Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this in men's or women's tennis? I know that one year Margaret Court won the Australian Open 5-7, 6-4, 5-2 against Maria Bueno.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Christophe Rochus did it against Stefan Koubek.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd have to be pretty classless to do that. Or else extremely unfortunate to be unable to play a final point (e.g. heavy fall).
Couldn't agree more. Ever since reading about that, I've thought kind of less of Bueno.

Also, to retire on match point, even if, as you said, something severly drastic happebed, I'm sure you could still just stand there and be aced, or throw in a lame serve.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just classless.

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
I haven't seen anything on match point, a lot where the winning players are like "5-[low number]" in the final set and the opponent has just bailed. I watched Klec vs Lacko in qualifying [Aus Open 08], Klec brainfarted a bit during the match but towards the end he was having all sorts or problems with his body. Cramping, lying on court etc. He sucked it up enough to have Lacko hit a couple of easy [WTA 2nd serve :p] serves past him to close out the match properly.

I think it's lame to not allow your opponent to close it out, if you can stand up, just stand there. It's so disappointing when your own player does it :rolleyes: [I don't know the circumstances so I want to leave that minor hope that it was something awful and he just had to give in:sad::tape:]

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
If I remember correctly JMDP retired when his opponent was about to serve for the match. Pretty lame if you ask me.
Delpo has a habit of throwing in the towel when things go against him. I remember when Karlovic broke him to serve for the match in Notts last year...Delpo wouldn't sit down at the final change of ends, instead choosing to sit on a small electricity box at the back of the court with a sulky expression plastered over his face. :baby:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Ever since reading about that, I've thought kind of less of Bueno.

Also, to retire on match point, even if, as you said, something severly drastic happebed, I'm sure you could still just stand there and be aced, or throw in a lame serve.
I recall that several years ago during an early round AO, Andreev, dazed and too exhausted to lift his racquet, just dragging himself from the deuce court to the ad court while Hrbaty served some puff aces to take a fifth set...The poor guy had no reason to finish it out, just guts.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
Dick Norman retired against Sergei Bubka because he was upset with the umpire. Shrewbury Challenger I think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The most amazing and unbelievable moment in the history of tennis was when Krajicek retired against Rosset when leading 4-6,7-5,5-2 and having a matchpoint. The reason was that he injured himself before matchpoint and decided to end the match because he would have been unable to compete the next day! What a fair play act !

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I recall that several years ago during an early round AO, Andreev, dazed and too exhausted to lift his racquet, just dragging himself from the deuce court to the ad court while Hrbaty served some puff aces to take a fifth set...The poor guy had no reason to finish it out, just guts.
One of the stupid heat rules that matches on outside court had to finish even the temperature was killing everybody.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Thomas Fabbiano against Fernando Vicente a few weeks ago. I think he was losing 6-2 4-6 4-5* and Vicente serving with MP.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Imagine if Nadal would have match point in RG final vs Federer and retires due to butt cramp? Would Fed gladly take the title with no *?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
The most amazing and unbelievable moment in the history of tennis was when Krajicek retired against Rosset when leading 4-6,7-5,5-2 and having a matchpoint. The reason was that he injured himself before matchpoint and decided to end the match because he would have been unable to compete the next day! What a fair play act !
Really, that's pretty fair from Krajicek

1 - 20 of 30 Posts