Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Record Wimbledon temperature of 35,7°C measured this afternoon. No wonder Cilic was moving so badly in the last 2 sets.

AO conditions in London?

:lol:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
This is much worse than at AO, because players are ready for the heat there and they train in hot conditions. But in Europe, you can get 30+ temperatures, but the average temperature is around 20-25, especially in GB. Wonder what'll happen if that hot stays in the next week, even Fed looked sweaty 1 hour.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is much worse than at AO, because players are ready for the heat there and they train in hot conditions. But in Europe, you can get 30+ temperatures, but the average temperature is around 20-25, especially in GB. Wonder what'll happen if that hot stays in the next week, even Fed looked sweaty 1 hour.
And the humidity is very high now in London, making it much, much worse.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Record Wimbledon temperature of 35,7°C measured this afternoon. No wonder Cilic was moving so badly in the last 2 sets.

AO conditions in London?

:lol:
As someone who lives in London, it's absolutely baking here right now. 36 degrees Celsius according to BBC.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I can affirm this as a Londoner myself. Been keeping indoors today.
WTH? It doesn't get hot until temperatures reach 40ºC.

Anyways, to someone that compared this to Australia there are two big differences:

1 - Court speed. Points are way shorter in Wimbledon. Tomic, IIRC, had a 5set match in the first round that lasted minutes above 2 hours. In Australia any 5setter would last at least 3hours and a half.

2 - Court surface. Natural grass doesn't hold the heat as much as the asphalt/rubber/acrylic used in Australia nowadays. 35ºC degrees in AUSOpen means 45+ºC at players feet. It becomes an inversed sauna haha. That's why you don't see players calling MTO to check their feet and hands due to lacerations(not sure how to call it, is it "bubbles" in english too?) Natural Grass dissipates the heat much better.

Now, if it stays this hot in the 2nd week where courts get much slower and games get much more close then it'll be a problem.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
This UK people looks like pussies (no offense).

This temperature is the norm in Italy and many other countries, where things actually go up to 40°C. I had a job and would work by walking all day in these temperatures and get the job done.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
It's fine if you're used to it, but it's not been remotely this hot the last few weeks in Europe

Even the Aussie players were complaining about the heat today :)

·
6,751 Posts
This UK people looks like pussies (no offense).

This temperature is the norm in Italy and many other countries, where things actually go up to 40°C. I had a job and would work by walking all day in these temperatures and get the job done.
Exactly, I've experienced mid-40's Celsius on many occasions, 36C is above average hot, but not that hot.
Difference is they are playing tennis in the heat of the day, in the blazing sun, and on grass. (try mowing your lawn or doing some gardening in those conditions).
The AO plays a lot of matches at night, which helps a lot with radiant heat and sun intensity.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Of course No1e was contrary to any reson and sense scheduled to play first at 1pm durin the warmest part of the day. Not an accident.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It was 32c here in northern England when I went for walk earlier and I was dripping with sweat. 35 would be even worse and they need to run for hours on end.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Of course No1e was contrary to any reson and sense scheduled to play first at 1pm durin the warmest part of the day. Not an accident.
Get your head out of your ass. It's hot for every player. No matter if playing at 1, 3 or later. It doesn't really make any difference.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Remember that the "36" is measured in the shade, courtside temperature will be in the 40s!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts