Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wowee, Staminal looking like he's back even if it's only mug opponents thus far. Imperious stuff outside of the habitual dip in the third set. Tasty trademark godhands and solid botting, complete with exquisite forehand dropshots. Disgusting that Stan and Tim are set to meet so early, French orgs doing everything to ensure a Djokodal final.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was only able to catch the 4th set so I don't know the full story of the match, but Koepfer has been in great form and if he produced anything close to the level he did against Novak in Rome then this is a great win for Stan.

Rafa, Thiem and Djokovic are still by far the most likely winners of this event but Wawrinka is now my "dark horse" pick after this match and his domination of Murray. Conditions suit him more this year; the extra slow clay doesn't bother him as much as others because Stan can generate pace easier than almost every other player, and the lower bounce will help him if he faces Nadal. Plus, he loves flying under the radar and he most certainly is that right now having been away from the sport and dropping in the rankings.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
Very good performance by Wawrinka. His BH was shaky at times, but the FH was immaculate for most of the match. These conditions are ideal for his game.

It is a shame for Koepfer that he had Stan in the second round. He has been good this clay season and would have gone slightly deeper with an easier draw.

·
justice for all
15,281 Posts
Brutal hitting from Stan and good consistency apart from set 3. He just overpowered Koepfer with his strength.
These conditions seem to perfectly suit him.
He's not in the Stanimal mode just yet but it's possible we shall witness the return of that beast one more time.
Well done, Stan. Keep that up.
I know he's on the collision course with Dominic in R4 but I just can't root against Stan and will never root against him except when he plays Domi.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Routine stuff. Good to see he's not wasting time in this early rounds. He will need to be at 100% for Thiem.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Conditions suit Wawrinka much better than Thiem, draw sucks.

Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Wawrinka - Thiem might be this year’s Tsitsipasrinka. Looking forward to it

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some beautifully constructed points and clean winners from both wings. A bit shaky on the backhand side, but glimpses of Stanimal could already be spotted. One can only hope.

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stan was destroying the shit out of the ball in the first 2 sets . He was on top form. Really hoping he can go all the way. I think he can if he plays like that

·
23,538 Posts
Koepfer I thought played like a Top 30-50 player and really was gutsy. Stan was hitting so well in the 1st and 2nd Sets especially in the FH. The way he controlled the baseline was great and also had some good drop points (even if some are iffy). 3rd Set and 4th Set was like this:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I really hope Stan makes the QF, he would be far easier for Sascha than Thiem or Schwartzman.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I really hope Stan makes the QF, he would be far easier for Sascha than Thiem or Schwartzman.
They haven't played on clay yet and Stan was already spectacular for the first two sets today. First, let's see if Zverev can even make it through to the semis here for the first time ever, before stating that Stan would be a "far easier" opponent for him (which in itself is also quite dubious at this point).

·
Registered
9,263 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Stan checking out after brutalizing his opponent for more than half a match at this point might be more certain than death and taxes.
My disgust over having him and Thiem in the same section can't be described by words.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Great hitting from Wawrinka and it's not like Koepfer wasn't trying hard, it was just different levels in this one. I think even having some crowd in the stands gives Stan energy, so looking forward to what he can do in the tougher matches ahead.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They haven't played on clay yet and Stan was already spectacular for the first two sets today. First, let's see if Zverev can even make it through to the semis here for the first time ever, before stating that Stan would be a "far easier" opponent for him (which in itself is also quite dubious at this point).
Stan is clueless against Sascha. Remember when Wawrinka won the US Open and then lost to baby Sascha in the St. Petersburg final a few weeks later? Saschas big serve and deep groundstrokes are too much for Wawrinka. Stan is only good against players with low pace on the their shots.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Stan is clueless against Sascha. Remember when Wawrinka won the US Open and then lost to baby Sascha in the St. Petersburg final a few weeks later? Saschas big serve and deep groundstrokes are too much for Wawrinka. Stan is only good against players with below average pace on the their shots.
I would say that Alexander Zverev normally beats Stanislas Wawrinka by just getting balls back and hitting some powerful serves (we know that Stanislas Wawrinka's return is terrible), not really much to do with deep groundstrokes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts