Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The top 8 seeds actual path up to the Quarter Finals in terms of opponents rankings

Seed| Player |Opponent rank R1-R4| Mean | Median | Range || Results through R3 - Sets W-L | Games W-L | GameWinPct
#1 | .Djokovic | .....{87,55,84,21}..... | ....62 | .......68 | ......66 || 12-0 | 72-36 | .667
#3 | ...Murray | ....{137,44,30,45}.... | ....67 | .......44 | .....107 || 12-2 | 79-44 | .642
#6 | .....Nadal | ..{296,154,120,37}... | ..148 | ......137 | ....259 || 12-1 | 77-37 | .675
#7 | ....Ferrer | .....{94,66,60,10}..... | ....58 | .......63 | ......84 || 12-2 | 78-36 | .684

#2 | ..Federer | ....{109,57,88,14}.... | ....67 | ........72 | ......91 || 12-1 | 77-44 | .636
#4 | ..Berdych | ...{146,129,71,15}... | ....90 | ......100 | .....131 || 10-5 | 82-63 | .566
#5 | ..Nishikori | ...{125,40,48*,74}... | ..*74 | ......*44 | ....*85 ||*9-0 |*56-31 | *.644
#8 | Wawrinka | .....{81,67,56,13}..... | ...54 | ........62 | ......68 || 12-1 | 76-41 | .650

*Received walkover

Easiest to most difficult: (based on mean)
[6] Nadal gorged himself on Uncle Toni's cake
[4] Berdych shared his cake with Steps
[2] Federer & [3] Murray shared cake with their wives
[1] Djokovic had just enough cake to keep him happy
[7] Ferrer got a small slice and back to work
[8] Wawrinka cried, where was my cake?
-----
*[5] Nishikori received walkover - 1 fewer match played disqualifies him from consideration for cake (see post #12 for explanation why I excluded him).

edit: I'll update the results columns after completion of 4th round.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Fastgrass

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Re: RG Draw Review: Ease of actual path to QF for top 8 seeds

This does not tell you anything. For example so many seeds were upset in the earlier rounds and they played players of similar rank. Does that mean these players are better or lucky?

And also disaulifying Nishikori from the QF path considerations... He had to play a opponent less!!!!

So if you have 3 walkovers and play only one player to QF they will not have an easy path????

But any logic cannot be found?

·
|
15,576 Posts

Djokovic is effed, no matter what draw he gets.
Nadal has his number for the 7th time at Roland Garros.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

This does not tell you anything. For example so many seeds were upset in the earlier rounds and they played players of similar rank. Does that mean these players are better or lucky?

And also disaulifying Nishikori from the QF path considerations... He had to play a opponent less!!!!

So if you have 3 walkovers and play only one player to QF they will not have an easy path????

But any logic cannot be found?
LOL, yeah, Nishikori had the easiest path for sure.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

@Tennis4Lyf, I really make no judgements here, regarding defeated players, how well or poorly opponents played, or otherwise.
It is purely based on the actual opponents ranking. Not even sure what you meant by your first example, or if it is relevant. But maybe a bit more clarification would help.

I excluded Nishikori because he played fewer matches, and I can't consider it fair for him/others to be judged the same.
I don't know what value to give his walk-over in terms of ranking. If someone has a good suggestion on what it should be rated, I would welcome it. It's obviously easier than actually playing anyone, but on the other hand, one doesn't know what effect not playing will have on him. Others might say that the ranking of the player that gave the walkover should be used, and that the match is similar to a retirement before the first point. That said, if you others believe the walk-over automatically makes him have the easiest draw path to the QF, then by all means include him and put him at the top. :shrug:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
10,559 Posts

@masterclass

I did not mean to be rude or disregard your work. You have mentioned the "ease of actual path". I have a few questions

1. What does ease mean? Just ranking of the opponent? If yes, what is the point of the thread? If it was wanting to convey something, I fail to get it.
2. When you meant "actual path", I thought you should have considered the walkover(irrespective of effect).

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

But getting squeezed along the way before you have to face your arch-rival sure helps a bit, no?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Masterclass, credits to you! You are among the few here who actually put some numbers behind your words, and numbers not being "X slams" or "Y:Z H2H".

Reactions: masterclass

·
Administrator
18,629 Posts

This is great, credit to Materclass for all his work.

I was worried Nadal might be playing well, but overlooked the fact that sock will be his first top 100 opponent

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

@masterclass

I did not mean to be rude or disregard your work. You have mentioned the "ease of actual path". I have a few questions

1. What does ease mean? Just ranking of the opponent? If yes, what is the point of the thread? If it was wanting to convey something, I fail to get it.
2. When you meant "actual path", I thought you should have considered the walkover(irrespective of effect).
Hi, no worries. I just saw this before bed. I'll pick it up again and answer your questions and respond to others in the morning.
I just wanted to let you know I was not ignoring you, nor any others who have recently responded to this. Thanks and good night. :) :zzz:

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Tennis4Lyf

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

I was worried Nadal might be playing well, but overlooked the fact that sock will be his first top 100 opponent

That is why i think Djokovic has a great chance to win FO. Nadal has not played and get a win against player as Djokovic or close to Novak' level. Almagro did not play close to the level he played vs Djokovic in Rome.
Anyway maybe he relies on BO5 and it could be long match. But i think Djokovic plays better than he did in MC. Wawrinka,Federer as well. Nadal is in 4rd and has not played a player in top 100. Sock is not a good clay player but has power in ground strokes.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

@masterclass

Ok. Back on comp. finally, and rain is now delaying the tournament. :(

So, to answer, now that it is relatively early in the day and I can think a bit more clearly ;)

1. "Ease" of actual path, well, I could have just as well said "Difficulty" of actual path, or simply actual path. "Ease" was the first thing that came into my head. Maybe I'll change the title every couple of days... :)

I had thought the point was straight forward and self-evident, to present the rankings of top 8 opponents leading up to the QF, but I agree it's not probably controversial/exciting, no hidden meaning, no cherry picking, because the facts are facts - difficult to troll or contest. I encourage others to make judgements, comments, etc. based on the facts.

2. With regards to the walk-over received by Nishikori, I could have:

a. Included it, and assigned the ranking of the player that withdrew as I displayed with the asterisk, and it would represent the actual path, and treated it as won by Nishikori. But since no points were played, it hardly seemed fair.

b. I could have included it, and assigned some maximum ranking value to it, like 500 or something to represent the ease of the match - walk-over. But again, I thought that would be unfair as well, because 1. assigning a 500 (or other number) ranking to represent the ease of the win would be arbitrary and also over skew the match in relation to the other 3.

c. It doesn't represent the actual path in a strict sense. The player who withdrew was ranked 48. If he had retired or played badly, instead of withdrawing, he is still ranked 48. I'm not judging how well or how badly the opponent played to their ranking to determine ease or difficulty of path, I'm simply using the ranking of the opponent. But a walk-over is a bit different than retiring or poor play, it is no match at all. No win or loss is counted. So I felt this is also a bit unfair to judge it as playing a 48th ranked opponent, when they didn't play.

So because of all of these reasons, I just felt it best to exclude Nishikori from the bottom list. Was it easier for him to not play a match, sure, but since I can't reasonably quantify it, I felt he just should be excluded. That said, everyone commenting here is certainly free to try and place him in the mix based on their feelings about it.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, PM me and we can try to sort it out if needed. :)
Thanks for your comments and patience. :yeah:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So clearly he has had the easiest path (excluding the Kei issue), but the real question is, does that help him or hurt him in the long run?

On the side of helping him:

He has had more match play on PC, and builds confidence winning. But how much confidence is built winning against weaker players, or does that matter? In other words are just having the matches under his belt beneficial and help him to reach his best rhythm and play?

Or does it hurt him more?

Are these basically practice sessions where he is not really tested, and isn't really increasing his level enough to benefit him?
Will these matches be good enough preparation for significantly tougher players like Jack Sock, and if he passes that test, the toughest one, Djokovic, soon after?

Berdych has also had it relatively easy in terms of whom he has faced, and his results haven't been that overwhelming - a .630 game won pct. barely higher than Wawrinka who had the toughest road so far in these terms.

Or maybe some will say none of these results or path matter. They are all through to the Round of 16 and now the real tests come. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yeah Nice job masterclass. You just exposed that Spanish fraud again.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well to be fair, I think he has been exposed enough recently, and a lot of people are piling on when he is down. I think he has had a very unfortunate time since RG last year. Tennis is certainly different when he is competing well, when they are all competing well.

Similar struggles happened with Federer in 2013, and with Murray in 2014. This year and half of last year, Nadal has had to struggle. Maybe next year it will be Novak's turn. Who knows? Thing in tennis can change quickly. Maybe a couple of youngsters all of a sudden will find the key and start to be more consistently threatening to the top guys.

We seem to be in a phase right now where there is a struggle to see which players near the top can hang with Djokovic, and which youngsters can rise fastest and start influencing a bigger share of tournaments. At Roland Garros, 6 men of the final 16 are 30 and over. That is the most at RG since 1969! The most at any major since the 1982 US Open. Can't expect that to last forever, but it is what it is for now. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
^ It would be a godsend, if they can come back near their former level. :yeah:

Now 26 year old Del Potro was the heir apparent, in my opinion. He's been robbed in his peak years by injury.
And Soderling the X factor who is now 30.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
In other words, we need Soderking and Del Potro back to make slams interesting.
Soderling can go straight to the commentator's booth in 2016 with Wilander.

·
Registered
645 Posts

is there any chance that you will write anything but:
a: Nadal was injured, but still beat Djokovic
b: Nadal is 6-0 against Djokovic and will beat Djokovic for 7th time

i mean for the love of god, every single post you make is with your obsession of Nadal beating Djokovic. forget trolling and repeating yourself, but this is unhealthy obsession, even for a 13yr old kid.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Nadal's draw is so easy. I'm sure Fed was chomping at the bit to play Djokovic in QF and Murray in the SF.

This is just more selective data and Mugertard propaganda to make his draw seem hard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts