Surely the obvious lesson is that you can't judge a player on the basis of a couple of points.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
He should be a pro by now but he still plays with juniors. Half a year younger than Coric.
And if he decides to play for his college, there goes any chance of having a good career.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tommy Paul 18yo 2015
17.5.2015 Spain Futures W
30.5.2015 Italy Futures W
6.6.2015 Roland Garros Juniors W

Stan Wawrinka 18yo 2003
30.3.2003 Spain Satellites/Futures W
18.5.2003 Italy Futures SF
8.6.2003 Roland Garros Juniors W

1 - 20 of 22 Posts