Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You earned it Kiddo :yeah:..Not a small feat: it made names and lives out of lesser and obscure journeyman like Darcis, Rosol and Zeballos..

Beating the future (current :secret:) GOAT is the ultimate kids-on-your-laps story you live to tell.....

Now battling a cold, after a heavy training bloc, the achievement has finally sunk in, but Kyrgios keeps the fourth-round match on his ever-present mobile phone, and admits he has watched it over and over. “It was a really good two weeks and I'm just reflecting on it, you know, it's something that's not going to go away quickly at all.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-story-from-wimbledon-to-bundoora-20140725-zwz6o.html

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
reminds me of Bartoli who watches her Wimbledon final every 2 days by her own account :rolleyes: :facepalm: :help: :lol:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well Bartoli won the tournament, her first big tournament. Much bigger success than what this kid did. Maybe if Nadal won last 3 wimbledons and he beat him the win would have more weight.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Keeping his eye focused on the goal of winning sounds like good psychology to me!

And to get that far in Wimbledon off only 15 tour level matches so far...You'd have to be betting he will have something more to watch to keep up his spirits soon!

Interesting actually to compare his challenger career with some of the others at the top - how players get through that (hopefully transitional) stage could possibly be a better indication of potential than some other measures. Shows got to his pre-W pn with relatively few matches, and an excellent win/loss ratio.

So here is the career challenger win/loss of some selected players for comparison purposes.

Kyrgios 26/5

Big 4:
Djokovic 28/8
Nadal 34/10
Federer 16/7
Murray 22/12

Other active GS winners:
Hewitt 13/5
Wawrinka 54/18
Del Potro 41/22

Other top ten

Berdych 61/23
Ferrer 50/28

Young guns:

Raonic 11/16
Dmitrov 47/34
Nishikori 43/16
Jancowicz 78/52

The younger guns (but older than Kyrgios, who was born in 95):
Tomic (b92) 31/17
Sock(b92) 34/27
Vesely (b93) 46/19
Thiem (b93) 18/10

Youngest guns still moving to positive ratios:

Zverev (b97) 6/6
Coric (b96) 7/6
Kokkinakis b96) 9/9
Quinzi (b96) 8/18

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I know a few anti Rafa and haters who also watch that game everyday. Like and obcession...

I was a good win for Nick. Very important winvs a healthy Rafa but not so strong nowadays Rafa.
Cant wait for a rematch.

·
6,246 Posts
Not a bad idea for Kyrgios to watch this over and over again, to help boost confidence - even though he appears to have plenty for a teenager.
In the same way, Djoker should be watching his last 3 hard court victories over Nadal -especially Miami, over and over again heading into the North American hard court season.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Nick is a great player and there was nothing Nadal could do, no matter how much he tried.

But let's face it, my grandmother could beat Nadal on grass and she actually HAS knee problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Needs to move on to start actually thinking he will make matches like this several times in a single season. Or maybe he's just a narcissist.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Needs to move on to start actually thinking he will make matches like this several times in a single season. Or maybe he's just a narcissist.
Shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seing yourself winning a match (doing somehing in general) over and over Isn't normal. You don't make a tennis carrier off a single run, ask Tomic who was thinking in 2012 he Was going to get deepper than the previous year. I'm sure no other player or umpire does what's he's doing but coming form a guy who is always raising his arms glorifying himself on court for his own amusement doe not seems as a surprise.

And I'm not criticising him as a player in the slightest.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
First, not a single run but a consistent pattern of runs, of which this is his most impressive to date: perfectly normal to savour a big win like this one!

Moreover, look at his challenger stats above, and previous GS efforts - this guy is looking like one of the top players already, on the face of it way above most of the 'young guns' and other contenders in speed of getting there. Just a matter of playing enough matches for his ranking to reflect his real ability.

Thirdly, if you actually read the full article its about keeping motivated while training for the USO. I think he has his eyes firmly on where it needs to be. Pretty evident from a series of articles that the guy is finding the new attention on him fairly tough to deal with, fairly isolating. Training by himself in Melbourne can't be that easy either, away from family and most of his compatriots out of town on the challenger tour.

