Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Bill Barclay

NEW YORK, Sept 9 (Reuters) - To everyone but his opponents, Roger Federer is one of the nicest guys in sport.

Asked if he thought his U.S. Open semi-final opponent Lleyton Hewitt, whom he has beaten eight times in a row, ought to try some new tactics in Saturday's showdown, Federer gave a startling response.

"He could, you know," the Swiss said with a wicked grin. "But then again, he could run into the knife even more brutally."

Federer followed that with an ever-so-slightly demonic chuckle before restoring usual service with a diplomatic follow-up.

"He knows he's not far away. I know if I'm not on top of my game, I'm losing to Lleyton, and he knows that. I expect a tough match."

That will not be the bit his Australian opponent remembers, however.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Comedy. Actually, the post-match interview from last night was one of Roger's best and most candid.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
"wicked grin," "demonic chuckle" somebody is quite creative with their adjectives. if you read the whole interview it was actually one of roger's best yet, very honest and insightful.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
lol, when i read that, i was like, its about damn time we start hearing things like that from roger, now prove it mate

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Actually, the post-match interview from last night was one of Roger's best and most candid.
I agree- I really enjoyed when he talked about how his loss to Horna at RG was one of the most important in his career.

Really good interview.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I too agree with Clara. Roge speaks good spoken English, but is obviously not comfortable with idioms and such things. Did anyone see the way he says these things? They are not with "demonic grins" or "wicked chuckles"

But I can understand, they really need some bad blood to thicken the plot and get fans on opposite sides to be mad, so Bill Barclay has to resort to such things

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
R.Federer said:
I too agree with Clara. Roge speaks good spoken English, but is obviously not comfortable with idioms and such things. Did anyone see the way he says these things? They are not with "demonic grins" or "wicked chuckles"

But I can understand, they really need some bad blood to thicken the plot and get fans on opposite sides to be mad, so Bill Barclay has to resort to such things
its the art of jourlisam

·
Registered
135 Posts
"He could, you know," the Swiss said with a wicked grin. "But then again, he could run into the knife even more brutally."

Classic stuff :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article. Cocky arrogant bastard! ;)

It's ok if Federer says it, but our dear sweet Lleyton couldn't pull that off without a lot of backlash.

C'mon Lleyton!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The snippet you give is shows nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know if you are implying that what Federer said was arrogant.....because it doesn't sound that way to me. Especially what he says at the end is giving credit to Hewitt and saying it will be a tough match.

"He knows he's not far away. I know if I'm not on top of my game, I'm losing to Lleyton, and he knows that. I expect a tough match."

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
R.Federer said:

It sounds like a bull fighting metaphor to say he may run into the knife more brutally.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
queen alexandria said:
Yeah, I saw that article. Cocky arrogant bastard! ;)

It's ok if Federer says it, but our dear sweet Lleyton couldn't pull that off without a lot of backlash.

C'mon Lleyton!
Hewitt gets backlash over everything and that's unfair. But I still want Roger to win of course! I expect it to be a tough match.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
It is funny how reporters embellish words to get a more sensational effect. I saw that interview and it was simply Fed's attempt at humor. What he said was true though. Both of them probably know each other's game very well (having met 18 times now) and Fed's guess is that Hewitt is not going to change his game drastically to defeat Fed just like Fed is not going to change his. It would be suicide for Hewitt to try new things too many times in a semi-final.

I do agree with Hewitt fans though that had Hewitt said those words, it would have been blown out of proportion quite quickly.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
CNNI sports showed that clip this morning...it was funny!! The press corps was laughing at the comment and Roger DID have a wicked grin... it wasn't said in a mean spirited way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think Rog would actually cherish a proper challenge from Hewitt. I f your going to win this competition its good to feel that you have overcome bloody tough obstacles to do it. I honestly think he will get bored and drop down a level if someone doesn't face up properly to him soon.

·
Registered
799 Posts
That wasn't arrogant. Federer is just really confident and respected so he will say that without backlash.. It is perfectly understandable. I'll be cheering my heart out for Hewitt, hopefully to SOME avail.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts