Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solid attacking play by Busta in cool night conditions, with strong serving and a lot of net ventures, even a few s&v instances. Altmaier has nice strokes but was quite overwhelmed by the occasion. His patch of goatness from 2-2 to 5-2 in the second (winning 12 of 14 points) was as pleasant as the following choke was expected. All in all, an easy match allowing PCB to face the mighty Gioco fresh and ready to fight. Novack will surely want some revenge so it should be a good spectacle, even if there is little doubt as to the eventual winner.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I don't like to bring people down, but Altmaier's future is in the challengers. He played good for 20 minutes in 2nd set.

PCB with some illness problems and still four times better than the young German.

Flashy backhand, erratic forehand, no gameplan and a bit annoying on-court behaviour is what I will remember from him, but kudos for reaching the R4, should be the highlight of his career.

Now a rematch against Defaultovic, should be fun if PCB gets back to 100% health.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
These last two slams are going to do wonders for Carreno Busta's confidence. He seems to have a good balance right now of defence and attack. There's no doubt he will keep putting himself in more of these second week positions. He's not the worst player in the world to watch, either. I quite like him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like this aggressive mindset of PCB. Maybe he can develop his game even further in this direction even when feeling well. Should be a fun match against Djokovic.

Altmaier way too green for this kind of level. He did have one amazing patch in the second set but he was dreadful for the rest of the match, sometimes hitting serves out by wide margins or having his balls not even hit the net. We‘ll see how he can learn from this experience.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quite a crappy match overall. PCB was excellent in first set. Good attack and defence combo from PCB. QF should be a cracker

·
Registered
22,243 Posts

·
Registered
19,602 Posts
PCB as solid or even more than at USO, with his forehand on fire.

Altmaier is as dreadful as a qualifier can get at this stage, his is an extremely weak Wawrinka-light at this stage of his career. Stan has a much better FH though.

·
23,941 Posts
I saw him for the first time and I saw nothing which would justify your opinion :)
As much as I could see what you mean, the guy's 22, plus there are many other matches that you can reference him -- even surprise runs, can still surprise later.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Gotta hand it to Carreno Busta for the tactical adjustment midway through the match to shorten the points. Altmaier should have taken the second set. Fantastic to watch but has obvious weaknesses that Djokovic would probably have been able to exploit even more. Looking forward to the rematch with PCB, maybe they can get that lineswoman in there again somehow...

·
Registered
22,243 Posts
I saw him for the first time and I saw nothing which would justify your opinion :)
That explains it, one match and you think you know the guy? There is a reason why he straight setted Struff and Berrettini. He's only 22 and already overcame a lot of injury struggles that kept him from breaking through even sooner, he's here to stay

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
As you didn't see his previous matches, perhaps just don't offer us your opinion?
Is it forbidden to have an opinion after watching one full match and knowing guy's past results ? If you show me this point in forum rules - I will not offer my opinion to you anymore.

·
Registered
19,602 Posts
Maybe that's the problem.
Judging a player's future career for one performance is ridiculous.
Well...this is MTF though...it's driven by overreaction after overreaction be it on the positive note or on the negative one
Tbf there have been lots of opinions in GM which proved to be valid or at least "about right" even years after they were made.
Not suggesting that this one is such, however there is some truth in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts