Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Finland it's really hard to keep in touch with what happens in tennis. Of course you got the Internet (and MTF!), but for me tennis is really about watching it, and watching it LIVE. Unfortunately, Jarkko's success has not lead to much more tv coverage of tennis in Finnish channels.

That is why I missed, for instance, the great finish to the season by David and Roger. I'm so glad about the result, though. I have so much respect and admiration for Roger's amazing talent, but it's really good for tennis that even he loses once in a while.

I totally agree with some other fans that the real highlights of the 2005 season were those (few) matches when Roger actually lost: Safin in AO, Nadal in RG and, presumably, Nalbandian in TMC. Great tennis, great accomplishments.

For a Finn, the season was the best since 2003, when Jarkko made his breakthrough. In 2005 Nieminen made a great comeback to the tennis elite, having to work hard in the spring on clay and playing a lot of quallies to get back to the top 100. Then he was ready to pick up the reward of all the hard work when Marat had to pull out of US Open. What a fantastic tournament for Jarkko, and he came so close to reaching even the semis!

After the USO, the expectations maybe grew too big for Jarkko, as he himself probably expected to finally win his first ATP title. He came really close in Tokyo and should have won in Stockholm if not for the injury. But overall, it was really promising to see Jarkko play so well, and he should do well in Australia in January.

There are a lot of good things to wait for in 2006. The return of Marat is for me the biggest promise. I think he is the only one who could bring the best out of Roger.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
I think not only Safin, but also Nalbandian. I believe he had a breakthrough moment. I believe so did Jarkko at US Open. I was happy to see Jarkko playing live for the first time in 2005 and maybe he'll come to Poland again (after he gets a forum on MTF). Greetings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts