Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 5 - One of the greatest moments in world history

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And that's a wrap on tennis for 2020. Freaking nightmare of a season but it hasn't all been a disaster. So how do you rate the finals?

For me a 4 for the following reasons:

Positives
  • The next gen (plus thiem) have shown again that they are the equal of the big 3 (in best of 3 sets) and tennis is in good hands when the big 3 retire
  • medvedev's demolition of djokovic. i didnt really think that was possible. I kept waiting for him to realise he was smashing a 5 times winner and have a hiccup but he was amazing
  • the thiem v nadal match was fantastic tennis. I thought nadal was outplaying him but thiem was more willing to go big in the tiebreaks and took his chance. nail biting stuff
  • thiem v tsitsipas. I really like the way tsitsipas hits his groundstrokes and it is always going to be a good match between those two. this was no different. Maybe tsitsipas is a bit low on confidence but he wasnt far off getting through
  • both med and thiem winning their semis when they could easily have buckled and not recovered. as it happened they both did buckle but someone how gutsed it out. fantastic results for them both to beat the world numbers 1 and 2. how amazing is that

Negatives
  • no offence to schwarzman but this showed very clearly (as if we werent aware) that he is not in this league. Always going to be at least 1 who is out of his depth. i'll give rublev a pass as he has won a bunch of tournaments this year and will develop additional elements to his game and compete in later years i expect
  • zverev. the way he is playing at the moment is hard to watch. big first serves and crushing groundstrokes but with collapsing 2nd serves and pushing groundstrokes lurking around the corner. I watched every match except his against dj as i'd had enough of waiting for him to collapse during every match.
  • final wasnt up to the level of most of med and thiems other matches but they had done the hard yards proving themselves beating dj and nadal so not the end of the world

Overall very happy with this tournament. As much as i like the big 3 and am in awe of their achievements i want to see younger players staking their claim and beating them in the big titles NOT winning once the big 3 are so old they can barely move around the court.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Some good bits, as the championship match was superb, also the semis were decent, while many RR matches were just dreadful, either the players tanking or just uninterested or not skillful enough (Rublev and Schwartzman for the most part) to compete at a higher level. So a not lesser part still poor, it could have been better, I give it a 3.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
some really great matches especially from Thiem i felt and of course congrats to Medvedev on going undefeated against the very best

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Some amazing tennis by 4 of the contestants, and the tournament finished strongly.

Two of the 8 played below par.

And two of the 8 were very poor.

So, all in all, 6/10 because there were too many crappy matches. But the good matches were very good, so no complaints.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Lotta tight matches but a lotta matches were pretty bad quality wise. Overall I’d give it a 3

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. Certainly quite a bit better than some of the more recent iterations, especially in the group stages, but not "fantastic". But I was more enthralled by it than usual, certainly - even though that may just have been desperation to see some tennis in these Covid times. A good farewell to London - apart from the lack of crowds, of course.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I think tennis and particularly a "selected" top tournament such as this misses a player of Federer caliber and style like real BADLY . That's if you want a "greatest moment in world history" (or sort of haha), with the right balance and one that could more appeal to everybody's eyes . The rally "botting" having been of great quality and all.... forward minded power tennis, was little found , just in patches (by Nadal sort of, which was a surprise, some of Thiem's new postioning on the court).

Other than that it was great, because it really felt truly a transition battle, unlike past WTFs. The legends vs the 2 best pósitioned heirs going at it, healthy, throwing everything at each other, trying some different stuff, adapting, truly hard fought. You really couldn't ask more (beside Fed rant) from modern tennis, and from this group . That was a display of the best tennis has to offer now . A peak at some perfected Baseline game if Imay . (disclaimer: hey , we are talking about just HC game here)

So I guess it's option 4 for me. I give it a 8 out of 10

·
Registered
450 Posts
really bad event only us open was worst than this, having NO fans just makes everything look like a training session so it was bad from the start, at least it had a good final.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think tennis and particularly a "selected" top tournament such as this misses a player of Federer caliber and style like real BADLY . That's if you want a "greatest moment in world history" (or sort of haha), with the right balance and one that could more appeal to everybody's eyes . The rally "botting" having been of great quality and all.... forward minded power tennis, was little found , just in patches (by Nadal sort of, which was a surprise, some of Thiem's new postioning on the court).

Other than that it was great, because it really felt truly a transition battle, unlike past WTFs. The legends vs the 2 best pósitioned heirs going at it, healthy, throwing everything at each other, trying some different stuff, adapting, truly hard fought. You really couldn't ask more (beside Fed rant) from modern tennis, and from this group . That was a display of the best tennis has to offer now . A peak at some perfected Baseline game if Imay . (disclaimer: hey , we are talking about just HC game here)

So I guess it's option 4 for me. I give it a 8 out of 10
I was also thinking what it would take to make the tournament a 5 and yep, fed was one element of it. For adding a different attacking style, as you say, but also because you want it to be all the best players. Also to be a 5 you would want all those 8 players to be competitive

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I voted "I could live without it" because it's a stupid round robin exhibition. It's not a proper tournament, only 8 players, you can lose and still advance, all the players are just concentrating on their holiday to the Maldives. It's marketed like an NBA game with pumped in music and stupid lazer shows. It's just super lame.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
indoor tournaments with no crowds are really tough. i found myself fast-forwarding quickly through all the matches. with crowds (and Fed) i think it would have been pretty superb.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Negatives
  • no offence to schwarzman but this showed very clearly (as if we werent aware) that he is not in this league. Always going to be at least 1 who is out of his depth.
his matches were snoozefests but he got unlucky with the draw on this surface. i suspect he would have performed better in the other group given he plays Rafa, Thiem and Tsitsipas tough. he also needs to be lauded for getting anywhere near this tournament given he's 5 foot tall (he is not 5'7 i'm sorry).

·
King Of Tennis
3,238 Posts
Huge success. 311+ was more or less locked up based on the way the results went so I'm very happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know why everyone is so critical of the quality. There were many outstanding rallies in Nadal/Thiem, Medvedev/Thiem and some drama in Nadal/Medvedev.

I admit, there were mistakes as well and particularly Nadal/Medvedev was full of mistakes. But it was really enjoyable to watch overall, with a battle between the generations.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Good tennis, poor event.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I voted "I could live without it" because it's a stupid round robin exhibition. It's not a proper tournament, only 8 players, you can lose and still advance, all the players are just concentrating on their holiday to the Maldives. It's marketed like an NBA game with pumped in music and stupid lazer shows. It's just super lame.
True, that is a bit of a weakness. there was a 50/50 chance in the semi finals that the result would mean the final was a repeat of one of the round robin matches which would have been annoying

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with those who say this is a young man's tournament. After Murray won in 2016, we've had different young players winning each year. They can keep going when the older ones get tired. Federer hasn't won in since 2011 and Djokovic since 2015 despite being excellent on indoor hard courts.

·
justice for all
16,227 Posts
3,5. Would be 5,0 with a different final outcome.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I don't know why everyone is so critical of the quality. There were many outstanding rallies in Nadal/Thiem, Medvedev/Thiem and some drama in Nadal/Medvedev.
There were some great rallies in Daniil Medvedev matches against Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev, wouldn't necessarilly ends with a winner but that was very high intensity stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts