Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I mean that Radu's average level is Challenger level, but he sometimes goes on a hot streak. These streaks make him ranked higher than most of his matches would suggest. He obviously can play very well, but he doesn't reach that level very often.
He's not amazing but he was clearly above challenger level for a prolonged period of time.

·
MONSOON season.
81,982 Posts
that's not what a fluke is.

As long as he earned his run on his own merit, all is fine.

He was 35-26 at ATP level last year. Not a hot streak.
He hit a hot streak in February/March, after that he only collected a win here and there, with the exception of Los Cabos. Plus he barely beat any noteworthy players and lucked out with many of his draws (including in Los Cabos). The results after March are those to be expected for an upper-tier Challenger player.

IMO Albot overachieved. That streak was completely unexpected and it never made Albot "a thing" as per the thread title.

·
MONSOON season.
81,982 Posts
He's not amazing but he was clearly above challenger level for a prolonged period of time.
If by prolonged period you mean two months, then yes.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

·
Registered
68,203 Posts
yeah 2019 but..not anymore. his eyes though.

·
Registered
68,203 Posts
He still better than Herbert! But Herbert is pathetic player and always was.

Good win although as it's Top 100 win still!
herbert is an amazing doubles player ...

·
Registered
525 Posts
He's the only Moldovan player that seems regular in the ATP that I know so there's that..and of course can't forget him r/Tennis' "boy".
There are only two Moldovans on earth that have a ranking and he's top 100. And for that, he's a legend. 😎

·
Registered
525 Posts
Loses to Oscar Otte in QR1 at Cologne-2.

Strangely enough he beat Otte last week at Cologne-1 in the main draw.

🤷‍♂️

·
23,494 Posts
Loses to Oscar Otte in QR1 at Cologne-2.

Strangely enough he beat Otte last week at Cologne-1 in the main draw.

🤷‍♂️
Was Otte an LL, because of not, then it's just the case I guess finding the right momentum in a close matchup, some matches can feel like a winner is already determined early one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Was Otte an LL, because of not, then it's just the case I guess finding the right momentum in a close matchup, some matches can feel like a winner is already determined early one.
Otte destroyed Kopfer and then beat Polmans in three in qualifying at Koln week 1 than beat Struff week 1, Albot beat Herbert so it was a round 2 main draw match up.

This week it was a QR1.

Funny old sport isn't it

·
Registered
16,774 Posts
He's the only Moldovan player that seems regular in the ATP that I know so there's that..and of course can't forget him r/Tennis' "boy".
Do you know how small Moldova as a country is? Romania has 19.3 million and Moldova only 2.6 million people, for sure Romanians should have more top players with that size than the tiny Moldova. They should be lucky to even have those 2 top players at the top 800 (Albot + Cozbinov).

I really well remember Albot, he even played a competitive match vs Kyrgios at the 2018 USO, next year he beat him at Delray Beach.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do you know how small Moldova as a country is? Romania has 19.3 million and Moldova only 2.6 million people, for sure Romanians should have more top players with that size than the tiny Moldova. They should be lucky to even have those 2 top players at the top 800 (Albot + Cozbinov).

I really well remember Albot, he even played a competitive match vs Kyrgios at the 2018 USO, next year he beat him at Delray Beach.
I said that in admiration; 🤷‍♂️ that he's a Moldovan that has been ranked in the top 100. 😎

21 - 37 of 37 Posts