Mens Tennis Forums banner

How Do You Rate (10 highest, 1 lowest)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The first week was great with many intense and thrilling matches with Tsitsipas - Alcaraz being the highlight, the second was a letdown with only 1 5 set match (in which the level was up and down), the level wasn't the highest and many matches were quite boring. The final was a big disappointment too. Since I think the 2nd week is more important and it was meh, I will give it a 6, maybe a 7 at best.

·
Registered
830 Posts
5 at max.

Too many top players missing out (Fed, Nad, Dom, Stan, etc.).
Not many great, thrilling, high quality, dramatic matches - probably only Alcaraz - Tsitsipas.

The only upside was a new slam winner but the quality of the final was abysmal.
Were you living under a rock for the first week? The matches were incredible?

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
`10

But no-one is talking about the crowds being back, that's what made it what it was (and a few other things). Aside from the atrocious crowd for the final, the crowds totally energized the matches in a way we haven't seen since the pandemic started. Everyone fed off them and tired harder.

Other highlights:
ON the women's side, the unstoppable run to the finals of the two new teen starts, Emma and leyleh, what a thriller so many of those matches were (Leylah's 3 setters) though the final itself was lackluster due to Leylah coming in tired.

TSitsi/ Murray. Tsitsi/Carlos, Felix. Tiafo thrilling matches with great tennis

Men's final: a dramatic shocker with Djok finally denied, next gen able to take down Big 3 at a slam

·
25,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Were you living under a rock for the first week? The matches were incredible?
I typically agree on guitarra's takes but this is a hot one — a lot played their heart out and while I feel there were a lot more choking than usual I didn't feel they fully folded and a lot recuperated well.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Absolutely loved the 1st week. Alcaraz- Tsitsipas, Sinner-Monfils, Berrettini-Ivashka, Zandschulp- Schwartzman matches were excellent. 2nd week was quite underwhelming though.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
A 9 from me. I would have preferred to see history made, with Djoker winning the grandslam, but that was not to be. Meddy bear deserved the title, just too good over the two weeks. Getting a new slam winner was good, and is always a positive for the sport. As good as the big 3 are, do we want a situation were the sport has no stars at all? Indeed not, we need more new slam winners.

·
Registered
757 Posts
7 from me, it felt like a changing of the guard which is great but my preference is that the younger guys make the statements by taking the older guys out. it felt more like a bunch of younger guys with a lot of heart but not great talent going deeper than their talent justified because the older guys are struggling, as you would expect, with fitness, consistency and motivation.

Obviously medvedev delivered big time but who else looked really good. Tiafoe beating rublev was a great match and perhaps a turning point for tiafoe. Any others ?
  • berretini didnt play anyone of note until he met dj and he looked very clunky against him
  • zverev looked like he didnt believe he could beat dj in 5
  • felix went deep but who did he play ? No-one until he met medvedev and he fought hard for a while and then when he got behind he disappeared
  • botic, brooksby, alcaraz and lloyd - are they actually any good or just the best of the rest
Very frustrating to see tsitsipas and shapovalov (two of my favourite players) fail to go deep. (Shap has a bucket load of talent, when is he going to deliver !!!)

Finally, dishonourable mention to some older players who are clogging up the system and wouldnt be missed if they moved on:
seppi, monfils, nishikori, dimitrov, anderson, gasquet, paire, lopez, chardy, goffin, schwarzmann (actually ill give him a pass bc its amazing someone that small can compete in the modern game),

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Didn't care to watch, only saw Djoko vs Zverev and the final. Speaks volumes about the quality of the event when it all came down to 2 matches.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Has the significance of Medvedev's achievement sunk in yet; a next generation player was finally able to break through at a GS while going through one of the Big 3. Massive. Consider:

AO since 2006, all titles won by Big 3 except 1 (2014, Stan).
RG since 2005, same thing (2015, Stan)
Wimbledon since 2003, all won by Big 4
USO bit of an outlier, and you had Thiem win it last year. Stan won it in 2016.

But counting all GSs, outside of the Big 5 you've only had one slam winners in Cilic (b. 1988) at USO 2014 and Delpo (b. 1988) at USO 2009 who have managed to beat the Big 3 on their way to a GS. 2 times out of 67 GSs. And now 3 with Medvedev (b. 1996).

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Historical.. so not going to go into that..

Quality of matches.. I say 6/10.. No.. there is not some super revelations on men's side. some good games, but not super great. Same mental ups and downs from players like Zverev.. Besides, the historical significance.. it was really an average.. I rate performances slightly better than Wimbledon 2020, but.. overall meh..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Best slam in ages. Lots of fantastic matches during first week, BvdZ's amazing run, Alcaraz's breakthrough and a new slam champion.
Combined with the women's competition it was the best major in a looooooooooooooong time.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I rate it a ten purely because the crowd pissed off all the Europeans. 😎 (y) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I mean my god, it's sport, let's get some fucking energy in there.

This isn't fucking golf.

·
Registered
29 Posts
USO doesn't usually produce great matches given its timing, but this USO was good .....last great USO was in 2016.....In terms of producing great matches no slam comes close to AO.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts