Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
In all honesty: they both suck.

The sheer idea of creating two similar nations' competitions treated by top players as exhibitions and both in the off season is bizarre.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In all honesty: they both suck.

The sheer idea of creating two similar nations' competitions treated by top players as exhibitions and both in the off season is bizarre.
I know you think they are not Top players but Nadal and Djokovic are playing with a lot of focuse....

From what I watch and to take players you probably like way more Shapovalov and De Minaur played well too such like Khachanov and Rublev....

Tsitsipas and Thiem are not there just because their team were not able to qualify.....

Only Zverev prefered Exhos with Federer probably because joining Federer Team lately.

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
I know you think they are not Top players but Nadal and Djokovic are playing with a lot of focuse....

From what I watch and to take players you probably like way more Shapovalov and De Minaur played well too such like Khachanov and Rublev....

Tsitsipas and Thiem are not there just because their team were not able to qualify.....

Only Zverev prefered Exhos with Federer probably because joining Federer Team lately.
Of course Nadalovic are top players. If they are dedicated - fair play to them. I didn't even watch this DC. It sort of feels like not many people care, even here the interest is quite low. Also nobody streams in on TV here. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I never liked those national contests in tennis. This is an individual sport after all.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
As Djokovic and Nadal declared, there should be only one solution for the future, is to unify the ATP Cup and the Davis Cup, this is obviously non sense to have 2 team competitions within 6 weeks. Hopefully, good sense will win in the discussions between ATP and ITF next year, and one great team event could be created for a period of 10 -12 days.
A good date in the calendar should be found. Many think that the 2 weeks following the US Open is a good one, as there is already one week planned for the Davis Cup, but there is now the Laver Cup the week after...which is the problem to put this event at this date. I still believe that a new Davis Cup/World Cup event starting the Wednesday or Thursday after the US Open, during 10/12 days should be ideal and move this shit Laver Cup to another date...but as long as Federer will play, it won't happen...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Davis Cup & ATP Cup >>>>> Opelka

Reactions: csillag

·
Registered
137 Posts
Q. There's been some players suggesting that we could combine the ATP Cup and the Davis Cup because they are so close in the calendar. Your thoughts on that? What improvements would you suggest going forward? What do you think is the best time in the calendar to fix the Davis Cup?
REILLY OPELKA: Well, the ATP Cup is pathetic. I think it's shocking on behalf of the ATP for them to pass that and allow that. It's pretty embarrassing, actually. It's pretty bad for the sport. It makes it more top-heavy than it already is. For example, I'm 35 in the world. I'm not going to play because I'm the second- or third-highest ranked American, and only the top two guys play.

It counts as an additional 19th tournament. So every player gets 18 tournaments on their ranking card. So you have to take your top 18 results, those go for your ranking. Those that play ATP Cup get a 19th. So it's unfair, there's not equal opportunity for everyone.

For example, Moldova qualified. Moldova qualified. I mean, their No. 1 player is ranked pretty far behind me and their No. 2 player I don't think he's ranked. So that's going to make for, you know, an 0-0 match that's going to be 30 minutes maybe. That's not good for the sport either.
source

As of this week, Opelka is ranked 36 and Albot 46. I agree that it's highly questionable to award points for an event where your ability to earn them or to even play depends on your teammates (and this affects Albot as well because with the rest of his team being relatively weak, he is unlikely to progress beyond round robin, so he won't get a chance to earn as many points as players in stronger teams). But to single out Albot/Moldova as somehow benefitting unfairly at the expense of someone like Opelka is just as pathetic. How many wild cards did Albot get in his career, and how many did Opelka get? (For reference, Opelka's career-high junior ranking is 4 and Albot's is 11, so not a huge difference there.)

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Nothing is more pathetic than Opelka's tennis.
Who cares about who is saying this, even if my biggest enemy is right I will agree with him.

Old Davis Cup and Hopman Cup needs to be back. I don't buy at all those two new ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Opelka is only complaining that players participating in ATP Cup will have their ranking based on top 19 best results and those who are not have their ranking based on their top 18 best results

It is obviously biaised and unfair, and it is very likely ATP will change this rule

As usual, sports federation & organizers come up with new rules, without thinking of all the impacts, proving they are not very smart people..

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
He's correct it's unfair for ranking, but honestly Pique Cup is like an exho version if the ATP Cup. Pretty much the same rules, but one gives (lots of) points and one doesn't.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
If you can give points you can get away with less prize money and the opposite.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have no doubt that the inaugural ATP Cup will be much more successful than this Davis Cup Finals with its poor attendance, crappy broadcasting rights and poor scheduling. Tennis Australia know how to run a tournament in a way that apparently Kosmos and Pique do not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts