Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is no doubt that Federer is crowd favorite. But in past few years, even at Wimbledon, we have seen how biased the crowd becomes whenever he is down (be it against Raonic/Djokovic/Cilic). Yesterday, Crowd was pro-Fed but not exactly loud pro-Fed which we have seen in past. In fact, when Anderson won the set points, there was a loud celebration. Feels like crowd failed to lift him up this time. I am sure if they would have started cheering UEs/faults/DFs by Anderson, he would have crumbled in 5th. But it never happened.

I wonder how much of it is related to court 1. Maybe, CC has costly tickets and thus, rich people. Federer is heavily favored among rich classes.

Requesting your inputs on this.

Listen to the cheers when Anderson wins the set.

[ame]https://youtu.be/nnoRDEY-Q84?t=209[/ame]

·
Registered
413 Posts
The football match afterwards probably meant that tennis purists were more than the casual fans in the crowd. And casual fans are mostly crazy for Federer. Purists not so much.

Also how are tickets sold? I mean was it that people bought tickets to center court expecting roger to be there and then he was scheduled on Court 1 or are the tickets booked after the schedule? If the former is the case, then Federer fans were stranded on CC watching Djokovic and Nadal.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,636 Posts
I did hear quite a few cheers of "come on Kevin!". Mainly in the fifth set. I think spectators were just enthralled by what was happening out there.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Fascinatating observation!

I mean it, I've often wondered how much the aggressively pro-Fed crowds affect outcome. We know Djok beat Fed twice at Wimb and once USO with huge crowd rooting against Djok, but that was Djok, it has to affect different players in different ways. I think your speculation about how Anderson might have re-acted to more jeering is valid. But in general Wimb crowds don't jeer as much as others ...

But I did notice what you describe, the crowd was not giving And the same hard time they give anyone who is threatening to beat Fed.

Maybe their minds were on the football? Maybe they feel an affinity for And for some reason?

The idea that the crowd was less pro-Fed on Court 1, due to class/wealth differences, couldn't say, but for sure Fed is the fav of the wealthy. FED/Money/Wimb/ Rolex mesh perfectly.

Interesting post.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is like an insurance policy for Federer when he goes down against mentally suspect players. Check his 5 set records. Mental giants (Djoko, Nadal) were mostly unfluttered by it but he has so many wins against players like Monfils and Cilic and so on. Otherwise, no matter how good a player Roger is, he is a really bad competitor. He gets under pressure real fast and isn't able to raise his game that much. Crowd support is the only thing that he feeds on in key stages.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Some real gems from unbiased MTF analysts on their field day already. :lol:

First of all, there's about 30% fewer seats and fewer viewers.
Second of all, the acoustics is different. The roof on the CC amplifies the noise.
And most importantly, the crowd gave KAndy the credit he deserved. It started very pro-Federer, and as the match progressed and Anderson's level improved, he gained more and more support from the stands. And rightfully so.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The football match afterwards probably meant that tennis purists were more than the casual fans in the crowd. And casual fans are mostly crazy for Federer. Purists not so much.

Also how are tickets sold? I mean was it that people bought tickets to center court expecting roger to be there and then he was scheduled on Court 1 or are the tickets booked after the schedule? If the former is the case, then Federer fans were stranded on CC watching Djokovic and Nadal.
I think the tickets were sold before the OOP (order of play) is out.

Anyone knows the bulk part of a CC ticket? And C1?

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I don't know about that. I was at work listening to Wimbledon radio and I could tell who won the point just by listening to the crowd reaction. And I vividly remember hearing clapping after Anderson DF'd.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It is like an insurance policy for Federer when he goes down against mentally suspect players. Check his 5 set records. Mental giants (Djoko, Nadal) were mostly unfluttered by it but he has so many wins against players like Monfils and Cilic and so on. Otherwise, no matter how good a player Roger is, he is a really bad competitor. He gets under pressure real fast and isn't able to raise his game that much. Crowd support is the only thing that he feeds on in key stages.
This is the credited response. When Nadal went down 2 sets to 1 I would have been my left nut that he would come back and win in 5. By the start of the 4th set in the Anderson match I would have bet my right nut that Federer would fold like a cheap deck of cards.

·
justice for all
13,158 Posts
The crowd was objective and supported equally both players for their great effort, they left everything out there so they got what they deserved. /thread

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
They did applaud loud when Kev won the 3rd because they genuinely believed he had no chance to win the match anyway, they were cheering for him at the end of the 3rd probably with a bit of condescending. If they knew what was next to come, they would have felt upset at this moment of the match.

In the 5th, well it was different, since at some point it looked clear that Rog was getting tired, and part of the crowd slowly started to accept the outcome. It's like when you have a big bet on a match, follow the match live and start accepting that you will lose, it is a different feeling than when you don't watch the match, then check the livescore and find out that you lost. The disappointment is more brutal. If the crowd knew at the end of the 3rd that Kev would win the match, the surprise and disappointment would have been brutal for 90% of the stadium.

The camera did catch a woman crying when Rog was broken, not sure how some can get so emotionally involved into a player.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
The crowd was objective and supported equally both players for their great effort, they left everything out there so they got what they deserved. /thread

Lol. A great example of how when some people use the word 'objective' they mean just the opposite.

The crowd support wasn't even close to 50-50 but for a Federer fan anything other than 100% for Roger appears to be 'equal support'

·
justice for all
13,158 Posts
Lol. A great example of how when some people use the word 'objective' they mean just the opposite.

The crowd support wasn't even close to 50-50 but for a Federer fan anything other than 100% for Roger appears to be 'equal support'
And tell me how did you measure it? Great example of objectivism - your post was 100% subjective.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
And tell me how did you measure it? Great example of objectivism - your post was 100% subjective.

There's no question that there was far more crowd support for Federer which also included, as some noted already, clapping for Anderson's double faults at times.

It's also measured by the noise the crowd makes for good shots by Federer vs those by Anderson.

The fact that you are actually trying to gloss over this and say it was 50-50 speaks volumes as to your idea of objectivity.

Again I realize that for you as a Federer fan, even a little bit of recognition for the other player explodes in your addled mind to 50% of the crowd so one can only imagine your 'objectivity' with serious rivals like Djokovic and Nadal.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some real gems from unbiased MTF analysts on their field day already. :lol:

First of all, there's about 30% fewer seats and fewer viewers.
Second of all, the acoustics is different. The roof on the CC amplifies the noise.
And most importantly, the crowed gave KAndy the credit he deserved. It started very pro-Federer, and as the match progressed and Anderson's level improved, he gained more and more support from the stands. And rightfully so.
I am talking about the relative noise between support for Federer and Fed's opponent irrespective of whether it's CC or C1. In past, for Federer, it would go quiet for points won by Fed's opponents and exuberant for him when he used to win points (when chips were down for him) . Yesterday, I was waiting at 0-30s and 0-15s in 5th set for crowd to annoy Anderson with extreme cheering (like they have done in past) but that just didn't happen.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I am talking about the relative noise between support for Federer and Fed's opponent irrespective of whether it's CC or C1. In past, for Federer, it would go quiet for points won by Fed's opponents and exuberant for him when he used to win points (when chips were down for him) . Yesterday, I was waiting at 0-30s and 0-15s in 5th set for crowd to annoy Anderson with extreme cheering (like they have done in past) but that just didn't happen.
It sure did. Perhaps it was less apparent due to the reasons I mentioned. I watched no commentary stream with very strong ambient sound. The crowd went bananas on each point Fed won in the 5th. But they also cheered for Anderson, which honestly was pretty nice to see.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Eventually the public will grow tired of Federer, it's hard to believe but that time is coming and it's inevitable.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Obviously what matters is not only the love for Federer but the dislike for others.

If his opponents are clear "underdogs" then they get better treated than "rivals" or dare I say "villains"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts