Mens Tennis Forums banner

How would you rate the 2014 Wimbledon Championships?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's open this before it's too late. You can take also doubles as well as WTA into account, if you want.

Favourites weren't going out at the same rate as last year but still we got an interesting SF line-up, two experienced top players and two new top 10 players. In the end the more experienced players made the final but the final was great. Pospisil/Sock's title run in doubles was also cool and on women's side, Kvitova was very impressive.

I give it a 8.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Kvitova is the champion women's tennis needs, but obviously it deserves bugger all

Anyway, the crocodile saved tennis, a dire situation in itself, from the grasping, wig-snatching claws of the smug Swiss

We can only hope that next year gives us a real final

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
10! Some great upsets, young guns stepping up and then a brilliant final.

The women's side had some epic stuff too, with some great matches (Venus vs Petra, Maria vs angie) and then a wonderful winner.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Best slam of the year, though that's not saying much to be fair. Good winner and OK final + a nice upset in Kyrgios beating Nadal. Murray QF horror show, Raonic making the SF and Fed's ridiculously lucky draw were significant negatives for me though. 7/10.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Best slam of the year, though that's not saying much to be fair. Good winner and OK final + a nice upset in Kyrgios beating Nadal. Murray QF horror show, Raonic making the SF and Fed's ridiculously lucky draw were significant negatives for me though. 7/10.

What is lucky draw of Federer you are talking ? I have not seen more lucky than Rafa here! Murray had an easier one! Because Rafa does not feel well on grass it is tough draw. Do you think Raonic has an easy serve ?! What about Wawrinka? They both are top 10 players.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Kvitova is the champion women's tennis needs, but obviously it deserves bugger all

Anyway, the crocodile saved tennis, a dire situation in itself, from the grasping, wig-snatching claws of the smug Swiss

We can only hope that next year gives us a real final
so much hate in your posts, I don't even know who do you root for

August is right, scale 8/10 is just about right for WC14

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty good ratings so far. I assume most Nabull and Murphy tards are on vacation since last week.

·
23,063 Posts
To tell the truth there were not much good matches, maybe except for Kyrgios-Nadal, Stepanek-Djokovic, Djokovic-Dimitrov (yes, I like it, haha) and Djokovic-Federer so that would make it 7/10 for me but the storylines of Young Guns rising, Canada rising, Fed's journey, Djokovic breaking the Finals duck again, Vasek and Jack's doubles story, WTA's story in general (Bouchard finally reaching the Final of a Slam and Kvitova winning her 2nd Wimbledon) makes the overall feeling 8.5/10.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
for me 9. Great final, no NID champion at any time in the tournament for, winner had to fight through adversity against the best player on the surface, reclaims number 1 etc. Great upsets, Kyrgrios breakthrough.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
It was great to see Dimitrov and Raonic break through, but I was really looking forward to watching Djokovic-Murray and Nadal-Federer in the semifinals. The semifinal matchups were boring to me IMO, but the Final was full of great drama. 8/10

·
Registered
21,282 Posts
Well it was decent tournament, but really it was mainly the final which was of excellent quality imo that made it decent imo. Because other than that, it was not really not that special. the Semifinals were terrible and that was the disappointing part. It's was nice to see Dimitrov and Raonic make it far though, it was about time the new generation made an impact. Kyrgios run was pretty impressive, saving loads of mps against Gasquet and of course beating Nadal.

Overall I'll give it a 7.5/10. I would say it's the best slam this year, and the good thing about this slam is that it had a great final, RG was average and AO was bad due to Nadal's injury. AO would have been the best slam if the final was decent, but since it didn't have a decent final, while Wimbledon did, Wimbledon is my pick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts