• 3 - just bad, solid top-30-season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - below average maybe top-20-material

• 5 - average, good results here and there but nothing special

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 6 - above average - going deep in most big events but not all the way

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • 7 - good, winning big titles defeating some big names along the way.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 8 - Great, doing well in slams, playing consistently good tennis.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 9 - awesome, dominating the season with just a few hiccups

• 10 - Perfect, no-1-Material. Winning tons of big titles without any fluke loss

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall a mixed bag but in the end with more ups and downs. Wasn’t a bad season but when the biggest achievement is a miami title it wasn’t very good either.
Two meaningless big 3 wins and the Federer slam isn’t enough to elevate the score above a 5/10 which is my final rating for his season considering all factors. Were he still in djokovic or nadal’s age-class it would probably fall down to a 4/10 but since winning 4 titles at 37/38 is far from a given I think a 5 is ok.

dont want to go through all the tournaments of this year like I did last 2 times. We‘ve all seen it and it’s tiresome spelling it out in detail again. So here’s a short version. AO: bad, Dubai: ok, Indian Wells: good, Miami: great, Madrid: good but a choke, Rome; good but injured, RG: good but nadal, Halle: meh but a win, Wimbledon: first rule of being a federer fan. Don’t talk about Wimbledon. CincinnatI: very bad, uso: meh then great then terrible. Shanghai: terrible, Basel: great, wtf: terrible, Meh, Great, fuck off

·
justice for all
15,155 Posts
So you are lazy enough not to set a poll while asking for rating?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Overall a mixed bag but in the end with more ups and downs. Wasn’t a bad season but when the biggest achievement is a miami title it wasn’t very good either.
Two meaningless big 3 wins and the Federer slam isn’t enough to elevate the score above a 5/10 which is my final rating for his season considering all factors. Were he still in djokovic or nadal’s age-class it would probably fall down to a 4/10 but since winning 4 titles at 37/38 is far from a given I think a 5 is ok.

dont want to go through all the tournaments of this year like I did last 2 times. We‘ve all seen it and it’s tiresome spelling it out in detail again. So here’s a short version. AO: bad, Dubai: ok, Indian Wells: good, Miami: great, Madrid: good but a choke, Rome; good but injured, RG: good but nadal, Halle: meh but a win, Wimbledon: first rule of being a federer fan. Don’t talk about Wimbledon. CincinnatI: very bad, uso: meh then great then terrible. Shanghai: terrible, Basel: great, wtf: terrible, Meh, Great, fuck off
Pretty much how I view his performances in each of the tournaments except Cincinnati was without a doubt worse than Shanghai since he lost earlier and lost in straights to a worse opponent.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hopman Cup - 10/10 NID Federer Exho peak Part 1
Australian Open - 5/10 I thought Federer was in good enough form to make the final here if he didn't choke like today,but since he did rating it lower.
Dubai - 7/10 - Federers pet 500 tournament. Bad in first 3 rounds,peaked in SF-F
Indian Wells - 7/10 - Thiem peaked to deny him here(Federer couldn't handle his heavy balls a problem which plagued him throughout the year)
Miami - 9/10 - Almost perfect tournament except that first match where servebotting saved him.
Madrid - 6/10 - Didn't convert MPs against Thiem but a successful tournament overall considering a 3 year hiatus from the surface
Rome - 5/10 - Screwed by scheduling,but wasn't winning anyway
Roland Garros - 6/10 - - Screwed by windy conditions,but wasn't winning anyway
Halle - 6/10 - Pet 500, still struggled throughout the week.
Wimbledon - 9/10 - Even though the first few rounds were mediocre, peaked for the final week bar that 40-15 choke
Cincinnati - 1/10 - worst tournament since quite some time
USO - 4/10 - Bad 1st two rounds then peaked in 3rd/4th winning 87/128 and 83/119 points in them,but the back injury denied him any success here.
Laver Cup - 10/10 NID Federer Exho peak Part 2
Shanghai - 5/10 Despite Zverev not really bullying him from the baseline kept net rushing and playing into his hands
Basel - 8/10 Peaked all week but mediocre opponents except Tsitsipas
WTF - 6/10 Terrible week tbh,but props for exorcising the Djokovic demons

Overall - 6/10
40-15 probably the defining moment of the season
Shouldn't have skipped Montreal and Bercy IMO.
Overall he overperformed considering his last years form but major missed opportunities at Wimbledon and USO.
Hopefully its better in 2020

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
His season had ups and downs but overall, still pretty good considering he made a slam final and won a masters at 38 so not too bad ehh?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hopman Cup - 10/10 NID Federer Exho peak Part 1
Australian Open - 5/10 I thought Federer was in good enough form to make the final here if he didn't choke like today,but since he did rating it lower.
Dubai - 7/10 - Federers pet 500 tournament. Bad in first 3 rounds,peaked in SF-F
Indian Wells - 7/10 - Thiem peaked to deny him here(Federer couldn't handle his heavy balls a problem which plagued him throughout the year)
Miami - 9/10 - Almost perfect tournament except that first match where servebotting saved him.
Madrid - 6/10 - Didn't convert MPs against Thiem but a successful tournament overall considering a 3 year hiatus from the surface
Rome - 5/10 - Screwed by scheduling,but wasn't winning anyway
Roland Garros - 6/10 - - Screwed by windy conditions,but wasn't winning anyway
Halle - 6/10 - Pet 500, still struggled throughout the week.
Wimbledon - 9/10 - Even though the first few rounds were mediocre, peaked for the final week bar that 40-15 choke
Cincinnati - 1/10 - worst tournament since quite some time
USO - 4/10 - Bad 1st two rounds then peaked in 3rd/4th winning 87/128 and 83/119 points in them,but the back injury denied him any success here.
Laver Cup - 10/10 NID Federer Exho peak Part 2
Shanghai - 5/10 Despite Zverev not really bully him from the baseline kept net rushing and playing into his hands
Basel - 8/10 Peaked all week but mediocre opponents except Tsitsipas
WTF - 6/10 Terrible week tbh,but props for exorcising the Djokovic demons

Overall - 6/10
40-15 probably the defining moment of the season
Shouldn't have skipped Montreal and Bercy IMO.
Overall he overperformed considering his last years form but major missed opportunities at Wimbledon and USO.
Hopefully its better in 2020
I agree with most of these except I would put AO at like a 3/10 since he didn’t even make quarterfinals and he had no business losing to Tsitsipas. RG I would put at 8/10 since making the semis of clay slam at 38 is pretty damn impressive, especially considering it’s his worst surface but unfortunately wasn’t much of a challenge for Nadal. Shanghai I would put at 3/10 since he should never lose to that disgusting pusher who can’t hit a volley to save his life Shitrev. Overall though, I generally agree with your post.

·
justice for all
15,155 Posts
I think it depends how you look at it. I don't like to bring up an age excuse but:

• if you take into account that he's over 38 and 99% of the players are retired at that age then it's 10/10
  • from the perspective of his entire career, a GOAT candidate, 20-slams winner, player it was below average like 4/10

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
for a 38 year old it was very good, but close to being fantastic of course a match win here and there would have made it a very fine season indeed ie. Indian Wells and Wimbledon. Still Federer is heading towards the end of his career so any titles added at this stage as he did this year are well earned.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Federer reached his peak at W, and that alone makes this season for him better than his "glorious" multi-slam seasons during the weak era. Fed remained slamless this year only because of the stronger competition nowadays comparing to that mentioned era.

So Fed's 2019 season would be absolute 10/10 (for his standards).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Winning the most prestigious events on the calendar such as Dubai, Halle, Basel and Laver Cup surely make it one of the most successful seasons in tennis history.
He wasn’t that great this season but at least he got a masters which makes it look a little better. Winning Wimbledon would’ve made his season look way better but we all know the mighty powers of Djokovic have cursed Federer when he is up 40-15 match points.

·
Registered
16,777 Posts
Main H2H this year vs his biggest rivals: Djokerer: 1-1, Fedal 1-1 (w/o not counting)

Isn't it wonderful? ?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
6/10 but could've been 8/10.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts