Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you rate James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian, and Marat Safin according to their return of serve during their peak years? I just watched some highlights from AO'05 and TMC '05 and '06 and I remembered how great returners those 4 are :worship:

To me:

1. Hewitt
2. Blake
3. Safin
4. Nalbandian

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
1) Hewitt
2) Nalbandian
3) Safin
4) Blake

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
How would you rate James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian, and Marat Safin according to their return of serve during their peak years? I just watched some highlights from AO'05 and TMC '05 and '06 and I remembered how great returners those 4 are :worship:

To me:

1. Hewitt
2. Blake
3. Safin
4. Nalbandian
Blake, even at his best, was sort of an 50-50 returner, all or nothing and could miss every return for few games in a row. I think the others are much better.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Nalbandian
Hewitt
Safin
Blake

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
As far as returns are concerned, I think it's good to make a very strong distinction between first and second serves : it's a very different story for both.

For instance, Nalbandian is a great second-serve returner, not so good on first serve. Blake less good but quite the same phenomenon.

Hewitt was better for first serve returns.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
1. Nalbandian
2. Hewitt
3. Safin
4. Blake

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Blake's backhand return is pathetic. The forehand on second serves was immense though.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Nalbandian
Nalbandian
Nalbandian
hewitt

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
really nalbandian behind safin and BLAKE? LOL

i remember nalbandian being in the top 5 of every return statistic for a number of years. neither blake or safin are on the level of hewitt and nalbandian in terms of return of serve.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Blake is so beyond off the level of the other three players. Safin is also not really in the same zip code as Hewitt and Nalbandian were at their best because he was less consistent and because he could be moved more easily out of position with a good serve.

Hewitt is #1 on the list if you add up all factors.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
1.Nalbandian
2.Hewitt
3.Safin
4.Who cares?

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Why is Blake even included? :lol:

1. Nalbandian