Give him a break.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mate I like the guy since his AUS run wich consisted of just two matches. look at the most recent thread about Estrella I just asked the main player in my country abuout Kyrgios play back there in February this year. I just took a line to tell the fact itself It's a bit odd. Ricardo told me to Shut up and I expanded my argument, but I'm a fan of Kyrgios. He's arrogant we already knew that.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Deary me, read the Estrella thread and you do seem to have a problem. There is a big difference between arrogance - making claims you can't back up - and self-assurance, where you can. Kyrgios hasn't said anything he can't back up, and since his win has consistently shown himself to be very well-grounded in the reality of what he still has to do. Give up and applaud him for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh my Dear. in your eyes i seem to have a problem cause I stated to dislike Estrella's game achivements I also dislike Nadal's game achievments as a lot of people here.

You are just getting out of context to attack me since the guy tell me to shut upñ.

I'm a fan of Kyrgios like you had followed him since earlier this year, followed his run in Har true before RG, and even saw read some interviews post wimbledon. I just said the fact he's reviving that match It's pretty weird in case he's really doing it and if that is true then maybe he's a narccisist.

What do you want me to do? Then the both of you just tell him to stop showing signs of selfish/arrogant behaviour in/off court before attacking me for stating it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
This kid seems extremely arrogant to me he had ONE big moment and he is letting the media hype get to his head. Just remember Nick your countryman Bernard Tomic also reached one slam quarterfinal as well. Just because you have one big result does not mean this kid is suddenly going to become consistent.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Come off it, did that victory really hurt you that much!

1. Already is consistent - already has 5 GS match wins which is going well for someone who has only just entered the top 100; and impressive win/loss ratio (26/5) for challenger career. Yes, has yet to prove himself on the main tour, but every prospect of doing so.

2. Unlike Tomic he hasn't been partying after victory, but rather training hard. And while Tomic had a long history of tanking and bad behaviour on and off court well before his brief moment of success, Kyrgios doesn't (beyond the normal teenager minor blips - ha has made some comments about being all over the shop as a junior, but getting it under control: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-had-epic-wimbledon-run-but-is-focused-on-tennis-not-perks-of-instant-fame/story-fnii0pkt-1227001964974) and shows every sign of maturing fast. Kyrgios also has the advantage of what sounds like a strong family to support him.

3. Far from letting the hype go to his head, he has made it clear he will be glad to escape it. From the article quoted at the start of the thread:

Canberra tennis star Nick Kyrgios will be relieved to escape the popularity bubble of Australia to focus on his US Open campaign...It's a chance to regain some normality in his life and turn his attention to toppling the world's best players.

Just last week the world No.69 had more than 30 media requests and the constant attention has taken its toll in his three-week "break" back home.

"Nothing has changed with my friends or family, I'm just a normal kid," Kyrgios said.

"But everyone wants a piece of you when you come back. My whole family was talking about tennis when I got back, but I just told them I was tired and asked to talk about other things.

"I was under the pump and stressing out a bit. But hopefully that dies down next time I'm back.

"It's been pretty full on. I wouldn't say I've had any time to relax, it's been more intense than overseas.

"One positive side of going overseas is getting away from that, you play tournaments but outside of training and playing everything is different."
4. He has his Nadal victory firmly in perspective. From an interview a few days back:

“It’s been positive support. [People are] really happy for me, I've been told numerous times that I did them proud and all that sort of stuff, so it's good. But I've been brought down to earth just coming down here and getting back to the hard work.
“Your dream is to win Wimbledon, win a grand slam one day and become No.1 in the world, so I'm not even close at all, I made quarter-finals, and it's all good, it's just motivation to keep getting better. That's that way I've looked at it.''
It's worth reading the whole article: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-story-from-wimbledon-to-bundoora-20140725-zwz6o.html#ixzz38wE4MBo2

He's also made a sportsmanlike response to Nadal's comments on him (from Courier Mail article):

Rafael Nadal struck a note of caution after losing to Kyrgios suggesting it was sometimes easy for a carefree teenager to win, much harder to back it up. Some interpreted the Spaniard’s words as sour grapes. But from the mouth of a one who knows the potential pitfalls of early success better than most they provided priceless perspective.

“I think he was spot on with everything he said,’’ says Kyrgios. ‘’He said it was only one match and I’ve got a long way to go. I learned a lot from what he said definitely. I played one of the best matches of my life on grass, his worst surface, even if he’s won Wimbledon twice.’’
5. Personally I'm looking forward to watching him shake up the existing order of things, perhaps over the next few weeks, but most definitely over the next year or two...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts