Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Re: RG F (2) Nadal def. (4) Thiem 6-3, 5-7, 6-1,

12th Roland Garros, 18th Grand Slam, 82nd Title.

Incredible match, incredible tennis from Rafa, and incredible win. Well played Dominic also.

Very grueling clay season ends. Get the deserved rest now, Champ. :worship:

As Nico once said ?

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
RG Final: (2) Nadal def. (4) Thiem 6-3 5-7 6-1 6-1

After 2 solid sets by Thiem, particularly the 2nd set in which he red-lined and was unplayable on serve, his tank was running on empty and Nadal started to coast, feel comfortable and thus in return improved even more.

Thiem's tiredom played a role, but the score obviously leaves little room for alternative outcomes.

Regardless, I have to apologize for the fans of "my" fanbase who are/were saying Thiem is not tired.

Very biased and short-sighted/pitful commentary indeed.

Condolences to Thiem, you're the best clay-courter after Rafa by far. Your time will come. Maybe next year.

As for Rafa, #18 is here :aparty::bounce::hatoff::hug::dog::bigwave::banana::clapsss:

·
Registered
57,604 Posts
Re: RG F (2) Nadal def. (4) Thiem 6-3, 5-7, 6-1,

First two sets were quite close and high quality (although Thiem’s returning left something to be desired in the 2nd). Nadal’s volleying was about as good as I’ve ever seen it, and Thiem was serving unreal throughout the second.

Then in the third, following a Nadal bathroom break, Thiem just ran out of gas. As was pretty predictable. I think even if he’d gone 2-0 up he probably would have lost this in the end. Organizers absolutely ruined this event, making Thiem play 4 days in a row is ridiculous, and it could have been avoided at so many different points. It’s far from a certainty Thiem would have won anyway- Nadal would have been the favorite- but they robbed him of a shot to compete fairly.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I feel for Thiem. He’s an excellent claycourter but unfortunately he will need to wait until Bull gets old to have a chance. Maybe in 2024?

Also how unfair this game is when it took a player like Bull 33 years to get #18 while Fed 35 years :facepalm:

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
French Open Final 2019: [2]Nadal defeats [4]Thiem 6-3 5-7 6-1 6-1

Unfortunately Thiem had no legs after 2 sets due to his 4th consecutive day on court.

This slam should and probably will be remembered for the poor scheduling by the organizers which put one of the finalists at a huge disadvantage.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Classic gem delivered posted early 2nd set:

This is almost peak Rafa, folks. Maybe close to 2008 level :worship: you just gotta respect

Meanwhile the poster mountaindewslave took a big L saying Thiem had a day off on Thursday and using it as a big argument as to why he's not tired.

Upon being shown Thiem did indeed play on Thursday, he didn't find it to be relevant anymore and didn't change his tune even one bit even though a massive piece of information just turned out to be the opposite.

·
The special one
14,035 Posts
Credit to Thiem, he fought like a warrior today, kept the match very competitive for 2 sets, he just couldn't keep that intensity up after that and to beat Nadal on this court you need to play at that level for 4 or 5 hours to stand any chance. You could tell how tired he was, playing 4 consecutive days would've been a huge factor, he was physically and mentally exhausted. He'll win this tournament one day, that I'm sure of.

Congrats to Nadal and his fans on Duodecima. I doubt he'll stop winning at 12.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
well,congrats to nadal. he really did deserve it. from round one he looked the winner in the end

feel for domi though. you have to think the lack of a rest day played a factor in his collapse in the last 2 sets. he tried but he had nothing left

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
gee you lot opening the thread before it finished. Well I guess it was a foregone conclusion.

I feel for Thiem. He really tried but the odds were always stacked against him. The first two sets were phenomenal from him but Nadal is like a Mack truck, you really have a hard time stopping his momentum and he can take on anything, never seems to lose his flame, so the 3rd and 4th was an uphill battle. I hope Dominic can win the French Open some day. Nadal - you already have 12 titles now. Please be generous to a nice guy like Thiem in the future...

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Thiem's plan was to swing for the fences. It worked for Soderling, except that Soda was hitting a more penetrating, flatter ball and served better. He won the second set on pure adrenaline.
Nadal won this final yesterday and his level was lower than last year.
He might have more RGs in his legs, especially if they do not put the roof soon.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

1 - 20 of 279 Posts