Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nicely composed performance, outclassing Bonzi without too much effort. QF is entirely possible with Zed in pushbot mode. Could be a run like Rublev's 2017 USO, only with a quicker breakthrough hopefully, health permitting.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
now, let's be realistic here...Zed would be too much even for this Sinner

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Very nice from Jannik, powerful hitting from both sides. I got some Soderling vibes, not gonna lie. After Zverev's shitshow today, I'm kinda hoping Sinner reaches the QF from this quarter instead. His game is so satisfying to watch, especially that inside out backhand (yes you read that right).

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Sinner looked slightly gassed to me towards the end, but he pushed himself to close it out without too much trouble. Yet, I find it hard to trust his long term endurance at this point.

I'd never seen Bonzi. Interesting case. He has all the right ideas and no execution whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I quite liked what I saw in this match from Jannik. Tbh I was expecting him to be even more impressive against this Bonzi guy, but this level was enough for him today and that is what matters. I really like his game and the way he seems to be developing in all aspects all the time. His game on clay also looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of this short 'clay season'.

Sinner looked slightly gassed to me towards the end, but he pushed himself to close it out without too much trouble. Yet, I find it hard to trust his long term endurance at this point.
He clearly still needs to work a lot on his physique and stamina, but as I see it that's no wonder for anyone of his age.

Once the match was over Jannik went to the umpire explaining he had problems with something when serving and/or hitting the ball. Most likely it was something related to the balls. He was repeating the words "next time it happens", so it was clearly something he wanted the umpire to be aware of if it happens to him or some other player again. At least that's what I was able to figure out from the bits I could hear.
- Did anyone catch more clearly what he actually said to the umpire?

·
Registered
59,910 Posts
Coria is awful, so he should be able to get away with it for now. He can't lose more games than today in that encounter.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I quite liked what I saw in this match from Jannik. Tbh I was expecting him to be even more impressive against this Bonzi guy, but this level was enough for him today and that is what matters. I really like his game and the way he seems to be developing in all aspects all the time. His game on clay also looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of this short 'clay season'.

He clearly still needs to work a lot on his physique and stamina, but as I see it that's no wonder for anyone of his age.

Once the match was over Jannik went to the umpire explaining he had problems with something when serving and/or hitting the ball. Most likely it was something related to the balls. He was repeating the words "next time it happens", so it was clearly something he wanted the umpire to be aware of if it happens to him or some other player again. At least that's what I was able to figure out from the bits I could hear.
- Did anyone catch more clearly what he actually said to the umpire?
Yeah, I saw him talk to the empire with the corner of my eye but wasn't really watching at that point. So I have no idea what he was complaining about. Hopefully, you're right. If his visible discomfort was caused by something specific that won't happen again, that's good news. There's no reason for running out of breath so early in the tournament, even if he's not at the top of his physical form yet.
Coria is awful, so he should be able to get away with it for now. He can't lose more games than today in that encounter.
Yeah, he should try to save energy as much as possible.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In my opinion Bonzi played well for a player with his ranking. Needs to cut UE and be more reliable of his serve.
Sinner was not in his best while serving, but he did play very well the returning games.
I think his backhand is so nice.

He may defeat Zverev. But I think Zverev will bring his best in later rounds, if he gets there.
Well, both players needs to get there first, so we gonna see.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Like the commies remarked, ‘fearless’, esp. for someone his age & look out when he gets his fitness & stamina in order. Nothing too flashy or arrogant like Tsitsi or whiny & petulant like Zverev, just pure unadulterated ball striking. No matter how far he goes here, the kid has earned my respect.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah, I saw him talk to the empire with the corner of my eye but wasn't really watching at that point. So I have no idea what he was complaining about. Hopefully, you're right. If his visible discomfort was caused by something specific that won't happen again, that's good news. There's no reason for running out of breath so early in the tournament, even if he's not at the top of his physical form yet.
That would be good news indeed, I agree, yet the balls and conditions are the same for everyone, so that's why I was so eager to know what such problems he had that others have not (?) been experiencing. Naturally it can be something specific that happened to him in this particular match repeatedly, but if he's got some problems with the balls/conditions in general at RG, that doesn't sound too promising.

If he's just having fitness and stamina issues (like he's had earlier on this season), those are the things he should be concentrating on with his physical trainer. I know it's hard for someone his age to do that though, as there're so many things you feel are important for you to improve in order to keep getting better results all the time. Sometimes it may even be best for you, in the long run, to stop expecting better results all the time, and just concentrate on improving your physique for a while instead. Results should follow automatically later on, but not at once (which seems to be the problem for many young players).

To me he clearly needs to work on those departments, but I trust he's got the right people around him who are aware of that as well, and are not just expecting him to reach top 20 asap, never mind the physique & stamina. We surely can't be the ones here at MTF who know better ;).

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Reactions: Sara X and csillag
1 - 12 of 12 Posts